Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pirate problems and were puffting about

Lloyd's List

It is understood that the British and Danish navies in the region have been told that their vessels are supposed to act as a deterrent only.

If they aren't going to intervene, kick heads and take names, how the hell is it a deterrent? Now this is now common public knowledge, deterrence is zero!

tommo

War Hero
Would this apply to drug busting as well? Surely if they arrest drug smugglers they could also claim asylem?

What about the victims human rights?

It all doesn't make any sense to me

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
Once again Tony Bliars and his Human Rights lawyer wife Cherie and their Human rights act that @will not affect us in this [email protected] His exact words as she was ringing her hands knowing how much money she would make from it have been allowed to let in this case pirates a free reign.

Work hard, pay tax, do not break any laws. Tuf

Break the law and claim HR act every time you are caught.

Cutaway

Midshipman
The Sun said:
The Royal Navy has been ordered not to arrest pirates — in case they claim asylum.

For once I agree with this Australian rag, I don't think they should arrest the pirates.
It puts personnel in danger, presents legal problems with asylum claimed by thugs, and ultimately takes dosh from where it's needed to pay for these cnuts. ie affects you and I directly, (in the back pocket,) as taxpayers.

I was sure our warships used to be armed, fcuk arresting these creatures - kill them.

frost3120

if their affraid theyre gonna claim assylum, the obvious answer is dont give them assylum. nowhere does it say that you have to give every tom, dick and harry assylum just because they asked for it.

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
frost3120 said:
if their affraid theyre gonna claim assylum, the obvious answer is dont give them assylum. nowhere does it say that you have to give every tom, dick and harry assylum just because they asked for it.

It does in Nu Labours guide book i think.

tommo said:
Would this apply to drug busting as well? Surely if they arrest drug smugglers they could also claim asylem?

What about the victims human rights?

It all doesn't make any sense to me

I thought piracy on the high seas still carried the death penalty? :dwarf:

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
Cutaway said:
The Sun said:
The Royal Navy has been ordered not to arrest pirates — in case they claim asylum.

For once I agree with this Australian rag, I don't think they should arrest the pirates.
It puts personnel in danger, presents legal problems with asylum claimed by thugs, and ultimately takes dosh from where it's needed to pay for these cnuts. ie affects you and I directly, (in the back pocket,) as taxpayers.

I was sure our warships used to be armed, fcuk arresting these creatures - kill them.

I heartily agree! I thought that's why there's a 4.5 inch gun on the bow of our frigates and destroyers - unless this is a naive point of view and it's actually there for decoration?! :threaten:

instinct

Lantern Swinger
buggerit84 said:
I heartily agree! I thought that's why there's a 4.5 inch gun on the bow of our frigates and destroyers - unless this is a naive point of view and it's actually there for decoration?! :threaten:

Actualy we just can't afford the shells.

Well, assuming the water bandits can read or know people who can, I suppose piracy will be the latest spectator sport.

The argument about Asylum seeking is remarkably bone. So if they do follow that path and it costs money, so what? Has Government and Treasury mentality taken over our judgement and sense of morals? Are we saying that the pirates have no nationality, are operating unregistered vessels and carry no identifiable papers?

tommo asks a very valid question regarding drug runners but I don't see many answers. What is the answer? I don't know.

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
Yorkie_S/M said:
Sink them and leave it to the victim to show compassion, ie rescue them.

I'd say sink them and leave them for the sharks myself, but maybe I'm just old fashioned that way.

tommo

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
tommo asks a very valid question regarding drug runners but I don't see many answers. What is the answer? I don't know.

Well if they don't they will no doubt hear of this and they will and will start doing it :w00t: lol

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Easy solution, charter an old Merchant navy tub fill it with Royal all armed with GPMGs and lots of link. Cruise around the area looking vulnerable, pirates arrive, Royal gives 'em the good news.
It's about time these feckers were cleaned out.
Not Q ships, P ships. :thumright:

Jack77

War Hero
This actually happens (to a degree) in the Malacca Strait and other areas of the Indonesian archipelago. There are security companies who hire out to protect merchant ships in these waters. Its only a short step from visible security to enticing the bad bastards alongside and dealing with them appropriately. :rambo:

dublinclontarf

Badgeman
Just found this tasty morsel on Wikipedia.

Foreign Office advised the Royal Navy not to detain pirates of certain nationalities as they might be able to claim asylum in Britain under British human rights legislation, if their national laws included execution, or mutilation as a judicial punishment for crimes committed as pirates.

And here is the act of which it speaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_Act_1998

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition: PIRATE HUNTERS Competitions 14
soleil Scotsman: "Anti-Pirate Wildcat Helicopter Unveiled By Royal Navy" The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil The Australian: "Sending The Pirate Trade Off The Plank" Current Affairs 5
soleil Shipping Times: "Ex Royal Navy Frigate Completes Pirate Mission" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Minehunters protect drifting tanker in pirate waters Current Affairs 56
D The Pirate Blue Jokes 1
soleil Scottish Sun: "We Meet The Pirate Busters" The Corps 0
soleil Telegraph: "Inland Somali Pirate Bases To Be Targeted" Current Affairs 19
soleil Bristol Evening Post: "Pirate Hunter Who Steers Our Ships To Safety" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
Stirling Pirate twating ?. Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy helps reduce Somali pirate activity Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS UK Naval Task Force foils pirate attack Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Royal Navy, Marines and RFA jointly capture pirate mother ship Current Affairs 36
J BBC News: UK and US forces 'rescue pirate-held Italian ship' Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS HMS Monmouth aids ship under pirate attack Current Affairs 0
Naval_Gazer HMS MONMOUTH wards off pirate attack The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS HMS Echo charts pirate waters Current Affairs 0
trelawney126 RN Anti Pirate Patrol & Daily Mail Article Current Affairs 15
trelawney126 Denmark Warship Arrests Pirate Mother ship Current Affairs 9
soleil BBC Cornwall: "Navy Refine Pirate Fighting Skills" The Fleet Air Arm 0
Drakey Facebook - Pirate style The Fleet 1
P Pirate jokes Nautical Jokes 104
The_Caretaker Pirate of Pants Miscellaneous 1
The_Caretaker Pirate Nautical Jokes 0
S The Pirate Nautical Jokes 0
soleil Sky: "Government 'Underestimates' Somali Pirate Threat" Current Affairs 14
soleil Navy News: "Marines Destroy Another Pirate Mother Ship" The Corps 12
Seaweed Montrose duffs up pirate boats Current Affairs 3
soleil NotW: "Sea-k & Destroy: SBS Gets £8m Anti-pirate Sea Drone" The Corps 12
Seaweed Secret Pirate Interceptor Boat Trials The Quarterdeck 3
soleil Manx Radio: "Visit by Ship in Somali Pirate Incident" RFA 0
NotmeChief US Navy sinks Pirate skiff, captures Mothership Current Affairs 1
lonestar Pirate shot dead off Somalia Current Affairs 13
soleil Pirate Threads (2 Merged) Current Affairs 29
soleil Essex Echo: "OBE for Royal Navy Pirate Hunter" Current Affairs 0
soleil Navy News: "HMS Cornwall enters Pirate Alley" The Fleet 1
A Pirate Cruise. The Gash Barge 3
C Somali pirate sues Germany Current Affairs 7
rod-gearing Pirate Rig Submariners 26
S International talk like a pirate day Diamond Lil's 1
D Ahoy there landlubbers -- it's time to talk pirate Current Affairs 10
brazenhussy Brazen's Pirate ship - Crew needed!!! Diamond Lil's 673
McHammock Talk Like a Pirate Day Current Affairs 5
C RNR Joining Problems Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS New funding for innovative space tech to help solve problems on Earth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The future of Parole: Problems and solutions webinars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA response to problems with driving test booking service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Young people tackle Earth's problems from space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supply problems with total parenteral nutrition (TPN) bags – Calea UK/Fresenius Kabi site in Runcorn, Cheshire MoD News 0
R Capita problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7