Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PJFT Renewal & SIFT Interview

Janus

Badgeman
I passed the PFJT back in January but due to the defence cuts my application isn't being processed any further until 2012 (boo hiss!)

Anyway having spoken to my AFCO recently, he said that he'd be in touch with me in the New Year (so roll on 2012) with a date for my SIFT interview.

However if my PFJT only lasts a year I'm presuming that I would to redo it before I get a date for my SIFT.

Is this correct and if it is, then when would be the best time to get in touch with the AFCO to arrange a retest - having to wait a year as it is I want to minimise any problems !

howfen_lad

War Hero
hello, i applied as a rating so i don't know if that makes a difference but my CA got in touch with me when my PJFT had expired, it was actually over a year when i renewed it.

Janus

Badgeman
Thanks - my AFCO did tell me he'd sent me any paperwork relating to anything that had expired early in the New year; given that I know that my PJFT will expire at the beginning of January I wanted to anticipate this so that my SIFT isn't delayed any further that it already has been,lol!

Talking Baggage

Lantern Swinger
Janus,
Your PJFT is only valid for a year and will be re-planned by the AFCO, even though you are required to do a Bleep Test at AIB.
I assume if your application for Officer was put on hold you were going for aircrew, as all other Officer branches are still being processed?

Janus

Badgeman
Spot on TB.

Its only 17 weeks to January (scary thought or what!) so I'm getting everything into gear now.

As I said my application was put on hold and then had to make a decision as to what I did after A levels. So if everything for the navy goes pear-shaped then I have a Uni place lined up for next year.

In the meantime, I'm working in a call centre (great practice for conflict resolution eh,lol?) either saving for the mother of all night outs or to make Uni abit more enjoyable (which I have no doubt will involve lots of beer :))

Talking Baggage

Lantern Swinger
If you were under 18 when you sat your medical, you will also have to do that again....
As aircrew, if you are keen on Observer, they should process you NOW. Pilot will be tough for a few years yet, so Uni might be a good option.
Get as much experience as you can in the meantime, both from employment and other activities. Your SIFT/AIB will be looking for quality examples of leadership/team participation - so get involved in that! eg. Helping organise something for charity, youth organisations, captain of sports teams, involvement in sports clubs committees etc.
You must sell yourself convincingly....

Janus

Badgeman
If you were under 18 when you sat your medical, you will also have to do that again....

Please tell me that isn't the ******* case ......at this rate I might as well start my bloody application from stratch now. I thought I was Ok until I was 30 - where did you read that ....is it the full medical again?

Edit: have just found a post about the medical which confirms what you've just said. However if I had the medical when I was 17 but was passed as fit when I was 18 (rn needed some more info first) then does that mean I'm ok until I'm 30 or does the fact that I want to go in as aircrew keep to the 1 year rule .....which then raises the question is a year since I was passed as medically fit or when I took the medical?

As aircrew, if you are keen on Observer, they should process you NOW. Pilot will be tough for a few years yet, so Uni might be a good option.
Looking to go in as Pilot - yes I know its going to be tough, if not near damned impossible but if you don't try you always be wondering for the next 40 yrs whether if you could have made the grade wouldn't you? As I said if nothing has happened by next Sept its Uni here I come.

Get as much experience as you can in the meantime, both from employment and other activities. Your SIFT/AIB will be looking for quality examples of leadership/team participation - so get involved in that! eg. Helping organise something for charity, youth organisations, captain of sports teams, involvement in sports clubs committees etc.
You must sell yourself convincingly....
Oh I intend to ......

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Please tell me that isn't the ******* case ......at this rate I might as well start my bloody application from stratch now. I thought I was Ok until I was 30 - where did you read that ....is it the full medical again?

Edit: have just found a post about the medical which confirms what you've just said. However if I had the medical when I was 17 but was passed as fit when I was 18 (rn needed some more info first) then does that mean I'm ok until I'm 30 or does the fact that I want to go in as aircrew keep to the 1 year rule .....which then raises the question is a year since I was passed as medically fit or when I took the medical?

If 18 when passed fit to enter, then it remains valid up to age 30 unless any medical condition has occured requiring re-validation. In any case, if you pass it once, then unless there's any changes, you'll pass it again.

With regard 'selling yourself' at AIB, bear in mind there's a better than average chance 'AIB' will have clocked this thread.

Be glad the Recruiting Test remains valid as we are witnessing a significant increase in fails since the part scores were increased in each section.

With regard the PJFT re-take we are witnessing a significant number of PJFT fails at re-take due to the implementation of RN Fitness Test criteria. It is surprising how many pass once, think that's the end of it & take to eating pies - only to be discharged unfit day two of Initial Naval Training. Royal Marines candidates also have to do a PJFT before we spend a good deal of money sending them to Lympstone for a more arduous physical assessment.

Janus

Badgeman
If 18 when passed fit to enter, then it remains valid up to age 30 unless any medical condition has occured requiring re-validation. In any case, if you pass it once, then unless there's any changes, you'll pass it again.

With regard 'selling yourself' at AIB, bear in mind there's a better than average chance 'AIB' will have clocked this thread.

Be glad the Recruiting Test remains valid as we are witnessing a significant increase in fails since the part scores were increased in each section.

With regard the PJFT re-take we are witnessing a significant number of PJFT fails at re-take due to the implementation of RN Fitness Test criteria. It is surprising how many pass once, think that's the end of it & take to eating pies - only to be discharged unfit day two of Initial Naval Training. Royal Marines candidates also have to do a PJFT before we spend a good deal of money sending them to Lympstone for a more arduous physical assessment.

Thanks Ninja for some good news - was being to think that I'd joined a game of snakes and ladders with definitely more snakes than ladders!

I know what you mean about the PFJT - have defintely not fallen into that trap - am on first name terms with the receptionist at the gym (wink wink).

As for selling myself well that's probably the wrong choice of phrase to have used. tbh you've either got what it takes or you haven't and I'm sure that the powers that be can see straight through someone who is all talk.....how many times have you spotted that sort on the apprentice ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I know what you mean about the PFJT - have defintely not fallen into that trap - am on first name terms with the receptionist at the gym (wink wink).

Maybe it's just me, but I detect a whiff of Flashheart. If so, the cut of your jib may well suit the Fleet Air Arm.

I wish you well. :salute:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Q Next step after pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P What’s after PJFT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
A Pjft time Health & Fitness 9
Y Wait from pjft to interview Joining the Royal Navy 5
A Waiting for something to happen after PJFT! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Actual PJFT pass times? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Max9393 Couldn't do PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Max9393 Psychometric test, interview, medical and PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
ws1602 PJFT Health & Fitness 17
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
Banshee-RMforum Pjft times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Super_Navist PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
B PJFT tomorrow! Joining the Royal Navy 6
B Lost pjft results The Quarterdeck 2
F Pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
C PJFT Info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Trying to book the PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
JackFH PJFT PACE !!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
tbfyb PJFT and PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Cameroon..James99 Pjft advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
WannabeAdmiral When does the PJFT take place? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
L PJFT. Joining the Royal Navy 8
PotentialCT PJFT Diary Joining the Royal Navy 3
S PJFT freak out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
A Medical and Pjft Timescale Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Post-PJFT timings. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
T5igger Pjft help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
shinson PJFT Pass and HMS Raleigh in 9 (ish) weeks!! Joining the Royal Navy 8
1 Treadmill speed for PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M How long is a PJFT valid for, prior to AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S How long between PJFT and PRNC on average? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
L PJFT Confusion Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Suit_Up PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M PJFT Run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P PJFT Tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
H passed my pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Anyone in Milton Keynes training for their PJFT? Read This. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
u04elw2 Just PJFT and Security Clearance to go... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
H pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
matt93 PJFT Locations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6