Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by speppy2316, Jun 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my PJFT on Saturday the 5th of June at 3:30.
    I recently passed my re med after failing the first time as my BMI was too low, I was wondering if I have lost any weight when it comes to my PJFT will I be penalized for it ??

2. They won't weigh you at the gym
  3. They should weigh you as the results form has height and weight on it...they weighed me before mine!
  4. Yes they will, they take your weight and height when you take the PJFT.
  5. The gym are not concerned about your BMI. If the AFCO has sent you for the PJFT the gym will not question it. Weight and height is one way to make sure that the right person has turned up for the PJFT and not an imposter.
  6. You should be aiming to keep your BMI within normal range. We don't just have a minimum level for a laugh - there is hugely increased risk of muscle damage or fractures during training if you are underweight.

Joining the RN is about a lot more than ticking boxes.

If you break yourself during training it is the RN's responsibility. If you are underweight then you will not begin training.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just to re-iterate angrydocs comments, in the case of Royal Marine Commandos, if they dip below 60Kg during recruit training they get medically discharged - regardless of height & BMI.

The issue is that you need to be fit and healthy - our duty of care responsibility to the individual is that they do not sustain preventable injury during the rigours of training and beyond.

Your height and weight should be recorded immediately prior to the PJFT.
  8. Bon appetit

9. Ooops, I wasn't weighed at my PJFT, the guy obviously dropped the ball there and noone picked up on it.
  10. what was the bmi score you had to be over Speppy??
  11. thanks for the help guys

well i don't know im going in for a ET/WE and on the website i couldn't find what the weight limit is after failing the first time i to go back to the AFCO to get advice and the petty officer i talked to had no idea that there was a weight regulation for it so i aimed to get over the marines weight of 60kg (i cam out of my re-med at 60.3)
  12. I wasn't weighed at my PJFT but I've heard of people that were.

BMI isn't wholly accurate but is widely used as a means of showing if a person is at a healthy weight or not.
    At the medical I was classed as nearly over weight (24.7) but hardly have an ounce of fat on me.
    It's only a ratio of your mass (in kg) over your height (in m) squared, and doesn't take into account body fat percentage or bone density. There's plenty of BMI calcs online to keep an eye on what level you're at though.

But angrydoc is spot on about muscle damage in training if your underweight, your body may not be able to undergo as much stress during any physical training.
  13. 25.4 Is my current BMI but having just had a regular health check up at my GP they said my weight was ok and there wasnt any concerns.

Should work to get it under 25 though i guess and not let it bother me
  14. best thing to do is focus on the weight as the BMI is flawed over 60 kg is fine i dont know what the max is hop fully one of the other members can shine some light on it
  15. I wish people would stop moaning about BMI. Yes, it isn't perfect. We know this, but there is no perfect measure.

BMI is more likely to over-read than under-read, ie a muscular person may seem obese on BMI but a low BMI always indicates underweight. Incidentally, those well built guys who object to being told their BMI is too high should note that, although they are physically fit, they are still more prone to injury than those with a normal BMI. Look at the number of 30-40 year old rugby players if you don't believe me.

It's a balance, but a degree of common sense useful when making an assessment.