Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLCE and body armour

Mitch

Badgeman
I know this may sound like a really bone question but what are the troops issued with in terms of webbing?

And also does the body armour issued actually do anything to protect against an hv round?

tom_cdt_l/cpl

Midshipman
Troops are issued with PLCE (Personal Load Carrying Equipment), some troops buy their own, or they can get their hands on the PLCE assault vests.

As for the body armour im not to sure about this but it is apparently quite good for stopping rounds, but a gap is caused apparently (correct me if im wrong) around the arm area leaving it exposed while shooting. As for the webbing and the body armour the new Osprey and Kestrel (Kestrel being the one that is used by 'top covers' on land rovers because it gives better protection from I.E.D's, because the user can add extra plating around the neck, groin and arm areas) have loops (similar to the American MOLLE loops) attached to them in order for Ammo and Utility pouches to be fitted on to the users personal prefrence.

smallarms

Midshipman
I was informed that its not designed to stop rounds, rather to hold all your bits'n'pieces in place afterwards. Although the plates are pretty good I would imagine.

chris

Midshipman
smallarms said:
I was informed that its not designed to stop rounds, rather to hold all your bits'n'pieces in place afterwards. Although the plates are pretty good I would imagine.

it wouldnt be called armour if it wasnt to protect would it?

body armour is tested by being shot with a rifle from a specific distance (cant remember exactly). it would fail if the round penetrated all the layers.

if you got shot wearing body armour, you would know about it, but probably just have bruising, be winded for a bit, and a sense of "******* hell that was close"

Chalky

Lantern Swinger
smallarms said:

You're thinking of design elements in some vests that are designed to minimise shrapnel penetration should the main armour fail. The jacket compresses around the point of impact providing support and pressure to the injury. Not sure if our current batch does it, but I know there are some out there.

Scottish_Kiwi

Lantern Swinger
Right, first of webbing we get issued is good for what it is so don't worry about that, and quite often you will be able to get hold of one of the issue assault vests though i do have some issues with mine a bit of tinkering and stitching will hopefully sort that.

As for the body armour what you are referring to above is CBA, the stuff you get issued for use on the range etc will do nothing to stop around unless your lucky enough to get one of the new sets which holds the plates and also you get some plates, if you are however in Iraq or Afghan you will get all the body armour you need because remember your the one who is gonna be yomping it about all day.

K

Mitch

Badgeman
Thanks for the responses.
In terms of webbing i meant are troops issued with webbing, assault vests or chest rigs? Or is it different for different operations?
Mitch

Mitch

Badgeman
Just interested wot do people who have served and actually used the equipment prefer ; assault vests, chest rigs or webbing? I prefer webbing but then my preference is from a cadet point of view!

Mitch

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body on Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Healthcare for planets and humans: why looking after nature is good for mind, body, and the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body on Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO Dispute Settlement Body on Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO Dispute Settlement Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO Dispute Settlement Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thanet District Council receive certification mark for CCTV, ANPR and body worn video MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hostile state activity assessment body announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reappointment of members to the Prison Service Pay Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO Meeting of the Dispute Settlement Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter for Police Remuneration Review Body 2020 Northern Ireland pay round MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Judith Gillespie appointed as member to the Prison Service Pay Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Poor accounting practice in charities to be referred to professional body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vetpol recognised by VMD as a suitable body to maintain a register for suitably qualified persons (SQPs) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Crime Agency Remuneration and Review Body remit 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter to the Police Remuneration Review Body: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Pay Review Body remit letter: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration remit letter: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Expert animal welfare body expanded to advise Government on future reforms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS School Teachers’ Review Body (STRB) remit letter for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointments to the School Teachers’ Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bloggers collaborate with government to challenge negative body image MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tim Flesher CB appointed to the Prison Service Pay Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Body-worn cameras to curb aggressive bailiffs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Reappointment to the Review Body on Senior Salaries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: PM appoints new members of Senior Salaries Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK response to WTO Appellate Body ruling on Boeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: ESFA communications are more streamlined as a single body and continue to improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Commissioners appointed to new home design body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Body worn cameras to help fight fisheries and waste crimes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: PM appoints new member of Senior Salaries Review Body MoD News 0
soleil Times: "Thousands Of Troops In Line For Pay Boost - Review Body Recommends 3% Increase" Current Affairs 35
MoD_RSS News story: New Chief Executive for defence Non-Departmental Public Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Armed Forces' Pay Review Body Appointments MoD News 0
A Body Mass Index too low - BRNC January 2017 Joining the Royal Navy 11
SONAR-BENDER USN revising weight/body fat regulations Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS News story: Chairman of the Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body re-appointed MoD News 0
Bad CO Win A Set of Body Armour Worth £500 Competitions 8
Sgt Jobsearch PSV / HGV Body Repairer - Guildford - Circa £22,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
M Upper Body Fitness Health & Fitness 6
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body 43rd Report - 2014 MoD News 30
M Upper body training Health & Fitness 2
soleil Scotsman: "Body Of Man Found At RM Condor Near Arbroath" The Corps 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body Report 2013 Published Current Affairs 10
soleil ThisIsSouthDevon: ""Dummy" Triggers Kingswear Body Search" Bases / Shore Est 0
frogman007 MOD confirms body parts kept Current Affairs 34
Chaz Armed Forces Pay Review Body Report 2012 UPO 9
Pontius Workin' that body Diamond Lil's 1