Plans To Mark 100 Years Since The Beginning Of The First World War In 2014 Announced

Flagdeck

War Hero
To have a "substantial" naval contribution towards a centennial event we would first have to have a substantial navy. That we do not! #Thanksdefencereview

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

No we don't........a substantial and significant contribution can still be made....and I'm sure will be.

RoyalNavyMaverick

Midshipman
And just what are we going to use to make this contribution? We have very little. It will be a damp squib, I'm willing to put my RN pension on it....... Oh wait a minute, that's also not substantial anymore either lol the last thing of any real creditable size that the RN did was the fleet review T200. We wouldn't be able to create an event of that size again. Unfortunate but true.

G

guestm

And just what are we going to use to make this contribution? We have very little. It will be a damp squib, I'm willing to put my RN pension on it....... Oh wait a minute, that's also not substantial anymore either lol the last thing of any real creditable size that the RN did was the fleet review T200. We wouldn't be able to create an event of that size again. Unfortunate but true.

Now, would that be your pension you got after 29 years of service or after you were made redundant following 13 years? You seem confused.

You don't need a fleet of Tribal, Leander and Amazons to put on a show. During the Olympics all we had to do was throw the Ocean up the Thames and the nation frothed at the gusset. Quality not quantity. Besides, it isn't T200 or the fleet review. It is a 4 year cultural and remembrance programme including a large grant for HMS Caroline which will be used to educate the public about the RN's involvement in the war.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

My pensions quite substantial enough for me and mine and goes up every year, you obviously weren't in long enough :)

RoyalNavyMaverick

Midshipman
Your quite right WreckerL, but my new civvy salary more than makes up for the loss. Ah the benefits of working for a company that's not in suspended reality. I can't honestly understand why the poor chaps put themselves through staying inside when jobs for the qualified are plentiful outside at the moment, and most with better prospect.

G

guestm

Ah Monts, you never fail to amuse me with your investigative nature. Happy days

It's amusing to me, you big mixed up fibber:

(I never thought after 29 years of service i would be saying this, but the world is changing and we need to adapt bettre with it)

I have just wasted 12 years of my life for a redundancy payment of 18700 ( as predicted/calculated by pay section HMS Collingwood.

Seems a very small redundancy payment for a Warrant officer with 29 years. Or is it 12? Who knows. What I do know is that if you read the link in the original post you'd understand more what is to be achieved. It saves wading into a thread talking turd about T200 etc. Educate yourself: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/first-world-war-centenary

Guzzler

War Hero
Your quite right WreckerL, but my new civvy salary more than makes up for the loss. Ah the benefits of working for a company that's not in suspended reality. I can't honestly understand why the poor chaps put themselves through staying inside when jobs for the qualified are plentiful outside at the moment, and most with better prospect.

Oh Christ, another one.