Plans To Mark 100 Years Since The Beginning Of The First World War In 2014 Announced

Flagdeck

War Hero
attachment.php
......aawww ...butter wouldn't melt.....

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As an aside:

Bad news for those regard trying to forget remembrance.

The Ukranians marked the 150th anniversary of the Crimea in 2004: BBC NEWS | Europe | Ukraine honours Crimean War dead

The UK marked the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar in 2005

...and the 400th anniversary of the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1988.

However, we'll not be commemorating Waterloo by the look of things....

Ministers refuse to mark Waterloo: Campaigners say Government do not want to celebrate 200th anniversary in case they offend France | Mail Online

Personally, I'd have thought offending the French was a bonus.

Flags you old flag tosser, I am surprised that you would even think that I understood the meaning of the word 'integrity' at that age, do you have children of your own?

Getting back on topic is it true that during the trench celebrations we plan to send gangs of Union flag waving British schoolchildren to Belgium and France, to assist the locals in feeling a proper sense of Britishness?

Last edited:

Flagdeck

War Hero
Flags you old flag tosser, I am surprised that you would even think that I understood the meaning of the word 'integrity' at that age, do you have children of your own?

Getting back on topic is it true that during the trench celebrations we plan to send gangs of Union flag waving British schoolchildren to Belgium and France, to assist the locals in feeling a proper sense of Britishness?

That little boy is picture of pure innocence........you'd never know he'd turn out to be a grumpy old man......thats what life in a blue suit does to you. Yes I do have two sons, who, when younger were also pictures of innocence....no doubt they'll turn out like their old man........ a font of wisdom, wit and fortitude.

Back on topic......the way I read it is we are sending two children from each school in the country to tour the battlefields of WW1....which I personally think is a good idea..........when I was at school the history lessons I had were written by the aristocracy/church/nobility....and nobody questioned it. We didn't have video footage of the Norman conquest, the English Civil War...or the battle of Trafalgar......all we had were the opinions of historians......who were, in the main, educated by the aristocracy/church/nobility.

Nowadays we have living history............on film, on testimony of people who lived through it.....we even have farmers in northern France digging up artifacts of WW1 as I type. In 2005 I visited Pearl Harbor and standing on the Arizona memorial I saw the specks of oil still seeping out of the sunken warship. Events that happened 100 years ago or 70 years ago are being seen 'now'.......and hopefully, those kids will understand much more about life and death....the futility of war....the glorious dead....and the need to remember.

fishhead

War Hero
A fascinating set of photos but in essence the same as many we've seen taken in the Allied trenches. The only real difference being the uniforms.

Latest Threads