Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by brazenhussy, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ditto , dont bloody do it , the stuff of nightmares , aaaaaahhhhhh
  2. NNNNoooooo. enough was enough or in the case of the spice girls far too much
  3. I think they've all finally realised that they're f*** all use for anything else.

Mind you, they weren't exactly influential music gurus in the first place.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The MILF Girls more like...
  5. Actually I do think they revolutionised the popular music world, although not by their singing. The Spice Girls were initially an experiment of mixed success. I forget who their first manager was, but the story goes that he just picked them off the streets of Manchester and asked if they would like to be pop singers. He then invested the vocal training in them and pushed them through to celebritydom.

Of course, his greatest failing is that he badly wrote the contract, which allowed the girls to fire him and manage themselves.

The reason that they revolutionised the musical world is because they promoted this idea that anyone could be a popstar, and from this it has changed the way that singers become successful. Traditionally singers would have to submit demo tapes to producers and talent scouts would notice people who were 'in the right place at the right time'. Now its all done by televised auditions (eg: Pop Idol, Star Academy, etc) and these days, it doesn't seem to matter whether a singer is actually any good for them to be successful.

On another cultural note, I can also theorise that by promoting 'girl power' they put the belief in the minds of generations of young girls that it was OK to be who they are, and these girls have grown up to be fat and ugly pigs. Cheers, girls!
  6. Nice one Peter ! LOL :D and there are almost certainly more fat and ugly pigs around than there are copies of Spice Girls records.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think it happened years before them. What about the Monkees? Actors who could sing, created for a TV programme. The records came later...