PJFT freak out

it's a week until my fitness test and I'm freaking out. I've done this run a million times over, and been fine. I completed a moc fitness test last week, and completed the 2.4km run within 12 minutes 14 seconds ( I need to complete it in under 13 minutes 10 seconds ). I then ran this again today and could only manage 2.2km in 11.35. This is my final attempt as I failed the other two - I took one attempt with shin splints and the other during a court case. I've trained for well over a year now for this. I use to be a national swimmer - swimmers are known for not being able to run so running has been a hell road for me.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to calm my nervous and to stop me from panicking?

Thank you for your fourthcoming replies

I know of a few little things that helped me. I genuinely believe they helped however they could have been placebo. Vicks rub for your chest/throat, glucose tablets for sugar levels and lucozade sport for electrolytes.

Arrive at the gym early, begin walking, moving, some times incorporating the odd sprint just to get the blood pumping, this can be more than beneficial (Don't do static stretches and don't over do it with warming yourself up).

Eat flawlessly leading up to it, and load up on carbs the night before. Have a good breakfast around two hours before (porridge with a banana possibly, also eat an orange). Then about 30mins before pop a glucose tablet. You have a weeks till then so make sure you don't waste it, however don't over do it.

Thank you for your reply, I'll try the Vicks rub this week to see if it makes a difference!

What calmed your nerves before your fitness test out of curiosity?

Also, what dynamic stretches should I be doing instead of static? I've always done static stretches before running, and only really done dynamic stretches for swimming

Before the test I woke up early and just started prepping right away, this helped.

I like saunas and swimming personally for relaxation. Nothing better than taking 3 litres of water into a sauna and just drinking the water whilst sweating it straight back out with some reading material (Navy News of course).

Another thing that helps me with motivation for running is, I listen to podcasts on an app instead of music, it acts as an incentive, the more running I do, the more podcast I get through (Dan Carling hardcore history is a favourite of mine).

Sleeping patterns is what I try to get on top of when I am stressed. I make sure I wake up at 7ish and go to sleep around 11ish, this coupled with a diet and training routine helps me stay focused.

Dynamic stretches are golden whilst prepping for this.

The way I do things is Dynamic stretches before I train to maximise performance and Static Stretches after to minimise recovery. Google differently Dynamic stretches and just do ones that you think will best assist you, just make sure they are varied.

However with Static stretches spend about 30mins doing these and make sure you are targeting muscles you actually just worked.

Go for a run, today and tomorrow but keep the pace a little bit slower than you'll need to run on the day (I assume you know what pace you'll need to run to pass).

Thursday, do a timed 2.4km run outdoors at the pace you'll need on the day. If you slow down towards the end, don't worry just don't walk.

Saturday, do another mock test on a treadmill this time (it will help with your running form). Just make sure you persevere as completing this will tear down a massive mental barrier for the day of the test and will increase your confidence.

Good luck.

Freaking out for the PJFT does not bode well for what you will experience at HMS Raleigh. The advice you have been given may work in isolation but don't expect to be afforded the same level of preparation during the PRNC and in phase 1 training. Good luck

The luxary of having a Gym with a sauna and steam room is a bonus definitely! Not too sure listening to podcasts is my thing, but listening to music helps calm nerves occasionally!

I'll let you know how I get on; thank you for your help!

I run at 11.8km when I need to run st 11.2km minimum. I usually then within the last few minutes sprint at 16km and hold the pace to the finish.

Thank you for the advice!

I think it's more nerves than anything just because I doubt myself too much. I know basic training will be tough based on what my partner has told me (he's in the raf). It's more the running side of things because I use to be a national swimmer, running is completely new to me!

Thank you for your reponse

If I'm honest you should be good, when I did mine the guy observing just put the treadmill to a high enough speed and you just hold on, you'll be fine if you've practiced and trained enough beforehand

I know this is an old thread by now but I have mine in a few weeks and I've done the test numerous times and get 10mins 21secs but the last 500meters I use my one hand to and rest it over the screen not holding on or resting my weight or anything but to just keep my balance as I turn the speed up more is this aloud or not?

That'll be fine, the only explicit rules are: don't get off the treadmill and don't stop the treadmill. If you don't want to unbalance yourself you could also ask the instructor to adjust the speed for you. (apparently people stumbling and accidentally smashing the emergency stop button happens every so often).

Yes , it sure does happen ! Happened to me first time round , i was gutted , looked like a right idiot . Hopefully wont do it again next time. Got my second attempt in November .

Don't worry about it too much, you'll be fine! I ended up smashing mine despite having runners knee. I'm going into the fourth week of basic training next week, still injured with runners knee but coping well. Take some kalm tablets, they help. Don't take energy drinks as they'll spike you up. Best thing to do is stay calm, and keep an eye on your breathing. It's only 10 plus minutes of running, just keep going. Blank everything out, focus on your breathing and running pattern. Good luck!

Thanks a lot mate :) I'm sure I overthink it when I did my first attempt , as you said I just need to focus more on running technique at the moment . Got about 5 weeks plus to train and improve , so hopefully I'll smash it next time and good luck on training at HMS RALEIGH !!

Thanks a lot mate :) I'm sure I overthink it when I did my first attempt , as you said I just need to focus more on running technique at the moment . Got about 5 weeks plus to train and improve , so hopefully I'll smash it next time and good luck on training at HMS RALEIGH !!
Dont freak out! is the best advice we can all probably give you.

Remember, the PJFT is NOT going to be the toughest, most gruelling, daring and scary thing you do during your potential career in the Navy. Just remember the challenge you're about to take on and take a wee step back and congratulate yourself just now ( a pat on the back or a ham-shank, up to you).

I'm 30 and applied in June when my fitness was not altogether too great on the cardio (running) side. I'm a gym goer and have been for the last few years but I've always focused on strength - which inevitably will help me during the stretcher run, Dartmoor, PT drill and other exercises, but running - pfffft, I was not all about that.

I started running around June time when I had made my application and sent it off. Since then I have done my first 10K and bossed it in a good time too. So practice...practice...practice. You can't practice enough. Make sure you are ready and just remember that it's a REALLY worth while 10 minutes of blowing out of your arse.

Lets hope the PT taking you in for the PJFT is as fit (super hot redhead with all the ass) as mine was and gives you that wee extra boost of adrenaline you need to smash it.

I did mine in 10.33, a personal best on the treadmill down from 11.51 two months before.
Started at 13.6 Km/h for 6.5 mins and upped it to 15, rising slowly to 16.4 for the last stretch.

Give it your all, have a good night sleep the night before, no creme egg for breakfast, plenty of water and no cranking your meat the night before either - you'll be fine.

A handy tip too and scientifically sound: Drink beetroot juice (not the pickled shit from the jar) about an hour before your run and you WILL run faster, i promise you.

Best of luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ws1602 Health & Fitness 17
B Joining the Royal Navy 18
Banshee-RMforum Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2