pistols

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by 9inchesofheaven, Dec 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what pistols are Rm officers issued and can officers provide their own pistols such as the sig P226

2. Erm, in case you haven't noticed pistols (apart from air pistols and muzzle-loaders) are illegal in the UK. So unless they were going to carry a Colt Navy, or a Webley Tempest, they wouldn't be providing their own sidearms.

Standard pistol is the Browning L9A1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marines#Current_weapons

3. Mate no disrespect, but do you really want to be a Royal Marines Officer or is this a wind up?

In my opinion (which might not count for much) this is one of the toughest challenges our forces have to offer and it takes a special person to achieve this. You’ve posted on this site around 8 times now and so far you’ve asked:

What type of pistols are we issued and can we bring our own?
    Do we get issued Commando daggers?
    How much unarmed combat training do we get in CQB training?
    Do we get to parachute?
    Do we have to wear Dog Tags?
    And If Im not good enough to be an Officer can I transfer to be a Commando?

Now obviously this Forum exists so people with the know can point potential Recruits in the right direction, but it sounds to me like you want to be a James Bond, super Ninja killer instead of an Officer in the Royal Marines.

As I said mate no offence intended, but shouldn’t you be asking more relevant questions in your effort to become one of this countries finest?

Spenny

4. FFS
    I've just had a look on the Youtube website showing various blood-lust in iraq/afghanistan etc. I couldn't believe the ******* numpties on there saying such pearls of wisdom as "U.K forces rock" and "British forces are better then the yanks because their trainings longer" Etc ******* etc!! Then i perused at the "About me" bit and these numpties who can barely write their names are 18,19 years old. What's my point you are all screaming at me!! well. If you want to ask such pearls of wisdom as highlighted by Spenny then **** off to Youtube with all the other numpties and spank your monkey over those pictures on there instead of asking bone questions on RR

Rant over
    N.B

5. Well put Spenny and Nutty, its not about totting a firearm or the like about your person, feeling like Arnie in one of his sh*te films, its about learning to deal with people, situations, respect, honesty and discapiline. ( sorry for the spelling ).

Not whos head you can blow off with a f***ing .45 or what ever, GROW UP !

If thats all any of the armed services stood for (gung hoo) I would never want to be part of that EVER.

THE ARMED SERVICES ARE MUCH MORE THAN THAT , READ SOME HISTORY ABOUT VARIOUS WAR'S/CONFLICTS- THAT WILL GIVE YOU AN IN SIGHT TO WHAT ALL -Three services have done for country, mankind and changed history mostly for the better.

Rant over.

6. Why you'd want to fire the P226 is a mystery to me anyway. Shite thing that falls apart at the first inkling of being fired.

For the record, the standard pistol of a British officer is the L9A1 Browning; a pistol with all the lethality of a helium balloon and the stopping power of a disabled geriatric with severe eyesight trouble.

With all this in mind, I still wouldn't give you one, you numpty. Any officer of a fighting body of men (Major or below) who chose to swan around at the front with a pistol in favour of a rifle deserves every ounce of lead flung at him, especially that coming from his own men.

Royal Marine indeed. To 49 Para with you!

7. Interesting critique of the P226, I presume that you arrived at your conclusion after much personal experience with the pistol.

As to the Browning, which pistols would be better suited in your considered opinion?

8. Maybe its because Andy McFlab talks about the P226 in one of his books :wink:

Ive never fired a Sig Sauer so honestly couldnt say. Before handguns were banned in the UK however, I did get a few rounds down the range with a Glock (Civvy gun club) In my opinion, an excellent weapon.

Spenny

9. I would say that your assesment of the P226 is incorrect!! if the reg

10. I'm using a walther P99 at the moment because I couldn't get a course and pistol before coming out here. It's really great because, as the QMSI briefed me, all I have to do is point it, line up the three white dots and shoot it.

Apparently he felt a little safer knowing that I have a rough referencing point of aim .... strange fellow really. Think he was having a bit of a laugh at my expense.

SF

11. thanx for the roasting guys :?

I've no intention or desire to rush off to become a 007 (or a Para for that matter,haha :D )!!! I do however intend to try out for the marines when I'm finished my degree as I have immense respect for the marines and know its serious business not a movie set!!!! I realise that some of my posts are abstract but they're not aimed at taking the piss nor are they the crazed jabberings of a mad man!! they are merely questions about the training and lifestyle (the small, insignificant things) that you won't find on any website. And I thought this was the place to ask.

I sincerely apologise if I pissed off/offended anyone.

Spenny with regards to the questions that I have asked:

What type of pistols are we issued and can we bring our own?
    Do we get issued Commando daggers?
    How much unarmed combat training do we get in CQB training?
    Do we get to parachute?
    Do we have to wear Dog Tags?
    And If Im not good enough to be an Officer can I transfer to be a Commando?

My father is an avid military history enthusiast and he asked me to ask questions such as: What type of pistols are we issued and can we bring our own?Do we get issued Commando daggers?Do we have to wear Dog Tags?. As he is wondering if it's still like the old days....

the other questions (parachuting,CQB, and transferring to commando) I must admit are my own; as I'm a jump instructor, practice martial arts and do not live in the UK so I am naturally worried about wasting my time and money if I don't cut it as an officer.

England is expensive for a South African :D

12. In that case it might have been a good idea to mention that your father is a miltary enthusiast instead of asking these questions!! If your genuine then ex bootnecks like myself are more than happy to impart advise as some members of RR with testify in my case. if your not then you know the rest.........

N.B

13. The 9mm Browning pistol is quite a good hand gun . You just need to get used to it.
    Pistol shooting ain't like you see on the movies.

Having said that I think the best hand gun was the old 45 Colt 1911A1 ,why the yanks went to a 9mm pistol I'll never know.

Am an ex pistol shooter .

14. If you are a genuine enquirer 9IoH then it is surprising you havent asked about the best shops to get your little black cocktail dress and which style is 'in' at the moment with the younger RM officer brethren.

BTW, I 've often wondered what the more senior officers wear as those cocktail dresses must start to look a bit passe with varicose veins.............

15. My experience is with the RN rather than the RM but I met many people from South Africa, New Zealand, Australiaand possibly Canada (I think) serving as members of the RN and RM. Go for it!

The only thing to bear in mind is that thee is only one officer entry a year, as opposed to several for RM recruits. This is important if you get injured/back termed. If you go for "normal" (!!) marine rather than officer you can always go for a "Corp Commission" later. The disadvantage is that pay is less than officers.

It is good to ask questions, especially given the distance...remember the only stupid question is the one you never ask!

16. Are the magazines any better than they used to be. I remeber that when they got a trifle worn they would misfeed badly.

Peter

17. Ive heard that the P99 is a good weapon. Very comfortable to use (interchangeable parts on the handgrip that adjust in size to the users preference). Its also simple to fire (as you said SF, the three dot iron sight) and has fairly good stopping power for a compact pistol.

Spenny

18. 9IOH

Fair comments and as I said, I want trying to take the piss.

You have to realise however that on almost every course, there is always one who asks when they will be learning "underwater knife fighting" and you came across as that person!!!

If your Dad is a military enthusiast, why don't you introduce him to RR. I am sure he would be made most welcome and would obviously "fit in" with the mindset of many people on this forum. We could always use more members too!!

Bearing in mind that I am also a Recruit in the Royal Marines Reserve, I can only offer this advice mate:

Things such as Parachuting, Commando Daggers and Pistols all come after you've earned your green lid. Just achieving that is hard enough - as the advert says "99.9 % need not apply".
    There are people here, like Nutty_Bag, who have a wealth of experience on things that you really do need to know to become a Royal Marine. Use there knowledge to your advantage and IF you pass, then you will find out about the "cool stuff".
    By all means ask questions on this forum, but if I were you Id be asking questions on topics that will:

A. Assist you in making a decision on whether you actually want to move to this country.
    B. If you decide you do, then will help you decide whether you want to join the Royal Marines as an Officer or as a Recruit.
    C. Help you prepare for the Commando Course.

Good luck

Spenny

19. I have a Browning 9mm which I've had forever. Good weapon though it's a bit loose and rattley now. Have to remember it's an old design and made from old materials. Also have a Glock 17 - again 9mm. It's a better handling weapon but again it's a newer design and has better construction materials. Last week I fired a Glock 20. It's 10mm and is a really good weapon. Not quite the stopping power of .45 ACP but a good compromise because 9mm is really too light for a military sidearm. I have one on order and if anyone is interested I'll give them an update after I've put a few rounds down-range.

RM

20. [/quote]

I have a Browning 9mm which I've had forever. Good weapon though it's a bit loose and rattley now. Have to remember it's an old design and made from old materials. Also have a Glock 17 - again 9mm. It's a better handling weapon but again it's a newer design and has better construction materials. Last week I fired a Glock 20. It's 10mm and is a really good weapon. Not quite the stopping power of .45 ACP but a good compromise because 9mm is really too light for a military sidearm. I have one on order and if anyone is interested I'll give them an update after I've put a few rounds down-range.

RM[/quote]

Cheers Bergen

It would be good to see how it compares to the Glock 17 and the Browning. I suppose the problem with adopting a firearm such as this from a military perspective, is the different ammunition.

Cheers

Spenny