Pls tell me 1 thing that made joining the RN worthwhile!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mindy, Dec 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Basically, everyone has at least one story about THAT moment when you think "yeah, so glad I joined!" (I realise that this is a very wholesome, severely edited version of the language that would actually be used in one's head or out of one's mouth!)..... what was yours? :rambo:
  2. First draft to Singapore 1968, money for old rope.
  3. Just one. I can think of loads. 18 years old in the Far East wine women and song as the record goes!!!!

Equally I can think of many bad memories but they are outweighed by the good ones.
  4. Besides the Far East, (newby says 'wheres that'), all that loverly pensh now I'm hundreds of years old. Couldn't survive without it.
  5. 18th Birthday in Bermuda (fantastic)
    21st Birthday in Portsmouth (not so fantastic)
    12 months in Hong Kong (best time of all)
    Weekend/leave periods
    There are lots more..........
  6. Pension I suppose.
  7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

A day at Ocean Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. But the story is 1010 words long. Doubt if it will fit on this site!
  8. One thing??? I've got a few.

My first foreign port Hamburg.
    My first ship
    My first time firing a rifle
    My first time firing 20mm
    My first time deployment
    My first run ashore (anywhere in the Navy)
    My first pay packet from the mob
    NTG2k Global Deployment.
    The Far East
    Being Boat Coxswain on Fish

The list is endless
  9. The far east, runs ashore and up the line.It was the bits in between that I didnt go much on.
  10. Well it cant have been the VAST amount of Seatime i did,so it must have been the ability to inflict pain and discomfort on Senior Rates and Officers!
  11. Pull up a bollard and I'll spin you a dit...
  12. Having my 18th Birthday in Hong Kong, absolutely brilliant.

13. Finding the Golden Rivet on the Massive.
    Every meal a feast every payday a fortune.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A nice suit.
  15. First time I went to Brazil.
  16. The redundancy money when I left.

17. Realising that I was working and living with a bunch of blokes who would would share their last fag/wet/quid/clean civvy shirt with me, would risk a kicking to save me from one, and knowing I'd do the same for them. Never found it in civvy street.
  18. Via the beauty salon? Surely a sailor needs all his bodily hair?
  19. Being given 7 days 9's the day before entering Fat Stan's Disco for 5 days !!!!
  20. Was it a cashmere one from Vietnam for £70?