PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Weekend At Sea Features Swarm Attacks And Cream Teas"

soleil

War Hero
"Iran-style swarm attacks, man overboard exercises, helicopters, war movies, hot dogs and football, roast dinners and cream teas with HMS Sutherland

If you've even wondered what it's like to spend a weekend at sea with the Royal Navy, a series of tweets shared by one of its warships will give you a flavour.

As you'd expect, it's pretty action packed - and included repelling swarm attack as used by Iran and man overboard exercises. But the weekend wound down with roast dinners, war movies and Premier League football - and even found time to settle the age-old argument about whether jam or cream goes first on a cream tea.

Plymouth based warship Type 23 Frigate HMS Sutherland is currently conducting Maritime Security Operations (MarSyOps) and her crew have a had a busy few days training - but also enjoyed a few tastes of home."

However, the day soon hotted up - although not for crew member AB (RN Police) Taylor, for whom things got very cold - when he had his first swimmer-of-Watch (SOW) duty during a man-overboard exercise (MOBEX).

I thought they at least got their rate after training?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
However, the day soon hotted up - although not for crew member AB (RN Police) Taylor, for whom things got very cold - when he had his first swimmer-of-Watch (SOW) duty during a man-overboard exercise (MOBEX).

I thought they at least got their rate after training?
That's what they join up as, they have to do time as an AB (about a year I think) before getting rated up.