Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pjft help!

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
Hey guys
I'm in need of some advice!

I have my pjft on Sunday and I need to run 2.4 km in 13 mins.

The speed the treadmill needs to be set at is 11kph. I can currently only run this for 10 minutes without feeling like death. I'm hoping on the day I'll just be able to push through those final minutes but does anybody have any tips on how to increase my stamina in the next week?

And any general tips about the pjft?

Thanks!

Twids

Badgeman
Go running. Go running a lot. Don't eat crap. Run more. Make sure you stretch before and after. Keep running. Mix your training with long distance and short distance sprints. Get good rest and run more.

See a pattern here? ;)

shinson

Lantern Swinger
As above.

I did some interval training to help shave a lot of time off.

So I ran 400m in sub 1:50 each time with my final 400m ran at the usual sleek and then increased every 100m until I was finished.

This gave me a "run time" of 11 minutes based on 400m at 14.5kmph from a stop start.

On the day I let the PT set my treadmill to give me a 5- 10second pass and then at 2km I increased the speed every 100m and finished my final 100 at the quickest sprint ever and set a PB for a none stop run.

Week later I went outside and ran a 1.75 mile run in 16mins as a warmup, then after a 3 minute rest did a 1.5mile in 11:12!!

Just keep running as much as you can and include distance running to help with the stamina in your legs.

All else just suck it up and get your head down! It's the last test to get you to PRNC! You can do it!!

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. Still got six days left, gonna do five more days of training, days rest then I'll pass it.

I'm adamant I'll push myself those last final minutes and pass.

l4l4

Midshipman
Personally I built my speed up throughout.
I started off at 10.5 then when I hit 0.8k I turned it up to 11, then at 1.4k I turned it up to 11.5, at 1.8k up to 12, 2k up to 13 then I think I just ran as fast I could till I did 2.4.
I completed it in 12.56.
I failed my first but my examiner was a bit of a dick, it didn't help that I was 0.01 off of the target. The second time I went to a different gym and the guy there was so helpful and proper spurred you on and sped the pace up if he didn't think you'd pass, so I guess it's down to which PT you get too.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The PJFT standard is made clear from the start of the application frankly and due to delays at medical, even those who lead a sedentary life but have a bmi between 18-28, if they get off their backsides, should easily be able to get fit enough to blast the PJFT from scratch to pass in eight weeks.

There is a standard to be achieved and it is no good blaming a fitness instructor if you didn't train adequately. Leaving it until the last minute to train is a recipe for disaster and often the cause of unnecessary injury.

As stated above, a structured programme over several weeks including non impact CV such as cycles & swims together with interval training and hill sprints should crack it. A training partner is also an added bonus.

Good luck, I hope you pass but fail to prepare, prepare to fail. How much do you want the job?

Drakey

War Hero
When you consider that the treadmill is doing some of the work for you and you are "feeling like death" after 10 minutes, how are you going to pass it without the treadmill at the PRNC and at Raleigh. You may have left it too late to make the improvement that you need in a very short timescale. GOOD LUCK.

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
I know 100% I should have started training sooner, I had some problems with my medical and it killed my motivation so I wasn't sure if I'd even pass it so I stupidly didn't start training. I did still swim three times a week though...

Since I passed the medical I've been training everyday since and I plan on continuing. I'm determined to pass the pjft and get my fitness up to smash the prnc as well.

Twids

Badgeman
Happy to say I passed! And had 20 seconds to spare...

Congratulations! Now to just keep working on it and impress the instructors at Raleigh, you'll gain a lot of respect if you can solidly beat your PJFT time, shows you've kept working on it before joining :D

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
Definitely, I find street running so much easier and so much more fun. Am I right in thinking this is the last treadmill test?

Stephielou92

Midshipman
In your PJFT did Nuffield put an incline on the treadmill for you?

I've emailed my local Nuffield and they've said it will be at 2% but I thought that was just for RMs!

Altrius

Midshipman

I've emailed my local Nuffield and they've said it will be at 2% but I thought that was just for RMs!

You're correct....the 2% incline is just for RM potentials.

It will be 2.4km (1.5m) at your respective speed.

In my PJFT, I undertook a few minutes warmup, followed by being told the minimum speed....should I wish to raise it, I am free to do at my own will.

However, confirmatory to what was previously stated...it is done on the flat, or a 0% incline, if you will.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

You are correct, your local Nuffield sound like they need re-briefing because they'll be failing people unfairly.

Notify your AFCO as they may need to strike-off a shed-load of incorrect PJFT fails.

Sam J

Oosh the treadmill test is set at a 0% incline? That's really boosted my confidence, up until now I've been practicing at a 2% incline... Im almost certain to pass now. My test is on the 10th of June

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BSBRN82 Help..RM PJFT 4 Weeks Health & Fitness 5
J Help with PJFT Please. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M PJFT help Health & Fitness 3
chrismonc87 help with pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
smircula44 PJFT Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 90
B Pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Q Next step after pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P What’s after PJFT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
A Pjft time Health & Fitness 9
Y Wait from pjft to interview Joining the Royal Navy 5
A Waiting for something to happen after PJFT! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Actual PJFT pass times? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Max9393 Couldn't do PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Max9393 Psychometric test, interview, medical and PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
ws1602 PJFT Health & Fitness 17
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
Banshee-RMforum Pjft times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Super_Navist PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
B PJFT tomorrow! Joining the Royal Navy 6
B Lost pjft results The Quarterdeck 2
F Pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
C PJFT Info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Trying to book the PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
JackFH PJFT PACE !!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
tbfyb PJFT and PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Cameroon..James99 Pjft advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
WannabeAdmiral When does the PJFT take place? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
L PJFT. Joining the Royal Navy 8
PotentialCT PJFT Diary Joining the Royal Navy 3
S PJFT freak out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
A Medical and Pjft Timescale Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Post-PJFT timings. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
shinson PJFT Pass and HMS Raleigh in 9 (ish) weeks!! Joining the Royal Navy 8
1 Treadmill speed for PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M How long is a PJFT valid for, prior to AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S How long between PJFT and PRNC on average? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
L PJFT Confusion Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Suit_Up PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M PJFT Run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P PJFT Tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
H passed my pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1