PJFT Renewal & SIFT Interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Janus, Aug 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I passed the PFJT back in January but due to the defence cuts my application isn't being processed any further until 2012 (boo hiss!)

Anyway having spoken to my AFCO recently, he said that he'd be in touch with me in the New Year (so roll on 2012) with a date for my SIFT interview.

However if my PFJT only lasts a year I'm presuming that I would to redo it before I get a date for my SIFT.

Is this correct and if it is, then when would be the best time to get in touch with the AFCO to arrange a retest - having to wait a year as it is I want to minimise any problems !

2. hello, i applied as a rating so i don't know if that makes a difference but my CA got in touch with me when my PJFT had expired, it was actually over a year when i renewed it.

3. Thanks - my AFCO did tell me he'd sent me any paperwork relating to anything that had expired early in the New year; given that I know that my PJFT will expire at the beginning of January I wanted to anticipate this so that my SIFT isn't delayed any further that it already has been,lol!

4. Janus,
    Your PJFT is only valid for a year and will be re-planned by the AFCO, even though you are required to do a Bleep Test at AIB.
    I assume if your application for Officer was put on hold you were going for aircrew, as all other Officer branches are still being processed?

5. Spot on TB.

Its only 17 weeks to January (scary thought or what!) so I'm getting everything into gear now.

As I said my application was put on hold and then had to make a decision as to what I did after A levels. So if everything for the navy goes pear-shaped then I have a Uni place lined up for next year.

In the meantime, I'm working in a call centre (great practice for conflict resolution eh,lol?) either saving for the mother of all night outs or to make Uni abit more enjoyable (which I have no doubt will involve lots of beer :))

6. If you were under 18 when you sat your medical, you will also have to do that again....
    As aircrew, if you are keen on Observer, they should process you NOW. Pilot will be tough for a few years yet, so Uni might be a good option.
    Get as much experience as you can in the meantime, both from employment and other activities. Your SIFT/AIB will be looking for quality examples of leadership/team participation - so get involved in that! eg. Helping organise something for charity, youth organisations, captain of sports teams, involvement in sports clubs committees etc.
    You must sell yourself convincingly....

7. Please tell me that isn't the ******* case ......at this rate I might as well start my bloody application from stratch now. I thought I was Ok until I was 30 - where did you read that ....is it the full medical again?

Edit: have just found a post about the medical which confirms what you've just said. However if I had the medical when I was 17 but was passed as fit when I was 18 (rn needed some more info first) then does that mean I'm ok until I'm 30 or does the fact that I want to go in as aircrew keep to the 1 year rule .....which then raises the question is a year since I was passed as medically fit or when I took the medical?

Looking to go in as Pilot - yes I know its going to be tough, if not near damned impossible but if you don't try you always be wondering for the next 40 yrs whether if you could have made the grade wouldn't you? As I said if nothing has happened by next Sept its Uni here I come.

Oh I intend to ......

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If 18 when passed fit to enter, then it remains valid up to age 30 unless any medical condition has occured requiring re-validation. In any case, if you pass it once, then unless there's any changes, you'll pass it again.

With regard 'selling yourself' at AIB, bear in mind there's a better than average chance 'AIB' will have clocked this thread.

Be glad the Recruiting Test remains valid as we are witnessing a significant increase in fails since the part scores were increased in each section.

With regard the PJFT re-take we are witnessing a significant number of PJFT fails at re-take due to the implementation of RN Fitness Test criteria. It is surprising how many pass once, think that's the end of it & take to eating pies - only to be discharged unfit day two of Initial Naval Training. Royal Marines candidates also have to do a PJFT before we spend a good deal of money sending them to Lympstone for a more arduous physical assessment.

9. Thanks Ninja for some good news - was being to think that I'd joined a game of snakes and ladders with definitely more snakes than ladders!

I know what you mean about the PFJT - have defintely not fallen into that trap - am on first name terms with the receptionist at the gym (wink wink).

As for selling myself well that's probably the wrong choice of phrase to have used. tbh you've either got what it takes or you haven't and I'm sure that the powers that be can see straight through someone who is all talk.....how many times have you spotted that sort on the apprentice ?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Maybe it's just me, but I detect a whiff of Flashheart. If so, the cut of your jib may well suit the Fleet Air Arm.

I wish you well. :salute: