please help!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ldh89, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just passed my psychometric for the marines so my medical will be very soon. I started training about 3 months ago but have noticed that even though i can run 4/5 miles on a treadmill with out hindernace, occasionaly after maybe a mile in cold weather my chest goes tight and i cant breathe!, even after sitting down it still takes a bout 10 minutes before i can breathe clearly. When i was 13 i was given an inhaler for asthma but it was never used it and never needed it, even after doing lifeguard training for over a year and cycling in cold weather everyday. I went to the doctor about this recently and he had written my concern on my medical record, even though i asked him not to. Will my AFCO medical doctor dismiss me straight away beacuse of my concern and my medical history or is there a chance i can still pass, as this only happens irregularly and could just be down to social smoking. Please help, i dont want to f*** this up.
    thanks
    ldh89

2. ldh89

Welcome to Rum Ration!

We have a contributor to Rum Ration who is a RN Doctor. He is going to probably be the best one to advise on this. He seems to look at the questions in this section every day or so but I can't say when that is more precisely.

I'm pretty confident that by this time tomorrow, though, he will have answered this for you.

3. thanks man, i was also told by my uncle that even if i was to pass out of lympstone, that marines with any history of asthma or wheezing are only assigned to fleet protection or guard duty! and would not go to afghan. Is this true also?
    thanks for the help, im a bit panicd about rejection of my application
    ldh89

4. Couple of issues here:

1- "Social smoking" covers a variety of sins - all of which increase your risk of cancer (of just about every organ in the body) and decrease your aerobic fitness.

2- Asthma tends to be worse in cold weather, and often only comes on with exertion. I think you need full assessment with things called peak flow (blowing into a tube to see how fast air can exit your lungs) and spirometry (which is a machine which draws a curve of the rate of air exiting your lungs which shows if you have asthma or not). It all sounds a bit asthmatic, but it could just be the grumbling end of a cold which you invariably have had over the past 6 weeks. Peak flow and spirometry are the only ways you will know.

3- If you were given an inhaler at 13 (don't know what age you are now) you will probably initially fail the medical until you can prove you are not asthmatic now. This will involve using the aforementioned peak flow meter a few times a day for a month and recording the values. It sounds harsh, but it's the only way we can do it. You will need to see either your GP or practice asthma nurse to get the equipment.

4- If you have asthma, you may not even enter CTCRM never mind join a specific branch.

5- Not wanting it recorded on your notes. With respect, are you insane? There is potentially a medical problem which could take you out whilst in the middle of a field somewhere, and your mates will have to dig out to get you sorted instead of focussing on the job at hand - all because you didn't want something written down so you could have a go? You need to think about priorities.

In all seriousness, asthma is a potentially life-threatening condition - young people die as a result of it. I have seen 5 admitted to critical care units and all had a relatively stormy time - all in the past few months. I have seen several deaths. Just because it is common doesn't mean it isn't serious.

For your sake, and that of your potential oppos, you need to get this sorted out. Is it possible you will sneak through the medical - yes, unlikely given your documentation, but people do sneak through occasionally. What you have to think about is the effect this may have - if you get out to Afghanistan and as the Chinook lifts you get a dust cloud in the face and have an asthma flare-up then you are bugger all use and will be a logistical nightmare trying to get you treated and back to a place of safety.

Angrydoc
    RN Medical Officer
    Moderator, Health & Fitness

5. Apologies for the late reply and opening up a relatively old thread!

But..same thing happens to me r.e. running in the cold weather and finding it difficult to breathe. I had inhalers when I was younger and declared so on my medical form and did the required "peak flow" for 28 days and was passed into RN. Yes it hurts when running in the cold...I just drink plenty of water, slow down and wait for it to pass and start again...good luck with the medical and just keep going and be positive.

Jen

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The rigours of Commando Recruit Training are significantly more demanding than standard RN training & it usually exposes any traces of asthma that have not been previously declared or were medically assessed as being "free from symptoms". Perusing CTCRM wastage returns, there have been about a dozen guys discharged "NFA Med" through asthma in the last few years.

Those struggling with breathing before even undergoing PRMC are statistically unlikely to pass selection unfortunately.

As Angrydoc has stated, the rules are there to protect the wellbeing of the individual & those that rely on them.

7. Hey, sorry to be annoying. I understand the policy regarding asthma. I am 5 nearly 6 years clear, If I have to do a peak flow test over a month. What should I be aiming to get? I'm 18 years old, 5ft 8 and weigh 11st.
    Thanks

8. The Dr who medicals you during the selection is in honesty the only person who can tell you if you are fit. Just fill the forms out correctly and get them back to your AFCO.

SM

9. Normal for you is 550-570 L.min-1

10. I know this may sound stupid,but , I went running once when I first started training and experienced a tight chest in cold weather, after a bit of research it turns out that I was breathing wrong whilst running and the cold made my chest hurt. Read up on breathing techniques and try them out...in through the nose , out through the mouth.

11. Sound. I'm getting 500 at the moment, however I'm increasing the amount of times i run and swim per week by a lot and also bettering my 1.5mile run (under 10.5 minutes). Will that alter the peak flow at all?

12. You can't alter your peak flow by fitness. It is related to your height. Technically, if you learn to control your ombushure (wind players do this), you can improve the figure but not by that much.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is this the same technique to stop premature ejaculation? :?

14. what would you infer from a 184cm middle-aged man getting 800?

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You provocative bastid - I got wood!

16. Did you kick him in the bollocks to get that reading?

17. Jeez NS never had you down as a master of stating the friggin obvious!!! ;-)

18. Joe - I'm 174cm and blow about 750. Don't know if that's a blackcat or not!

19. On the face of it, it looks like it is a blackcat, but the scale ends at 800, so even though I achieved noticeably more, the result was recorded as 800. We would need a blow-off to be sure.

That still doesn't answer my original question though.