Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing music in't Navy

Andrew_1980

Lantern Swinger
I think I already know the answer to this (no), but I'm wondering if it's possible to continue to play drums / guitars if I am accepted.. been playing in bands and recording / producing for a while and would like to keep doing these things (on my own, with other musicians, whatever)..

I am fully willing to put it all to bed in order to join up but would be a treat to be able to carry on with the musical ventures if possible.

Applying as an AET / ET (ME) if that has any bearing on the question, and I don't have any musical qualifications I'm self-taught.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Sure this has been done before, but many ships have ship's bands who practice together in the workshop/hangar and get to play gigs to their adoring fans at flight deck barbecues etc.

Andrew_1980

Lantern Swinger
:roll: :roll: you could play " The one eyed Piccolo" :oops: :oops:

I'll leave that one to you scouse :lol:

Sure this has been done before, but many ships have ship's bands who practice together in the workshop/hangar and get to play gigs to their adoring fans at flight deck barbecues etc.

Better answer. Cheers!

Most ships/units/air stations/training establishments have some sort of band and if you are good enough then yes there's nothing to stop you. Biggest problem on-board is space and time to practice. But I've seen some good and some very bad bands whilst in the RN.

SM

philcom3

Lantern Swinger
So i can take my tinwhistle along? and learn a few tunes whilst im at it. im self taught and prefer traditional ( hence the tinwhistle :lol: ) what about my hand drums .. anyway i wouldn't mind meeting soem of these ships bands they could teach me a lot :)

jockgolly

Lantern Swinger
Yeah my bezzy oppo still plays in his band and does other stuff when he has the time off and I'm involved in a a few musical projects myself. As long as it doesn't interfere with your job onboard there's no stopping you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS High-tech products to level the playing field for disabled pupils MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Level playing field for all operators is key aim of traffic commissioners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: SMEs to have easier access to government contracts with action plan to level playing field MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Cairncross report recommends levelling of the playing field for UK journalism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Air Force playing major role in world's premier air combat exercise MoD News 0
J Playing instruments Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
S MoD considered down playing repatriation ceremonies to make war more palatable Current Affairs 13
Bad CO Playing Nicely Site Issues 18
wet_blobby playing with the new RR Diamond Lil's 108
S Kids playing footall Current Affairs 6
creddly LAMRI Is This You When You're Playing Battlefield 2 Online? The Gash Barge 2
golden_rivet we are playing truth or dare in Lil's right now Diamond Lil's 52
D Tune in....what you playing? Social & Reunions 80
P Wife is playing away Diamond Lil's 44
MoD_RSS Culture Recovery Fund saves 135 grassroots music venues with emergency grants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Grassroots Music venues to be saved by government cash MoD News 0
Stirlin Music with bollox. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
soleil Mountbatten Festival Of Music - 2020 Virtual Concert The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Music firms illegally prevented discounts, CMA alleges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New National Plan to shape the future of music education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Week in Paraguay celebrates education, music and more MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel tips and advice if you're heading to a music festival in Portugal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK Music Industry Backs #BeSafeBeSound Campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Not-for-profit music enterprise boss banned for second time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Revisions to music and dance GCSE, AS and A levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Consultation on changes to performance rules in GCSE, AS and A level music and dance MoD News 0
Capn_Pugwash Last Post and Reveille - sheet music History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Record numbers learning instruments in class thanks to music hubs MoD News 0
soleil LIVE STREAM: The Mountbatten Festival of Music 2018 - Live from Saturday 10 March at 19:25 PM The Corps 1
janner I'm strangely attracted to this music genre!! Diamond Lil's 4
MichaelBully1 A classical music concert to commemorate Jutland-The Barbican 15th June Charity 0
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
janner Music 1960-2013 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
W What music do you run to? Health & Fitness 23
soleil Mountbatten Festival Of Music - 13th/14th/15th March 2014 The Corps 1
drewfester Star shaped man in a music video Current Affairs 0
soleil RM Chaplain Speaking On R4, "Soul Music - Brothers In Arms" The Corps 3
janner Cemetery Music......... Miscellaneous 0
Topstop A nice bit of music, a sobering film. Motoring 4
BillyNoMates MJ's *THRILLER* music video to be re-released (updated content). Diamond Lil's 5
S Ambulance Drivers Bring Music to Camp Bastion The Corps 2
scouse My choice of music. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
the_black_strat Which Song or Music sends shivers down your spine? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 61
jesse Help, anybody know the title of the theme music to the 1956 film "The March Hare"? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
S New Music Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 18
2 arms drill music Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
F For anyone who likes music or girls look at this Diamond Lil's 15
tug1970 Dodgy Music........... Diamond Lil's 61
soleil Mountbatten Festival Of Music 2011-Tickets On Sale 01/11/10 The Corps 9
S "Music" by John Miles Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 9