Pilot pipeline blanks

jamesgiles

Midshipman
Hi I'm a Potential Aircrew Officer Pilot and have my sift interview coming up soon.

Im sorted on all the training and aircraft/ ships I think, I'm just wondering how much detail is needed with regard to the Navy and current affairs. I have yet to find a list of where each ship etc. is stationed or something similar, the map on the RN website doesn't seem very reliable.

Does the info need to be detailed or just what has been in the mainstream press about the Navy?

Cheers in advance

soleil

War Hero
Hi James!

Welcome!

Would suggest as a starter that you get a copy of Navy News from W H Smith.

Also, quick link for you here:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/package/55/flash.html

and you will like this:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/RN_Ships_and_Subs_Jan09.pdf

Suggest also that you sign up for a newsfeed from one of the broadsheets

Plus check this out

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=7213.html

and have a quick browse through the Fleet forum:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewforum/f=6.html

to get a rough idea as to who is doing what and where.

Anything which appears in the press about the RN is usually on Rum Ration by lunchtime.

With regard to current issues, you could ask yourself about the defence budget - what are the particular tensions in how that budget is allocated - could these tensions impact on RN spending - eg on the JSF?

jamesgiles

Midshipman
Hi thanks for that those links were useful. Just read in the navy news about a rethink of the helicopters of the FAA, among the other changes, quite a big shake up it seems.

scouse

War Hero
jamesgiles said:
Hi thanks for that those links were useful. Just read in the navy news about a rethink of the helicopters of the FAA, among the other changes, quite a big shake up it seems.
:roll: :roll: Please do tell :wink:

jamesgiles

Midshipman
It says;

Older Lynx and Merlin Mk.1's retired early, replaced by Wildcat and Mk.2's

All Sea Kings out of service by 2016.
Junglie Sea Kings changed to Merlin Mk. 3's, transferred from RAF.
ASaC to be carried out by modified Merlin Mk.1's.
SAR apparently to be a joint initiative between Coastguard and MOD, being completely overhauled.
All 62 Lynx Wildcats will be based at Yeovilton. (MOD buying 8 more to replace battlefield Lynx)

jamesgiles

Midshipman
Hi I'm just wondering, if there Is a detailed thread on the training at BRNC. The RN website seems to only provide a summary. I found a link on the Rn website with videos of the different compnents of the training but don't seem to be able to find it anymore.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some more detailed info would be appreciated.

CityBoy1988

Lantern Swinger
for your sift, you just need to be able to know how long BRNC is, how long each term is, the breakdown of what happens in each term such as the assessed leadership exercises (ABLE) and when you do them, and also learn what the 5 pillars are which are taught in the first term.

Powder

Lantern Swinger
jamesgiles said:
It says;

Older Lynx and Merlin Mk.1's retired early, replaced by Wildcat and Mk.2's

All Sea Kings out of service by 2016.
Junglie Sea Kings changed to Merlin Mk. 3's, transferred from RAF.
ASaC to be carried out by modified Merlin Mk.1's.
SAR apparently to be a joint initiative between Coastguard and MOD, being completely overhauled.
All 62 Lynx Wildcats will be based at Yeovilton. (MOD buying 8 more to replace battlefield Lynx)
WOW! If thats true, then no more Sea Kings :( Badtimes. I liked them aswell.
So the whole fleet will be Lynx and Merlins. Just a quick question.. What do "old lynx" count as. Which model/s?

And Cityboy I think you got pretty damn grilled on your sift interview by the sounds of it. My interviewer passed me within 15 minutes said I was a nice young chap that had a lot of motivation and things going for me. The only question I got asked on the RN (and I may the only one) was "What is the role of an officer"

CityBoy1988

Lantern Swinger
I wasn't grilled too badly, i just happened to know the 5 pillars bit and how long each term was so when he asked me to describe BRNC and officer training, I started reeling it off and then he stopped me and quickly moved on as I clearly knew what happened. Other than BRNC I was asked what the role of a T23 was and that was it...

jamesgiles

Midshipman
What do "old lynx" count as. Which model/s?

I can't find any info whih ones will be replaced first, I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge can offer more insight

I believe the HAS.3 might be older, so will prob be replaced first, but that's just a guess.

I have another question, how does the pilot part of training fit into the officer training? Is the grading after BRNC, or is one taken out of BRNC to do the grading?

Cheers

Powder

Lantern Swinger
jamesgiles said:
What do "old lynx" count as. Which model/s?

I can't find any info whih ones will be replaced first, I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge can offer more insight

I believe the HAS.3 might be older, so will prob be replaced first, but that's just a guess.

I have another question, how does the pilot part of training fit into the officer training? Is the grading after BRNC, or is one taken out of BRNC to do the grading?

Cheers
I believe that the flying grading takes place after passing out of BRNC.

Latest Threads