Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and submarine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Lurchio, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not really posted here as of much, have just been watching these forums over the past few weeks regarding this topic. Mainly due to the fact i join a 22 in the new year.

seems its announced then...

This is Plymouth

2. I said this a long time ago and I will repeat it now.

Drake is to become home to the Royal Marines and the Dockyard to the amphibious fleet. It was obvious, all the building work that has taken place and the amount of new accommodation is far in excess of what any RN base would now need.

3. As a T22 man, good news, seeing that T22s have been extended out to 2017 I leave 2013, so no dog shit city **** for me

4. Cynical mode on:

With the majority of the fleet in the (very visible) Portsmouth dockyard, is this all a PR stunt to make the RN look bigger?

5. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Nice one. Lets base all D/D and F/Fs in Pompy and then refit them all in Guzz. That should please everyone...Not

How much will the duty travel budget be hit for?!!

6. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Hey - they can do the ole bus run again, stopping at Bridport for tea and stickies, them was the days.

7. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

God I remember the coaches, I used to have to get it to stop in Wimborne, Dorset as it was the nearest it went to where I lived. That cafe/tiolet stop in Bridport was a life saver.

SM

:)

8. It already looks larger than it is with all those mothballed alongside!

9. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Submariners in the future will all speak with a Scotish accent,
    because, unless there are some major incentives (or drafting
    to submarine service/training goes through the roof), this future
    move is going to bring it's own unique set of problems along for
    the ride.

Submariner? Well - you've got ONE choice of base port.

Skimmer? Well - you've got TWO.....at the moment.

Like I said in a previous thread....we'll ALWAYS have HMSM/L GLEANER,
    but I've heard that's being based up in Stornoway pretty soon.

10. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

i take it that s/m training will also move to faslane, will it effect raliegh ?

11. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Raleigh and Dartmouth will be staying put. Sounds like the SBS won't be moving though.

12. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Most of the SM school will move, local news said 3 T boats to Faslavatory (as I said in another thread) and 4 to remain in Guzz. What they didn't say was that the 4 in Guzz will be de-commissioned ones, nice bit of spin.

13. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Why move from there. It's a lovely part of the country.
    Wish I could afford one of those designer houses looking out to sea or one near Harry Rednapp on the banks. 8)

14. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

Joking aside this says it all about the current state of the Mob! How to ruin a whole part of the UK instead of keeping them all up and running so you keep jolly jack content! I thought the people were the most important thing but as nobody was asked! All those Continous Attitude Surveys that get sent out must be doing just the trick! 8O

15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Most of the SM school will move, local news said 3 T boats to Faslavatory (as I said in another thread) and 4 to remain in Guzz. What they didn't say was that the 4 in Guzz will be de-commissioned ones, nice bit of spin."

Not quite - 3 will move on completion of their refits, while the other 4 will be based there till decomissioning.

I'm not quite sure why this is coming as such a shock - its been open knowledge for years that we'll be basing the Astutes and SSBNs in Faslane.

16. Re: Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and subma

No, it just makes sense, face it, the mob isn't big enough to justify 2 bases for the surface fleet, all the training establishments are in Pompey and it is the Historical home of the RN.

It makes perfect sense. If you don't like it, bang out. like I have :D

Edited to add Guzz is sh1t and full of Janner cnuts so as far as I'm concerned a scorched earth policy would be best.