Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pilots and Observers - Age Limit on entry Increased to 34

The maximum entry age for Pilot and Observer has been lifted to 34 years old, which seems odd.

Considering the mess that MFTS is in with regards to holds and the drying up of recruitment for Aircrew down to absolute minimums has left me wondering, am I missing something?

How many pilots and observers are the RN looking to recruit next year? Are the numbers large enough to justify an age increase that wouldn’t see somebody hitting the front line until their forties?

WW

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
When age and other eligibility criteria are changed, it normally suggests that there are insufficient applicants of the relevant standard.

In terms of aircrew, there's a difficult line to be trodden as there is a very clear link between age and success in training; the older, the higher the risk.

For the RAF, age upper age limits are 26 for pilot, 32 for RPAS(Pilot) and 33 for WSO/WSOp. However, our AFCOs particularly target school leavers as they have a statistically higher success rate in flying training and we get a greater return of service from them.

In related news, the Red Arrows have announced their 2 new pilots for next season...

Regards,
MM

When age and other eligibility criteria are changed, it normally suggests that there are insufficient applicants of the relevant standard.

In terms of aircrew, there's a difficult line to be trodden as there is a very clear link between age and success in training; the older, the higher the risk.

For the RAF, age upper age limits are 26 for pilot, 32 for RPAS(Pilot) and 33 for WSO/WSOp. However, our AFCOs particularly target school leavers as they have a statistically higher success rate in flying training and we get a greater return of service from them.

In related news, the Red Arrows have announced their 2 new pilots for next season...

Regards,
MM

Of course, if your flying training system is designed to cater for 18 year olds, then it is unsurprising that they do better in it than 32 year olds.

It's probably a good thing that we are exempt from age related employment discrimination, as im not sure we could prove there was a reason why the flying training system had to be designed that way. Especially given the cluster that is MFTS...

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
Of course, if your flying training system is designed to cater for 18 year olds, then it is unsurprising that they do better in it than 32 year olds.

It's probably a good thing that we are exempt from age related employment discrimination, as im not sure we could prove there was a reason why the flying training system had to be designed that way. Especially given the cluster that is MFTS...

The training system isn't designed for 18 year olds or even the younger end of the recruit demographic. It's just that there is clear statistical evidence which shows that students under the age of 21 have a higher success rate in trg.

But MFTS is undoubtedly a cluster!

Regards,
MM

jm9.53

I notice that the Army has upped the age limit for Officer Pilot from 26 (I think) to 28.

Also interesting to see that as of the past week or two applications for Pilot and ATC are no longer being accepted at the moment. Observer still open though...

I notice that the Army has upped the age limit for Officer Pilot from 26 (I think) to 28.

Also interesting to see that as of the past week or two applications for Pilot and ATC are no longer being accepted at the moment. Observer still open though...

It’s been 28 (and 11 months) for a few years now.

interesting that pilot is now closed though - a blend of MFTS slowdowns and an impending SDSR (How many F35s will we take in the end) I assume.

slim

War Hero
The old saying was "You get Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, you don't get Old Bold Pilots"

Guess that may have to be rewritten

Frusciante

Midshipman
It's been reduced back to 26, I was in the process and was told yesterday that the branch was now closed for applicants and those over the age of 26 will not have their applications progressed.

Frusciante

Midshipman
Does anyone know if there was a DIN or RNTM that came out for this?
I'm afraid as a civvy I don't know what those acronyms mean but if it sheds any light I was told...

"I am afraid that a new recruiting instruction has just been issued, The Pilot role has now been closed and those in the process over the age of 26 can no longer have their application processed, you are recommended to look at the following roles which are still open, Officer roles Observer and warfare officer or rating Aircraft Controller..."

"...I can only apologies for the change in recruiting instructions but due to recent influx of candidates Captain Naval Recruiting has reduced the maximum age for certain roles and has closed several officer roles for new applications including Pilot..."

soleil

War Hero
It is true that there have been changes on the recruitment front recently.

What I have been told is that a directive has been issued which means that a number of Officer roles are being closed to applications for the next six months.

A further caveat for some of the roles is that the entry age limit has been reduced to 26 for the next 12 months.

The role of Pilot falls into both of the above-mentioned categories: it is now closed to new applicants and the cut-off age limit has now been set at 26.

The situation for the roles affected will be looked at again in 12 months' time.

Knuckles

It's been reduced back to 26, I was in the process and was told yesterday that the branch was now closed for applicants and those over the age of 26 will not have their applications progressed.
Same situation here. Was an overseas candidate. All officer roles have been shut for 6 months and pilots in particular for 12 months.

The pandemic situation also caused a surge of applicants, particularly a number of ex-airline pilots to apply for the Aircrew Officer Pilot roles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Olly013 A bit of advice for aspiring Pilots, Observers and Aircrewmen Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
scouse Fish head pilots and observers!!! The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse Skin Pilots/Observers The Fleet Air Arm 0
W Calling All Helicopter Pilots And Observers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Green social prescribing pilots open for applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sport pilots to be reduced in capacity to 1,000 people socially distanced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New pilots announced for return of spectators to elite sport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Five local authorities announced to trailblaze England’s nature recovery pilots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pilots announced for return of spectators to elite sports events MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible operating hours pilots conclude at Manchester and Brentford MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Entrepreneur training pilots for refugees launched across the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Another success for the government’s voter ID pilots: 22 July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Start date announced for extended court hours pilots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and US pilots to prepare for frontline on state-of-the-art simulators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Next round of Voter ID pilots announced for 2019 MoD News 0
D Rating pilots The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Press release: UK fighter pilots fly F-35 for the first time following training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: F-35 jet and new batch of UK pilots cleared for Carrier take-off, Defence... MoD News 2
C Newly Passed Pilots, how was your time? The Fleet Air Arm 5
W CPO WW2 pilots wings The Fleet Air Arm 7
Frusciante Pilots and Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
BillyNoMates Test Pilots The Fleet Air Arm 6
B Accommodation for Officers (Pilots, Aircrew etc.)? The Fleet Air Arm 11
B Promotion prospects and general information about RN Pilots. The Fleet Air Arm 16
Joint_Force_Harrier RN Pilots (Ratings) The Fleet Air Arm 21
A Navy vs RAF vs Army pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 13
soleil Mail: "BehinD The Scenes With The British Pilots Learning To Fly F-35 Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 5
A Do R.A.F pilots get to land and operate from Aircraft Carriers? or is it only F.A.A? The Fleet Air Arm 23
C Three remembered FAA Pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 6
AAF Buccaneer test pilots remembered. The Fleet Air Arm 4
C RM Pilots! The Corps 29
soleil Pompey News: "Simulator Puts Pilots Into The Flying Seat For Fighter Jet Training" The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Reaper pilots gain wings MoD News 15
MoD_RSS News story: Double first for French and British fast jet pilots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Navy pilots swap Afghan desert for Norway snow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pilots prepare for landing on Royal Navy's new carriers MoD News 0
M Pipeline for pilots training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
janner Tips For Student Pilots The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil ITV: "Navy Pilots Speak Of Responsibility Of Carrying Olympic Flame" The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil BBC: "Royal Navy 'Top Gun' Pilots Train To Fly US Fighters‎" The Fleet Air Arm 3
SARKING Young Pilots... The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Mail: "RAF And Royal Navy Pilots In The Cockpit On Your British Airways Holiday Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 1
Naval_Gazer British aviator pilots Harrier for the last time The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Mail: "Bandits à Neuf Heures, Jacques! RAF Pilots Have Language Lessons" (sic) The Fleet Air Arm 10
J Crab Pilots Disciplined Current Affairs 11
scouse 303 Squadron Polish Pilots , such a sad ending!! in betrayal. last night CH 4. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
soleil The First Two Royal Navy Pilots Qualified Exactly 100 Years Ago The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil Mail: RAF Harrier Pilots Given £100,000 Pay-offs; Their RN Counterparts Get Nothing The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Telegraph: "Shortage Of RAF Pilots For Libya As Defence Budget Cuts Bite" Current Affairs 14
Merlin28 43% of RAF trainee pilots will lose their jobs Current Affairs 26