"Please Log in" ??

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Dec 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ~~~~~

(My Norton is a current version and in date.)

I am already logged in but every time I change a RR page a dialogue box appears every time instructing me to:

<<...Please Log in. (preceded by a Keyhole Symbol)

Server - api.viglink.com

Message - jive SBS

Username - An empty Box where the Cursor awaits an input

Password - An empty Box

your password will be sent unencrypted

At the bottom right of this dialogue box there is a button choice for "Submit" or "Cancel"

Choosing "Cancel" allows me to proceed as normal and I am still able to post without submitting any Username/Password.

It is rather irritating and seems to serve no essential purpose so, being ever conscious of those "Nasty Phisher-men", could Good/Bad CO or Admin investigate and advise:

Is anyone else affected?

Is it genuine or not?

If not - How can I get rid of it?

2. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I have the most up-to-date Norton too, Bob, and I seen nothing like the above.

Bad CO to the rescue?
  3. ~~~~~

Update -

PC restarted & scanned, just a couple of low risk cookies found & removed and hoo-piggin'-ray, panic over: That offending dialog box has now gone away!

FYI - A bit of googling resulted in this post at api.viglink.com/api/click - Straight Dope Message Board

<<...Viglink is indeed a partner of ours; we get a small commission every time you click on a link to one of their clients. The process is supposed to be more or less invisible and doesn't load any software on your computer...>>

I'm guessing its a harmless mini program, attempting to sneak in and gain a wee slice of whatever referral action between networking sites is available for their middle man (in Nigeria:angry4:?).

Anyway - The All Clear has been sounded, my barge pole is stood down to the standby mode; now back at Readiness state 4SQ. Back on your heads!