Pipeline for pilots training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MattMavin, Aug 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I've got my sift interview next week so have been preparing all my answers but theres one that I can't seem to get in enough detail, the pipeline for a pilots training.

I'm applying as a rotary pilot so I need to focus on that part but unfortunately I've chosen to do it on a day that the Royal Navy's website is down.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'll give you a clue - don't say that you aspire to fly Harrier at the interview.....
  3. Remember to include the pipeline for helicopter pilots!
    I am applying for pilot and i did my SIFT a few weeks ago, the interviewer will ask questions about something, for example a t23 frigate, then he/she will get more and more in deapth to discover how much you know about it.
    And Dartmouth is 30 weeks, 3 terms of 10 weeks, not 10 month..
    And there is grading after Dartmouth, and the hawk training is at RAF Valley :) good luck!
  4. So the Op really has done his homework then!

So much incorrect - Erm do we still have a Harrier? I thought the Yanks bought them all for spares!
  5. Yeah im applying as a helicopter pilot but i cant seem to find the pipeline anywhere? I've been told they ask about the course of your training in great detail ?
  6. Haha clearly the internet has served me well as I copied and pasted the first thing I found where someone was quoting there sift interview, shame it was from 2008. So anyone know where I can find the new pipeline ?
  7. Home | Royal Navy
    This PDF document has the exact pilot pipelines for helicopter and fast jet, but you will have to wait till the RN website is back up for it to work :)
  8. sorry mate, isn't that just the link to the RN website? Can't see a PDF
  9. For **** sake, took 10 minutes writing out that adress!! Haha
    I cant think of any other way to find it, but when the website is back up you can find it by searching 'military aviation studies pdf' and you will find a table on page 5 that tells you what the pipelines are.
  10. Haha okay cheers mate, will take a look when they finish tinkering with it
  11. just a heads up on that pdf. the pipeline in that guide has been around for years and much has changed! i.e. fireflys are no longer used at Cranwell. Expand your research on that one fellas!
  12. Not to disenchant you but I believe I'm correct in saying you can not join as a rotary pilot. You can only join as a pilot, and then be streamed post EFT (at least this was the case recently).
    Rough pipeline is:
    Hold (about a year)
    Aircrew course (air428 I think) to include survival, AvMed, first aid, and other things.
    EFT and RAF Barkston Heath. 703 NAS with the Grob Tutor. (6 months)
    Hold (about a year)
    SEBRW with 705 NAS/660 Sqn AAC at DHFS, RAF Shawbury. (6 months)
    Hold (6-12 months)
    OCU (6-18 months)

Google the various constituents to find out more.
    The ACLO may tell you the pipeline is 2.5 years long, but expect it to take double that waiting for courses etc. (maybe don't argue with him about it though.)
  13. Given the paucity of fixed wing assets I believe you are incorrect. If you don't join the RN as a rotary pilot what are you going to join as, a kite pilot?

For what it's worth; even when the RN did have fixed wing, one joined the FAA expecting to go rotary. Anyone joining soley to go to the SHAR would need their lumps felt, as the chances of getting it were not too hot. If it was fast jet or nothing, it was a safer bet joining the Crabs but who'd want to do that (unless a big gayer).
  14. Read up on your rule of the road. The amount of YO dabbers you see on small ships that wanted to be harrier pilots is amazing.

Shame though as I reckon you have a great watch......
  15. And the length of holds is variable course by course: there will be a significant reduction in holds post '14 as we transition to 3 new fleets.