Pilot pipeline blanks

Yorkey

Badgeman
Hey, I'm a POC for Pilot - awaiting my sift interview. The forums ahve been really useful for preparing for the interview though I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find the answer for. I understand that pilot pipeline is 4 1/2 years or so but the RN website doesn't list the approximate length of aspects of the pipeline. Here is what I have discovered so far,

Dartmouth - 28 weeks
Grading - Yeovilton - 2 weeks
Aircrew survival course - 5 days?
EFT - unknown
DHFS - 6 months
OCU (rotary) - Unknown

Would be great if anyone could help me fill in the gaps.

RadioSilence

Lantern Swinger
I think that information is available somewhere - I had originally applied for AOP, and I remember reading a sheet that laid out the timeline for training for observers, as well as both rotary and fixed wing pilots. I'm not sure where I got this though - I have a feeling it was in my information pack that my school had. If you can't find this, there is a live chat tomorrow on the RN website, with a pilot. You could always post a question for him!

scouse

War Hero
Yorkey said:
Hey, I'm a POC for Pilot - awaiting my sift interview. The forums ahve been really useful for preparing for the interview though I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find the answer for. I understand that pilot pipeline is 4 1/2 years or so but the RN website doesn't list the approximate length of aspects of the pipeline. Here is what I have discovered so far,

Dartmouth - 28 weeks
Grading - Yeovilton - 2 weeks
Aircrew survival course - 5 days?
EFT - unknown
DHFS - 6 months
OCU (rotary) - Unknown

Would be great if anyone could help me fill in the gaps.
Why dont you PM Pontius :wink: :wink:

karskin

Badgeman
Grading - 7 weeks altogether (including academics)
Aircrew survival - 7 weeks altogether
EFT - 6 months
OCU - Differs depending on what airframe you get streamed to, I believe the junglie squadrons are the longest

And remember that's only if you jump straight from course to course, you'll likely have a lot of hold overs.

Yorkey

Badgeman
Hmm, when I was on a Special Flying Award in Yeovilton over the summer they said grading was only 2 weeks including the grond schooling. I said that in my interview and the Lt didn't mention it in the de-briefing. Indeed the Lt commented very favourably on my description of the pilot pipeline. Managed to pass it anyhoo which is the main thing - finally feeling as though my application is making progress! I'd recommend the SFA to all hopeful pilot POCs btw - it's essentially the grading course but slightly condensed into 10 days and without the need to learn all the pre-flight, in-flight, post flight checks.

Powder

Lantern Swinger
Yorkey said:
Hmm, when I was on a Special Flying Award in Yeovilton over the summer they said grading was only 2 weeks including the grond schooling. I said that in my interview and the Lt didn't mention it in the de-briefing. Indeed the Lt commented very favourably on my description of the pilot pipeline. Managed to pass it anyhoo which is the main thing - finally feeling as though my application is making progress! I'd recommend the SFA to all hopeful pilot POCs btw - it's essentially the grading course but slightly condensed into 10 days and without the need to learn all the pre-flight, in-flight, post flight checks.
Congrats on passing. Did he ask you about the pilot pipeline, or did you just end up talking about it?

Also - is the SFA, the gliding scholarship?

And alsooo, have you done medical/fitness and RT, as I know some people have them all in different orders, depending on how busy their ACLO is.

Powder

Lantern Swinger
The reason i was getting confused with the RN website pipeline (as linked above) was because I thought it was the following;

EFT 6 months, RAF Cranwell/Barkston, Slingsby Firefly.
Basic Fast Jet Training (BFJT), RAF Linton on Ouse, 9 months, RAF Tucano.
Advanced Fast Jet Training, RAF Valley, 9 months, RAF Hawk,
Operational Harrier Training, RAF Cottesmore/Wittering, 9 months, Harrier.