Pink gins

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by NautiusMaximus, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My understanding is that the pink gin was invented by the Royal Navy and is a traditional tipple of the Senior Service, but in the year and a bit since I joined the RNR I don't think I've seen anyone drink one.

Whatever happened to such a fine tradition? Or did no-one ever drink them in the first place?

2. I think it all changed when orcifers were obliged to carry their own stores on board, instead of, as previously, having a team of native bearers to perform the task.
    After all tea bags are lighter than gin.

3. I'm not aware of Pink Gin being a traditional Navy drink. Be interesting to see any comments on this

4. Negative Officers only :thumright: matelots have the TOT :w00t: :thumright:

5. Thought it was Horses Necks ? For Officers, that is.

6. Or Vodka & Red Bull these days =( :crying:

7. NautiusMaximus Wrote "My understanding is that the pink gin was invented by the Royal Navy and is a traditional tipple of the Senior Service, but in the year and a bit since I joined the RNR "

Well there in lays the answer to your question.

It is and always has been a Traditional Royal Navy Drink, Hence Plymouth GIN producing the main Part of the cocktail ie GIN.

RNR Traditional drink?????????????????/ Therein is the rub mate.

Go to sea on a real war ship and you would find out

8. Waiting for the bite...!

9. I too thought pink gins were the staple tipple of RN ossifers. Must be all those monochrome war films I watched when I was skin. :biggrin:

Guzzler, I recall reading somewhere today the Red Bull can make your balls drop off.... prematurely. ;)

10. In todays drinking terms a snake bite :pukel:

11. Pink Gin (gin, water and a dash of Angostura Bitters) was an economical officer's drink when mixers cost several times as much as D/F measures of spirits (2p for a sixth of a gill when I joined in 1971). It's popularity waned after the large jump in pay brought about by the introduction of the military salary in 1970. Thereafter, the G&T (gin and tonic) and the HN (Horse's Neck - brandy and dry ginger ale) became more popular tipples.

12. is that why you have a high pitched voice Steve :thumright:

13. :biggrin:

14. The pink bit was invented by an army Surgeon General Seigert and produced in Trinidad and Tobago under the name, still used today, Angostura Bitters.
    It was used by gin drinkers in tropical climes to kill the taste of the anti-malarial quinine.

15. So Pink Gin is actually Pink Gin & Tonic? I didn't realise that, thought it was neat with Angostura.

16. According to the Great Cocktails website (link):

The only Pink Gin drinkers with whom I was acquainted added water to turn it into a longer cheap drink. At the time, a split of Schweppes tonic water cost three times as much as a D/F gin so a 'Pink G&T' would have defeated the object.

17. So nothing to do with quinine then? Must admit that was what I thought.

18. Put two drops of angostura bitters in a glass, swill and ditch the excess, then add a large measure of plymouth gin and swill again, et voila, pink gin.
    I remember being a waiter/barman at a cock and arse party and the skipper saying 'FFS go easy on the mixers, their expensive'...the booze was a lot cheaper.

19. Agostura bitters are in fact used with a number of cocktails, and are a stamndard in any cocktail bar.

NG is quite right Pink Gin, or Pinkers is made by coating the inside of the glass with Angostura adding a measure of gin to taste and filling the glass with plain water. A very common drink in the wardroom due to it's cost. With gin at around 2d a shot and mixers splits at 6d pink gin wins hand down in the economy stakes. Personally I prefer a G&T with a dash of angostura to the true pink gin, but then I am a submariner.

Equally as NG states the introduction of the Military Salary by Mr Gannex himself did allow us young blades to be able to afford the luxury of mixers wityh our spirits.

20. Keep the gin in the freezer - heavy on the gin, easy on the tonic, lots of lemon, and no ice to water it down.