Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Noel, Apr 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, recently whilst I've been practising my 2.4km run I've been getting a stitch just under ribs on the right side after about a mile in. If I stop then continue from the start I can complete it without getting a stitch.

Does any one know how I can stop this for the first run? I've got my PJFT on Monday and I'd hate to get a stitch doing it.

2. If you do get a stitich, literally stick your hand into it and bend right when ur running and it will do, it was the advice i was given during my PJFT when i got a stitich.
  3. Breath out like you're trying to blow candles out :thumright:

Tried it tonight and it worked. Good luck.
  4. am in the same stage as you mate, i have my PJFT on the 20th, the best time i have got so far is 11:16 and at the 9 min mark my legs get very tired, the doctor thought i was unfit candinate and needed more exercise, he still passed me tho which is the main thing
  5. I don't want to be mean but as a guy you should be really very capable of doing the run in 9 minutes by the time you do your fitness test. I know girls that can run it in 11 minutes already x
  6. I can't :)

Barely doing it in 12:20 now. Just going to have to up the anty, as it stands.
  7. Yeah, everytime you feel physically unable to do it, like when your legs feels like their going to fall beneath you, then you should know that it's working and just carry on. Don't stop!!!!! Make sure that your eating really well too, so that you have the energy. x
  8. Long story short:

Shin Splints
    Awkward working hours

The awkward hours at work led to a lack of time and energy to do anything as well as a crappy diet ;)
  9. It's allright i was working from 6am until 11pm at night, not advisable of course....but i still managed to fit things in. There's literally no reason why you can't go for a run at any time, it's not like you'll get raped at night when you go out running lol so there's not much for you to worry about. Just eat healthily and put your fitness first. Be reet x :D
  10. I used to get that all the time,

When exercising, a side stitch (also called a side cramp, a side sticker or simply a stitch) is an intense stabbing pain under the lower edge of the ribcage. It is also referred to as exercise related transient abdominal pain (ETAP). This pain may be caused by the internal organs (like the liver and stomach) pulling downwards on the diaphragm, though an exact mechanism remains to be elucidated. Because of the suspected cause, it is more likely to occur in sports involving up and down actions - like running, jumping, swimming and equestrianism.

Found this somewhere on the net and the only way i stopped it from appearing was to exhale when my left foot hits the ground.

Hope this helps

11. Great! I'll let you all know tomorrow....
  12. Drink more water prior to running.
  13. That might explain a lot :lol: .

Well I went today took me 1 hour 30, through the bank holiday traffic, arrived early at 12:10 and guess what? The guy who was supposed to supervise the test didn't turn up for work today!!! :cussing:

When I asked them why they didn't phone me they simply said "Oh, have you come far?"

3 hours driving for nothing!! I wish I'd sat at home in garden and just burnt £30 of fuel money, at least that way I could of spent some time with the kids.
  14. aww sorry to hear that Noel
  15. How does 8am-1am sound for ya? :)

That's nearly every day. I got away early today because I couldn't feel my feet and fell over :?

Hopefully it's just until we find some more staff.
  16. Noel

You must ring your Careers Advisor tomorrow morning and let him/her know what has happened, so that he/she can take the appropriate action.

It's very poor service for the gym to have done this. It has a contract with the AFCO to conduct PJFTs - the contract allows it to levy a charge if the candidate does not show up - there may also be provision for a charge to be levied if the PJFT supervisor nominated by the gym doesn't turn up as arranged.

The CA will ring the gym and establish exactly what has gone on here.
  17. I rang the AFCO this morning. The lady on the phone said the same thing as you and was very disappointed. Her boss isn't in till Wednesday but she said he'll look into it for me then, we'll see what happens I guess.

I'm booked in tomorrow now, I'll let you know what happens...
  18. Went there today and passed the test in 12:40. My speed was supposed to be 10.9kph but he set it to 11.5kph which was fine for me, I'd actually been practising at 12kph but was getting a stitch sometimes.

I went to the AFCO afterwards and the Lady there said her boss wasn't in till tomorrow now but she also added that the RAF had been having a few problems with the gym too, she said she'd let me know.

Even though I wasted some money last time I'm not to bothered now that I've passed :D

Next week I start circuit training :pukeright:
  19. Excellent News! Well done, Noel!
  20. Cheers Soleil!