Please help, seamanship manual

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by welsharcherterry2, Aug 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i remember buying a seamanship manual, in the 70's with a light blue cover and it had every thing in it from Rank and anchors to sailing and well seamanship, cant find a copy anywhere and although it very well maybe out of print was, i feel the best source of info a newby would require, problem is my two have joined the sea cadets and i would love to give them a good start by finding this book, anyone with any info please reply thanks Terry
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Dont get your hopes up but im sure ive got one in the loft
  5. Are they not issued anymore?
  6. I think I may have two copies PM me and you can have one buckshe. :thumright:
  7. We were issued a big fat photocopy of BR67 (Supplement) basically a watered down and far cheaper thing to issue!
  8. I've got a couple of canuck manuals on seamanship, you're welcome to one of those as well. I also have a small backpocket book on "Know your Pipes" that might be of more use to a cadet corps than taking up room in a box. Let me know if you'd like them.
  9. Welsh Cherry I have a copy you can have just having a beer prob with PMing I will try again tomorrow. Still buckshe but don't tell anyone I might be a nice guy.
  10. Most big towns/cities have a HM Stationary shop.Newcastle certainly has.
    Those kind enough to offer to give their books away, think again,I have always regretted giving away or binning good books.
  11. I am a collector of Seamanship manuals and Naval Ratings Handbooks.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has copies for sale, or better still, free to a good home!

(Just putting my anorak on)
  12. I'm competing with you for Naval Ratings Handbooks! ;)

I'm also interested in obtaining a copy of the RN Training Service Regulations for 1937.
  13. I once saw copy of the "original" leather bound seamanship manual from about 1862.

Held it in my hands.

Offfered the guy a blank cheque.

Wouldnt take it.

Ive got the hardback copy of the current edition though, but its not the same.

My current oldest is 1907 Vol 2. Full of wonderful descriptions of coaling ship in foreign ports and how to man a warship in the dockyard, including how to allocate messdecks etc.

All in wonderful Edwardian English.