Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sophie, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a good few weeks of running outside to get my fitness up, I've started to add in running on the treadmill to prepare myself for the PJFT and was wondering; when you do the fitness test (2.4km on the treadmill), is the speed set at the same level throughout the entire distance (in accordance to the time required per age/sex to do it in) or do you start off at a slower speed and it's increased as you run? Does the gym instructor control the speeds, or just stand and watch to record your time?

Just want to get myself as best prepared so I don't fail it on something stupid like falling off the back because I wasnt used to an increase in speed half way through!

thanks, Soph
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you're under 25 & female, you have 14 mins 35 secs to complete 2.4Km/1.5 miles.

Within one week of receipt of the PJFT letter, after you successfuly pass your medical, you should contact one of the Fitness Centres on the list supplied and book a PJFT at a mutually convenient time. The test must be undertaken within 28 days of the date of this letter.

The licensed gym will give you a brief on the running machine, allow you a warm-up & set the machine at the slowest possible speed which will enable you to pass. You can speed the machine up as required.

Good luck
  3. i did mine at the end of november n they made me feel really comfortable actually.. i had a lady instructor who did warm ups with me.. showed me how the machine works then let me have a go before beginning the actuall test.. she tells you what speed you need to be going at the minimum n its up to you if u want to go faster.. i advise you do go a bit faster to make sure... what sort of times are you getting at the mo?

best of luck
  4. Thanks to both replies, very helpful... I shall be training hard over the next couple of months!!
    My first attempt today I worked out that I need to be on a speed of 10km/hour in order to pass (yes I am female, under 25) - and I managed 10minutes at this pace... everyone has their starting point!
    My goal though is to be able to do it in the blokes time of 12minutes - to make sure I well and truly pass! - so I'll need to work up to being able to do it in a flat speed of 12km/hour
    I'll keep you posted!
  5. Okay right I will more then likely be having my interview soon.
    How long do you think it would be untill i have to take my PJFT??

Im very poor at running an building it up slowly.
    I mean it takes me about 9mins to run a mile.. which is bad i know.
  6. Well if you run a 9min mile your 1.5 mile time should be 13.30 which is a PFJT pass...
  7. sophie : i also had an instructor go through the warm ups with me and then brief me on the run . i i remember correctly she set the machine at the min speed to pass. (12:20 for me) then i just ran and could increase the speed as i felt right. the lowest she put it on for me i think was 12.4km/h but it was a year ago and ive slept since then so i might be wrong :)

Topaz: i think after my interview my PJFT was within 2 weeksof passing interview and medical so shouldnt be long for you. :thumright:

best of luck to you both.

im off down the AFCO at 2 for a chat with my advisor about re-entry :w00t:
  8. Just a few words of advice re getting fitter:

Not sure how long you have to get fit, but i have always found that building up running slowly is best. Eg. at 10kmh for 15 minutes 3 times in the first week then 11kmh for 15 minutes in the second and third week and then 12 kmph etc etc, you get me, just build it up slowly, no need to push too hard as you will either get injured or ill.

Otherwise, try running for 2 miles in the time you are allowed, then when it comes to running 1.5miles in your actual test, you should find it much easier.

Different things work for different people though, just don't kill yorself in the first week and then not be able t train for another week as then you will be going backwards on fitness.

If you want anymore help or advice, feel free to PM me.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

For the benefit of all attempting to join, just a little tip: Try to do your run outdoors within the stipulated PJFT time before you undertake the PJFT, as that's what you have to do, week one at Raleigh & most people's outdoor times are slower than treadmill times.

Before you take your PJFT, have a practice run on a treadmill within the stipulated time- many people find this easier, but if you're not used to running on a treadmill it can feel a bit strange at first. After you've passed your PJFT, try to do the vast majority of your runs outdoors rather than on treadmills.
  10. I didn't know that Ninja.

I used to practise 1500m on treadmills and would end up over 6 minutes and knackered but could do it in under 5 on the track.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Because the treadmill sets the pace, has no wind resistance & doesn't have an undulating surface, many people put a couple of degrees incline on a treadmill to make them exert more effort & simulate the outdoors.

The disadvantages with the treadmill are that people can tend to run flat-footed which can lead to shin-splints, so outdoor running is better preparation for most. Some people do find the treadmill difficult to master as it's unatural, but for most, the outdoor run is harder & better exercise.
  12. One thing I would say is make sure you get your units right(KM MILES) beacause me being one of the thickest people on the planet came up to 1.5. and thought it was 1.5miles, i was going so well before hand I decided to absolutley thrash it and when i realised i still had 0.9km to go i was already knackered. Fortunatley the guy that was with me gave me loads of encouragment and I passed. I shouldnt have posted this because your all going to laugh at me.
  13. I have been training for my PJFT for a few months now (after being hideously unfit before). I did all my training on a treadmill in the gym.

However last week I did my first run outdoors. I managed 20 mins at a descent pace and I was quite pleased with myself thinking "what was all the fuss about!". However as I got home my legs were more sore than normal.

The next morning I could barley walk :D
  14. Ninja_Stoker

15. Oh god
    Im really getting scared about this now.

Anyone know the best way of building up stamina
    I can run short distances fast

But if i run for more then 10mins i am on my arse.. and most of the time have to stop and walk :|

I spose am just gunna have to practise no matter what realy arnt i. =[
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Sorry, what was that again- anyone hear a whining sound?
  17. A way to build up stamina for the test is to try and run for say...15-20 mins WITHOUT stopping. They key is to complete the run without having a walk/break.

If this means running/jogging at a snails pace then so be it. Find a speed where you CAN run/jog for 15-20mins consistently. It took me some time on the treadmill before I could even manage 10km/h for 20 mins.

All you need to do is work from there. If you run every 2 days you will see yourself improving a lot quicker than you think. Before you know it you will be able to do 20 mins running at 10km/h...then do 10.3...10.5....11.0...ect until you get to the desired speed you need to complete your run.

If you can run 20 mins at the speed needed to pass the test (which lasts a lot less) you will blaze the actual PJFT with a good score. Hopefully!

18. Oh shush you!
  19. @ Topaz
    Ok, when I first started running, I couldn't do more than about a minute without having to stop... no word of a lie, the first time I attempted a 1.5miler, I came in at just under 30minutes... the majority of it I walked.
    The only way to get better is to run.... it doesnt matter how far or fast you go as long as when you hit the wall and want to stop (or throw up), you break through it and keep going for a bit longer. Each time you go out, the wall will come later and the run will get easier. I can now run 2 miles comfortably in just over 20 minutes... it doesnt sound much compared to some of the times coming in on these forums, but the point is by simply going out and running, I improved massively and can now work on my speed without having to worry as much about the fact that I can't run up the stairs without getting out of breath!
    So just go out, and run

20. Thanks for that. =] I get realy confused because i could run 1.5miles like 2weeks ago maby stopping twice. But today I ran the same route and stoped like 10times. Then again I was running into the wind and my ankle started hurting haha. I go to badminton and basketball training weekly, i know that inst straight running but would that contribute to my fitness.. or should i just not do that and run?