Plymouth - Economy at risk if navy jobs go

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Jul 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News

Would a "reduced" Guzz dockyard be good for the RN? bad for plymouth obviously.

The MOD could save a lot of money by closing/reducing Guzz.

Annington homes could make a tidy profit by selling "surplus" MQ's

PS I am a PFK.

2. Hey-ho.
    PFK

3. It would a great shame if Guzz dockyard was reduced; not just for dockyard maties but for matelots as well. Pompey is a shitehole. However, times change and the University is probably as big an employer these days as the dockyard, although they probably don't need many dockyard tradesmen! The fact that there is a Labour MP in Plymouth might make the difference between closure and survival.

4. Having just disagreed with wardmaster on another thread, I find myself agreeing here. I grew up in the Pompey area and joined the RN to get away from the place. The area around Plymouth has so much going for it, it would be a shame if the Navy left.

Whether it will close though? I've long thought that at this moment in time it was probably safer than Pompey, largely Labour MPs here, Tory up there. The latest news good though, with the majority of the surface fleet in Pompey and all the submarines in Faslane. It does look like the navy will be having a drastically reduced prescence in the area.

5. If guzz closed, what % of the citys income is derived fom the Dockyard. Pompey has always had everything going for it, history, class and nice people.

6. It would hurt the local economy in my eyes.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Tommo: You've got an "economy in your eyes"? Shouldn't it be in your pocket? Or have you neglected to use a comma in an appropriate place?! :wink:

8. More than likely the later one. I'm a Welshman living in sunny Cornwall. I don't speak good England I'm afraid. lol

9. sgtpepperband

Aah, so you can swim then? Lots of sheep on that there peninsula, I hear... :wink:

10. Where should the comma be? "It would hurt the local economy, in my eyes"? Nah.

11. Who gives a toss ? - about the comma or the economy :thumright:

12. The same thing was said about Chatham when they closed the yard there, and this was after spending zillions of pounds building a nuclear facility there.
    The economy survived with a bot of a job, but has since gone on to better things not dependent on the mob.
    Mind, I do wonder sometimes if they have told the homebuyers on St Mary's Island about the old toxic dumps there ????

:)

13. Ah, St Mary's.

I went to church there at lunchtime, reglar!

14. Dockyard puts about 850 Million into the local economy..

This on the scheme of thing is Not as much percentage wise as it used to be.

NHS, Plymouth UNI, New medical school, PYI, have taken up the slack, thus students and other Local firms contribute Considerably more. The base will shrink but I can not see it closing as it will be the home to the Amphibious group, and FOST for some time to come.

15. Mind you I suspect that it is unlikely the dockyard itself will lose out, no one else is going to maintain the nuclear boats, evenif we have very fewsurface ships to maintain. Also I suspect the SSN squadron cannot be accomodated at Faslane or Portsmaouth so it will saty, as will FOST, so perhaps not alldoom and gloom.

16. Indeed I f*ck the sheep, People then eat them. All good! :w00t: :thumright:

17. There is only 1 Faslane based SSN still running. They are currently building a brand new "super mess" in Neptune. When we get down to, probably, the last 3 T boats (8 years time ?) then I have no doubt they will be moved to Faslane. Submarine upkeep periods (i.e. RAMPs/ LOP) will remain in Guzz for the foreseeable but in terms of a base for running SSNs then the writing is on the wall :thumright:

18. That just means that closure of Neptune is a dead cert ;)

It probably then makes perfect sense to relocate the submarine community to Grimsby or similar...

19. Here, here! It nearly broke my heart when they closed RNH Stonehouse, the miserable sh*ts.

20. sgtpepperband

That's no way to talk about your patients! 8O :wink: