Pilot pipeline blanks

CityBoy1988

Lantern Swinger
DUring my SIFT i wasnt asked about any aircraft (i am applying for pilot also so was clued up anyway just in case) but i guess it depends on the ACLO and what they tend to ask - i was asked about type 22/type 23s and their role, and a few bits about new ships coming in. Deffo learn everything you can about the timetable at Dartmouth!!! I did this the night before so it was fresh in my mind and rolled it all off week by week which he was impressed by and very quickly moved on!!

Quick question from me - My pack was signed off by the ACLO and sent to AIB just before the xmas break - does anybody know roughly how long I will be waiting before I am given a date for FATs? and will I simply receive a letter saying this is your date?

Thanks

Yorkey

Badgeman
Powder said:
Damn Yorkey, sounds like you got absoloutly grilled on the RN questions!!

I am dreading them asking me to "name everything you know..". I find it much easier if people are more specific. "what is the cruise speed for.." or "what weapons does..." etc..

PS: What is on the nose of the Lynx Mk8? I always thought it was some kind of Sonar/Radar thing.

It's the sea owl thermal imaging camera and sea spray radar. I'm on my iPhone Atm so don't have the link but I know a good naval technology site that has all the info on the various aircraft - I'll pm you it later if you want.

lonestar

War Hero
CityBoy1988 said:
Quick question from me - My pack was signed off by the ACLO and sent to AIB just before the xmas break - does anybody know roughly how long I will be waiting before I am given a date for FATs? and will I simply receive a letter saying this is your date?

Thanks

It is normally about 8 weeks but with Christmas leave in the middle it will probably be slightly longer, they had to cancel a board due to the snow the other week too so they have been a bit frantic rearranging all the details for that too. Give them a bell if you haven't heard anything by mid-late February.

soleil

War Hero
This kind of thing?

lynx4.jpg
[/img]

CityBoy1988

Lantern Swinger
lonestar said:
CityBoy1988 said:

Thanks

It is normally about 8 weeks but with Christmas leave in the middle it will probably be slightly longer, they had to cancel a board due to the snow the other week too so they have been a bit frantic rearranging all the details for that too. Give them a bell if you haven't heard anything by mid-late February.

no chance of me making the april entry then!!! i figured there would have been issues with the weather...nevermind!

perksy

Yorkey said:
Powder said:

I am dreading them asking me to "name everything you know..". I find it much easier if people are more specific. "what is the cruise speed for.." or "what weapons does..." etc..

PS: What is on the nose of the Lynx Mk8? I always thought it was some kind of Sonar/Radar thing.

It's the sea owl thermal imaging camera and sea spray radar. I'm on my iPhone Atm so don't have the link but I know a good naval technology site that has all the info on the various aircraft - I'll pm you it later if you want.

Could you also PM me the link or post it here please, it'd be mighty useful. Thanks.

Powder

Lantern Swinger
Yorkey said:
Powder said:

Yes please!

karskin

Badgeman
Powder said:
karskin said:
Although you didn't seem to get pulled up on it, the grading course is definetly 7 weeks long, I know as I was due to be starting it in February
This may seem a completely n00b question, but heck, its the newbie section.
What actually happens within the Flying Grading? Is it like exams or just being around an airfield and learning bits and bobs? Very unaware. I thought it was just flying exams?

3 weeks of academics, where you learn principles of flight, history of the fleet air arm, air power and all that good stuff. Then you go to yeovilton where you do 13 hours on the Grob Tutor, where you learn all the basics, taking off, landing, turns stalls and spins etc. This culminates in a checkride that you have to pass to progress to flying training.