Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mclovin19, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what incline is the treadmill set to on the PJFT
  2. no incline is set.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

2 degrees if a Royal Marines candidate, otherwise none.
  4. so just to confirm that for royal navy no incline
  5. Ninja_Stoker

There's only so many ways I can think of writing none.

Yes, zero.
  6. Or if your lucky to get a cunny funt he will add a few hills to your mile and a half.
  7. What, is that absolutely none at all then?

No incline whatsoever?

Just checking.
  8. I`m getting confused as well guzzler, just wish that Ninja could be a bit more specific.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Affirmative GhostRider, that's a negatory on the inclinometer gauge.

Apologies for the confusion.
  10. Well, I'm inclined to think that Ninja gave a pretty straight answer the first time and mclovin19 can rest assured that he wont have a mountain to climb when he does go for his PJFT...
  11. Hmm. I'm not sure.

Can anyone confirm?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

A wise call- those AFCO guys always try to mislead...

13. Remains to be seen. :wink:
  14. Not to sound harsh or anything, but if your worried about doing the required time with a couple of degrees incline, are you sure your going to cope?
  15. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to get at here. Adding 1% incline to your run requires an extra energy output of 4%. 2 degrees is 8%.

The maximum run time for a young chap is 11.13. Adding a 2% incline to this would require you to able to run the mile and a half in 10.30 on the flat. Just by adding a 2% incline you add 43 seconds to the time of your run. I assume that the navy picked the values because they know something about how fit they need their recruits to be.

Another point to note is that level treadmill running uses next to no upper leg muscles. Adding incline makes the upper legs muscles work harder. If you aren't used to these muscles working in that way you would need more training to meet the times mentioned above.

Don't get me wrong, I think I agree with what you are trying to say to some extent. A 10:30 mile and a half is quite easy, however, why would someone worry about passing the PJFT if they could only run it in 11.12?
  16. TTJU, I don't get what you're getting at.
  17. Serious, or a bite?
  18. Well, it made no sense. It might be the lack of sleep and a little too much drink last night but...All you did was roll off some figures about how it's harder with an incline.

Fuck it
  19. Oh right - the guy above me said that if you can't do the run with an incline then maybe you should think twice about taking your PJFT because you'll probably fail.

I was just explaining why that wasn't (necessarily) the case.
  20. Fair one. I presumed that he meant in phase 1 training to be honest.