Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal

cheddarman

Midshipman
Hi folks. My first mission of this forum. Served in boats 50's and 60's and it was in the early 60's that found me in Singapore, HMS/M Anchorite. We were kept pretty busy patrolling the Straits during the Malaysia/Indonesian confrontation and I have found that we are all entitled to receive the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal for our efforts.

I have now completed two forms and sent them off the the Military Attache at the Malay Embassy in London along with proof of service as instructed but have heard nothing.

Has anybody had any success with this??

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
or....to make life easier, you can buy one

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
to the wider audience.............................is this pukka or waltism ??

cheddarman

Midshipman
Any one can buy a medal but it would not be specific to that person. Medals issued officially have the name and rank of the person it is awarded to around the outside. I heard of someone actually being invited to the Embassy for a proper job presentation!!

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
to the wider audience.............................is this pukka or waltism ??

It is pukka.

cheddarman

Midshipman
Then I'll explain (sa)! From another Forum I was initially told that I had to apply through the Malay embassy and was shown where to get the forms, addresses etc. These were completed and sent off but heard nothing. I repeated the process last year with the same result, nothing. I have now, from here been given the MOD medal request which I have now completed and sent off! OK??

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Then I'll explain (sa)! From another Forum I was initially told that I had to apply through the Malay embassy and was shown where to get the forms, addresses etc. These were completed and sent off but heard nothing. I repeated the process last year with the same result, nothing. I have now, from here been given the MOD medal request which I have now completed and sent off! OK??
As @Joint_Force_Harrier said, I think we're at crossed purposes.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Hi folks. My first mission of this forum. Served in boats 50's and 60's and it was in the early 60's that found me in Singapore, HMS/M Anchorite. We were kept pretty busy patrolling the Straits during the Malaysia/Indonesian confrontation and I have found that we are all entitled to receive the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal for our efforts.

I have now completed two forms and sent them off the the Military Attache at the Malay Embassy in London along with proof of service as instructed but have heard nothing.

Has anybody had any success with this??
Malaysia is part of the Commonwealth so is a High Commission. Its current Defence Advisor is Brig. Gen.Dato' Subari Tomo

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Thanks ratsroden. I'll see what comes from the MOD application and then go back to them if no joy!
Pleasure to help. Your service details will need to be verified as having served in a combat zone then The Malaysian High Commissioner will award you the Pingat Jasa medal. Her Majesty has given approval for the award to be worn alongside Imperial medals. If you have no Imperial medals ---wear your Pingat Jasa Award on your chest with pride.The Royal navy issued their GSM clasp Malaya prior to this medal

cheddarman

Midshipman
For all those, like me, who would be interested in receiving the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal, here is the (actually quite simple) way to do it.

The criteria for this medal is that you need to have served in Malaya (as it was then) or Singapore with an active unit between August 1957 and August 1966 for at least 90 days.

Fill out the PJM Application form (attached) and send it to Sally Overthrow at:

The Ministry of Defence Medal Office
Innsworth House
Imjin Barracks
Innsworth
GLOUCESTER
Gloucestershire GL3 1HW

They will verify that you did the service and stamp the form and send it back to you with a covering letter.

You then need to send the approved form, a copy of your passport, a copy of the MOD letter and a copy of the relevant part of your service record or discharge note to: (wait for it):

PJM Awards
Principle Assistance Secretary D6)
Policy and Strategic Planning Division
Ministry of Defence
Level 8.20, Wisma Pertahanan
Jalan Padang Tembak
50634 KUALA LUMPUR
MALAYSIA

Then I guess you just wait and see what [email protected]

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
(granny) Current Affairs 25