Pirate shot dead off Somalia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by lonestar, Mar 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pirate shot dead by private security contractors off Somalia

2. That was always going to happen, just a matter of time really.
  3. I hope his parrot's OK.
  4. :hello1: :D
  5. My congratulations to the marksman, however there were seven of the scum, did they feck off once one of them had been hit?
  6. Any knowledge on what an RPG could do to a ship. Is the space between the inner and outer hull sufficient to prevent full penetration of the copper plasma?

Also, has anyone fitted barbed wire around the wheelhouses of these vessels to pre-detonate the warhead?
  7. At the end of the day the contractors were only doing their job. No doubt they would of followed the ROE, and as mentioned it was going to happen sooner or later.
  8. On the face of it I don't see a problem, in fact I am quite an optimist when it comes to the role of the private security sector in this kind of role. Providing the relevant maritime bodies regulate the use of companies and standards there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The test will be when a trigger happy contractor blows the fcuk out of a fishing dhow.
  9. I suspect that the descision on legal action will rest with the flag country, and I suspect most will aloow self defence as justification and an attack by armed men would even work in the UK.

I can see the pirates finding themselves more between the rock and the hardplace, the choice so far has been be a pirate and maybe survive and make some money, or die, perhaps the risk of not making money and dying instead may encourage more to try other career options.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No problem with this, ditch the gun used over the side along with clothes worn whilst doing the shooting. Good scrub down with bleach for all the crew (so one doesn't stand out) and then deny everything.
  11. Bleach doesn't work :wink:
  12. Or just keep a shotgun on board and ensure that your membership of the gun club is always up to date.

"GSR - of course there is GSR - I paid good money to come on this ship to practise my clay pigeon shooting skills ready for my bid for the next Olympics ... officer"
  13. I hope the legal eagles have identified this poor misguided late Somalian so they can contact his next of kin to arrange a good and proper financial compensation.

Sarcasm mode = Fully ON
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Slim wrote
    Looks like it;

There is always the possibility that poor weapon drills by the pirates resulted in an own goal. Not quite as satisfying but still a result.