Pilots and Observers - Age Limit on entry Increased to 34

Frusciante

Midshipman
Does anyone know if there was a DIN or RNTM that came out for this?
I'm afraid as a civvy I don't know what those acronyms mean but if it sheds any light I was told...

"I am afraid that a new recruiting instruction has just been issued, The Pilot role has now been closed and those in the process over the age of 26 can no longer have their application processed, you are recommended to look at the following roles which are still open, Officer roles Observer and warfare officer or rating Aircraft Controller..."

"...I can only apologies for the change in recruiting instructions but due to recent influx of candidates Captain Naval Recruiting has reduced the maximum age for certain roles and has closed several officer roles for new applications including Pilot..."

soleil

War Hero
It is true that there have been changes on the recruitment front recently.

What I have been told is that a directive has been issued which means that a number of Officer roles are being closed to applications for the next six months.

A further caveat for some of the roles is that the entry age limit has been reduced to 26 for the next 12 months.

The role of Pilot falls into both of the above-mentioned categories: it is now closed to new applicants and the cut-off age limit has now been set at 26.

The situation for the roles affected will be looked at again in 12 months' time.

Knuckles

Midshipman
It's been reduced back to 26, I was in the process and was told yesterday that the branch was now closed for applicants and those over the age of 26 will not have their applications progressed.
Same situation here. Was an overseas candidate. All officer roles have been shut for 6 months and pilots in particular for 12 months.

The pandemic situation also caused a surge of applicants, particularly a number of ex-airline pilots to apply for the Aircrew Officer Pilot roles.

jm9.53

I have been checking the Officer Pilot page regularly over the past few months. It seems that applications have opened again in the past few days, but, as stated by others here previously, the age limit has indeed been reduced back to 26.

Disappointing to those who had hoped of applying beyond 26 (myself included), but based on OP's comment at the start of the thread, the increased age limit of 34 ran for about 18 months.

The role of Pilot falls into both of the above-mentioned categories: it is now closed to new applicants and the cut-off age limit has now been set at 26.

The situation for the roles affected will be looked at again in 12 months' time.

And I do not know how things are run internally recruitment-wise, but the 12 month timeframe suggested by Soleil seems to have been reduced, so there may be hope yet of another age limit increase!

Good luck to all those still in the process.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Midshipman
I have been checking the Officer Pilot page regularly over the past few months. It seems that applications have opened again in the past few days, but, as stated by others here previously, the age limit has indeed been reduced back to 26.

Disappointing to those who had hoped of applying beyond 26 (myself included), but based on OP's comment at the start of the thread, the increased age limit of 34 ran for about 18 months.

And I do not know how things are run internally recruitment-wise, but the 12 month timeframe suggested by Soleil seems to have been reduced, so there may be hope yet of another age limit increase!

Good luck to all those still in the process.
Likewise, was looking into it almost everyday. Started a new application for Aircrew Observer Role, even though my current line of work has me to do flight and system tests. But I figure something better than nothing at all. Best of luck to y'all !!!

Anybody know if there is any development on this? I was 28 when I applied for Pilot but was asked to withdraw from the application process or transfer my application to Observer.

I'm nearly 29 now and I was told the situation would be reassessed/reviewed in a years time.

Waspie

War Hero
Anybody know if there is any development on this? I was 28 when I applied for Pilot but was asked to withdraw from the application process or transfer my application to Observer.

I'm nearly 29 now and I was told the situation would be reassessed/reviewed in a years time.
Who 'told' you the situation had changed!!!!! If it wasn't an AFCO then take the info with a pinch of salt!!

Who 'told' you the situation had changed!!!!! If it wasn't an AFCO then take the info with a pinch of salt!!
nobody told me the situation had changed. i was advised that when the age limit was reduced back down again, the situation would be reviewed. my navy afco do not answer telephone or emails, they consist of one nco and a receptionist and they are working from home so its very hard to get hold of anybody, was seeing if anybody here knew thats all!

Waspie

War Hero
nobody told me the situation had changed. i was advised that when the age limit was reduced back down again, the situation would be reviewed. my navy afco do not answer telephone or emails, they consist of one nco and a receptionist and they are working from home so its very hard to get hold of anybody, was seeing if anybody here knew thats all!
I was only quoting what you wrote on here!!!
This is an unofficial forum, why would anyone on here know any different!!!

I was only quoting what you wrote on here!!!
This is an unofficial forum, why would anyone on here know any different!!!
i did not write that.

forums such as navynet and arrse sometimes have users that are currently serving and sometimes can provide insider scope. I'm merely exploring every avenue of info i can. there are also applicants that may have heard from their afco on any update. it took my recruiter a while to realise that the age limit had been reduced and did not terminate my application for some time. if the very people involved in the process dont know, then i dont expect much but i was just curious so thought id ask