PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told"

soleil

War Hero
"The Royal Navy does not have enough ships to police the UK's fisheries after Brexit, its former head has said.

The comments by Lord West of Spithead, the former First Sea Lord, came in a house of Lords debate about a European Union Committee Report into implementation and enforcement of EU Landing Obligations, an EU policy which seeks to curb the controversial discarding of fish.

Lord Teverson said he supported "the Government entirely in what I hope is their intention to keep this policy, but we have to make sure that we have a way to implement it".

However, Lord West said: "We have insufficient ships within our fishery protection squadron to carry out enforcement at the level he is talking about"

More here:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Lord West, the Labour Lord, is very good at this sort of statement, just a shame he didn't do it when he was in post as 1SL.

Taken from https://web.archive.org/web/20040812105400/http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rn/content.php3?page=1&article=816

Lord West said:
"We must continue the shift in emphasis away from measuring strength in terms of hull numbers and towards the delivery of military effects... I am confident that these changes will leave the Navy better organised and equipped to face the challenges of the future."
Funny, almost seems like he said we don’t need that many ships, now he’s saying we don’t have enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
Simple solution, get a few fishermen to sign up like the RFA do, Sponsored Reservists, then arm a few fishing boats and let them patrol the fishing grounds.....

I'm sure the lads at Newlyn would enjoy policing the French after the years of shit they've had to take....

(Partly tongue in cheek, partly serious)

Also with modern technology it should be easier to keep an eye on things, satellites etc have come on in leaps and bounds since the Cod wars..