Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal

WreckerL

War Hero
Have you had your land checked for mine shafts and pitheads?
As far as possible, not all shafts and mineworkings were recorded accurately, which is why the local senior schools football pitch disappeared a few years back, fortunately during the school holidays.

Sumo

War Hero
As far as possible, not all shafts and mineworkings were recorded accurately, which is why the local senior schools football pitch disappeared a few years back, fortunately during the school holidays.
My wife's grandfathers family moved from Wales to Kernow as a mining family, he said his father worked all over the place, as mines closed and opened, some were just small family concerns, literally dug a hole in their garden?

fishhead

War Hero
My wife's grandfathers family moved from Wales to Kernow as a mining family, he said his father worked all over the place, as mines closed and opened, some were just small family concerns, literally dug a hole in their garden?
I did that. I told my neighbour it was for a fish pond. It turned there was no tin to be mined so it is a fish pond now. :)

cheddarman

Midshipman
I've just realised that the above medal is the General Service Malay Medal issued by the MOD, not Malaysia as it is today!!
It seems that when I applied for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal the MOD realised that I hadn't yet received my GSM so made it up and sent it.
Still waiting for the one from KL!

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
You will not get both I'm afraid. Since you discovered you were eligible for the UK joint services GSM that was the principal Campaign Medal. The Malaysian Government offered theirs to those who just missed out on the British one. It's either, not both.

cheddarman

Midshipman
Ah, OK. Thanks for that. :confused: I have to wonder why the MOD processed my application for the other one, knowing that they were issuing the GSM???

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Perhaps we can assume the Admiralty that looked after us then was rather more efficient than the MOD that looks after them--and us, sadly ,through Veterans uk or whatever they're calling themselves today.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
(granny) Current Affairs 25
Old_Bill Current Affairs 7