please help me !!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by -buggy-, Dec 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, right where do i start ?? well i left the mob on the 26th october this year and it was because (i have no problem admitting) that i couldnt keep up with the training as a WAFU . i was at sultan for about 5 weeks and requested a branch change. unfortunatley the only branch i could change to was a submariner and i really really dont want to be a submariner. so the only choice i had was PVR before i was discharged for failing. the problem is i miss the mob so much and regret leaving but i didnt hsve much choice really . im wondering if anybody can tell me the waiting dates for the other branches - preferrably SA or Writers. i really hope someone can enlighten me before i take the trip down to the AFCO . my RORRS says i dont need to wait until i can re-enter i just rather know if the SA or Writer jobs are available in the near future , if not can anybody tel me which ones are.

thanks a lot :)

2. What's the problem with being a submariner? It's an excellent career.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Think about this one Scabz, He's a failed Wafu :dwarf:

4. Chin up mate :) Some jobs aren't for everyone so don't get yourself all screwed up into a ball over it.
    Up to date information regarding intakes etc really is the forte of our very own expert in such matters, who will i'm SURE be around quite soon to point you in the right direction. He might be away for Christmas though, so enjoy the holiday period without a care and you will be running around again panicking about your kit in no time.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Buggy,

The interesting thing about your AET training is that you scored high enough in the recruiting test (RT) to prove you had the intellectual ability to successfully undergo phase two training if you were prepared to work hard.

The reason you are not permitted to transfer to any branch "in service" is because there are dozens that join each year in a branch they do not wish to be in, but then wish to queue-jump into the job they wanted, without the wait.

The reason you were offered a transfer to the submarine service was because there are training places immediately available due to a shortage of volunteers. (Hence the "Golden Hello" & the £1k bounty).

Again you are falling into the trap of trying to get back in at any cost, wondering which trade will take you first. The thing to remember, if you PVR'd is that second time around you have to complete all training & serve 2.5 years return of service before you submit your 12 months notice to leave. In other words you will serve at least 4 years without an early release option & you will most definitely not be allowed to transfer jobs.

For the branches specified, you could probably re-join around June/July 08, however the Logs (CS) (P) [CHEF!] or Logs (CS) (D) [Steward] currently have slightly less waiting time (3-4 months).

The thing is that you scored relatively high in the RT, so why not try a technical trade such as ET(ME)- waiting time around 8-9 months?

Be aware you MAY, have to undergo Raleigh again.

Choose carefully & the best of luck to you.

6. he'll fit right in then

7. He may have to do Raleigh again !!

Imagine having to do Ganges again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. wow you are so wise Ninja i bet you used to be BAR manager

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, sarcasm doesn't become you, Brendan. Ninja's advice is based on his current job. Do some research into oher RR members before you give 'em shit... :roll:

10. great thanks for the info ninja. i hope to be able to enter asap. iknow what you mean about que jumpers i met a few ! anyway i will be off to the local AFCO to chat with my addvisor. im aware of the PVR option being taken away but that doesnt bother me as i never wanted to leave in the first place! anyway thanks for the info its a big help :)

11. That was not Sarcasm Sergeant it was apprieciation to the good job he does but may i take this opportunity to wish you a happy Christmas

12. That sir could NEVER be considered you would have to be a fecking loony.

Listen to the N Stoker, his advice is ALWAYS SPOT ON.

In the mean time enjoy Chrimbo, and start looking AFTER the holiday!

Best wishes Mate

Pinch

13. Aye best of luck Buggy , and have a good xmas .

14. ninja, just a quick q. what would you say is the chance of me having to re-do raleigh ?

15. Ninja_Stoker

It's at the discretion of the individual Branch Manager whether you have to undertake Raleigh again.

Quite often it depends on the standards achieved in training overall & whether or not it is deemed necessary to establish your motivation to re-join. If, for example, an individual had disciplinary issues surrounding their previous desire to leave, then undergoing Phase One training re-affirms the individuals attitude to discipline & authority.

You have to bear in mind there aren't many employers that would accept your resignation after spending thousands of dib-dobs training you, then simply accept you back on a whim. Essentially you will need to convince the employer this time that you merit the further investment.

The very best of luck to you. :thumright:

16. Hi.
    Firstly, you should be in possesion of a letter from your last DO informing you that you have exercised your right to PVR. This letter should also state when you are allowed to re-apply to join the RN i.e. 6 months/one year/whatever. If you do not have this letter then the AFCO will have to fo some phoning around. This should have been made clear to you when you saw the Commander.
    Secondly - unless things have changed, should you re-enter the service within 18 months you will not have to re-do Phase One. You will enlist as a partially trained trainee. You may spend one/two days with the recruit school getting kitted out etc. Then you'll be moved to your Phase two school.
    Thirdly, as others have asked - what's wrong with submarines? It really bugs me sometimes when some people who have basically 'failed' or 'jumped ship' from their chosen branch and seem to have some sort sort of preconception about what submarines are and what the training structure is and generally can't be bothered to get off their fat arses and find out about it. It's not only the trainees fault - this extends out to the 'caring-sharing' div staff who seem to adopt the attitude that the submarine service is some sort of 'last chance saloon' before being kicked out of the mob. Nothing is further from the truth - believe you me. Your Div staff have done you a dis-service (IMHO) and you haven't had the bottle to find out for yourself what the facts are. :threaten:

Happy New Year BTW. :thumright:

17. Ninja_Stoker

Good points Polto,

The letter from the Commodore & the "wastage return" sent to the relevant AFCO advise the waiting time before the applicant may re-join. In this case, I believe Guppy has been told he may re-apply immediately, judging by his opening post. The "wastage return" records the PSO's comments & the mandatory waiting period, if any.

The fact that an individual may re-join within 18 months as a Part Trained Re-Entry (PTRE) rather than an Un-Trained Re-Entry (UTRE) is as at discretion of the branch manager. There was a recent case of a Commodore's Prize winner rejoining as an UTRE- so the conditions on which the person left, very much dictate the terms on re-entry. In other words those that leave are strongly advised not to burn your bridges.

Once you submit PVR, for example, the individual re-joining no-longer has that right and must complete the Standard Initial Training Period (SITP), 2.5 years Return of service (except Nurses and Artificers- 3.5 years) before they can submit 12 months notice to leave.

I agree very much with regard your comments on the perception given of the Submarine Service by allowing it to be offered as a "last ditch" option because there may be training places immediately available. It would be far better for all concerned if the individual simply left & then re-applied for the trade they wish to join, rather than offered the luxury of a branch change after making the recruit sign a contract on the understanding that a branch change is not an option - it sends out entirely incorrect signals about the silent service & is contradictory.

Happy new one, by the way :thumright:

18. Hi - Ninja - happy new one too.

Interesting point that about the prize winner - I was unaware of that 'roulette' style of dishing out training!! :w00t: One would've thought I'd be wiser by now!! Still a bit green round the edges apparently!!

19. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair, it's fairly rare for an individual to have to undergo phase one a second time if they complete it to an acceptable standard, but it's worth someone re-joining being made aware that it's a possibility.

Another oddity is that a trained RM Commando transferring to the RN, would usually have to undergo RN Phase One training too. Again, transfers tend to be the other way around, but these things pop up from time to time.

20. Yup - seen this before or at least similar. A fully trained pongo fresh from Iraq - all medalled up etc - 'There you go sonny - learn how to polish shoes the RN way!' One I knew soon left, another has just been removed from the submarine stream after completing all training except SETT. Due to a medical problem, he's gone back to his tank unit to carry on hurling bombs at the baddies in Iraq/Afghanistan seemingly not fit for SETT. Beggars belief really. About time someone woke up to the realities and allowed some leeway - imo of course.