Please--NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

#4
I think they've all finally realised that they're f*** all use for anything else.

Mind you, they weren't exactly influential music gurus in the first place.
 
#6
TattooDog said:
Mind you, they weren't exactly influential music gurus in the first place.
Actually I do think they revolutionised the popular music world, although not by their singing. The Spice Girls were initially an experiment of mixed success. I forget who their first manager was, but the story goes that he just picked them off the streets of Manchester and asked if they would like to be pop singers. He then invested the vocal training in them and pushed them through to celebritydom.

Of course, his greatest failing is that he badly wrote the contract, which allowed the girls to fire him and manage themselves.

The reason that they revolutionised the musical world is because they promoted this idea that anyone could be a popstar, and from this it has changed the way that singers become successful. Traditionally singers would have to submit demo tapes to producers and talent scouts would notice people who were 'in the right place at the right time'. Now its all done by televised auditions (eg: Pop Idol, Star Academy, etc) and these days, it doesn't seem to matter whether a singer is actually any good for them to be successful.

On another cultural note, I can also theorise that by promoting 'girl power' they put the belief in the minds of generations of young girls that it was OK to be who they are, and these girls have grown up to be fat and ugly pigs. Cheers, girls!
 
#7
Peter said:
...........On another cultural note, I can also theorise that by promoting 'girl power' they put the belief in the minds of generations of young girls that it was OK to be who they are, and these girls have grown up to be fat and ugly pigs. Cheers, girls!
Nice one Peter ! LOL :D and there are almost certainly more fat and ugly pigs around than there are copies of Spice Girls records.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#8
Peter said:
Actually I do think they revolutionised the popular music world, although not by their singing. The Spice Girls were initially an experiment of mixed success.
I think it happened years before them. What about the Monkees? Actors who could sing, created for a TV programme. The records came later...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Submariners 13
andym The Fleet 13
Jenny_Dabber The Quarterdeck 20

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts