Playing music in't Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Andrew_1980, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think I already know the answer to this (no), but I'm wondering if it's possible to continue to play drums / guitars if I am accepted.. been playing in bands and recording / producing for a while and would like to keep doing these things (on my own, with other musicians, whatever)..

I am fully willing to put it all to bed in order to join up but would be a treat to be able to carry on with the musical ventures if possible.

Applying as an AET / ET (ME) if that has any bearing on the question, and I don't have any musical qualifications I'm self-taught.

2. hahaha, you tinker. :D

3. :roll: :roll: you could play " The one eyed Piccolo" :oops: :oops:

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sure this has been done before, but many ships have ship's bands who practice together in the workshop/hangar and get to play gigs to their adoring fans at flight deck barbecues etc.

5. :roll: :roll: you could play " The one eyed Piccolo" :oops: :oops:

I'll leave that one to you scouse :lol:

Sure this has been done before, but many ships have ship's bands who practice together in the workshop/hangar and get to play gigs to their adoring fans at flight deck barbecues etc.

Better answer. Cheers!

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

7. Most ships/units/air stations/training establishments have some sort of band and if you are good enough then yes there's nothing to stop you. Biggest problem on-board is space and time to practice. But I've seen some good and some very bad bands whilst in the RN.

SM

8. So i can take my tinwhistle along? and learn a few tunes whilst im at it. im self taught and prefer traditional ( hence the tinwhistle :lol: ) what about my hand drums .. anyway i wouldn't mind meeting soem of these ships bands they could teach me a lot :)

9. Yeah my bezzy oppo still plays in his band and does other stuff when he has the time off and I'm involved in a a few musical projects myself. As long as it doesn't interfere with your job onboard there's no stopping you.