Pilot's wings to be awarded to RAF's drone controllers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Dec 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .
    RAF's earthbound pilots get their wings - Telegraph .

....Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton, the Chief of the Air Staff, yesterday announced that the RAF is creating a new class of pilots within its Flying Branch for personnel who control unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

The new class of personnel will be known as Remotely Piloted Air System Pilots and will have their own badge, bearing the same wings that are given to pilots of conventional aircraft...

...The UAV pilots will still have to gain basic qualifications flying conventional aircraft, but the bulk of their careers will then be spent on the ground....
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

At least the Drone pilots get to shoot at things, something their biggles brothers haven't done for a while.
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Handlebar moustache optional.

.. Thios magnificent men in their flying armchairs ..

Gosh, Biggles, is that the time?1600? Must get home to wifey.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. wet_blobby

1600 hrs..... jeez... you knew some extra hard working crabs.... :)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Question is, if the UAV gets shot down over Iran (as keeps happening with the US ones), do they earn a bespoke Iranian suit by proxy?
  6. wet_blobby

It would be only fair if they did.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I think they have to give themselves up and become a POW.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. i'm applying for mine on account of my many hours on Microsoft flight simulator.
  9. I heard a buzz that STCs are to be awarded their Dolphins, slightly modified to show the world that they are superior to their deep diving comrades:clap:
  10. Uhmmm justifying there existence by some chance

Does this mean the yew mateloes on the reaper sqdn will no longer be qualified as they don't have the new Xbox wings

Crabs - I shit em - especially after a ruby Murray :)
    • Like Like x 1