Pilot lands faulty fighter jet on a stool at sea

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Ships_Cat, Jun 27, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Beat this, Pontius.....

The US military has released video of a fighter pilot landing his jet on a ship faultlessly and without full landing gear on 7 June.

When the front landing gear malfunctioned he had to land vertically, bringing the nose of the aircraft down to rest on a stool.

US Marine Corps Capt. William Mahoney explained that he could not even see the stool underneath his plane.

He later realised the crew of the USS Bataan had evacuated the landing deck in case he crashed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28065288

2. Bloody big stool, shaped exactly like the underneath of an AV8B

3. we've all done stuff....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Normal size for American arses. :usa2: :pottytrain2:

5. Everythings bigger in Texas, apart from IQs

6. Course you have, otherwise you'd be Alfred the SAT......

7. Bugger put it on "one for Pontius" 40 mins after you posted here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I saw this a couple of days ago and thought the stool was a pretty good idea. Mattresses have been used in the past with less success by a SHAR squadron, following the departure of an outrigger. At the risk of really 'outing' myself, I have included some photos of an incident with my nose wheel. The leg itself locked down but a screw had come undone or maybe it was a split pin had fallen off (something technical, anyway), causing the rest of the landing gear to flop around. Unfortunately, it happened at the end of a flight, so I didn't have time to hang around due to a lack of go-juice. Somehow I managed to land gently (never managed it before, or since) and kept the nose a little higher than normal to try and cushion the effect of the lack of wheel. It seemed to work as there was no damage and after lifting the aircraft, allowing the wheel to flop into its normal position and nailing a new screw in place the aircraft was signed up as good to go. Having said all that, I reckon the USMC blackcats my story =-(

191630_210556508961542_3123177_o_2.jpg
    Gently does it.

192737_210556582294868_942908_o_2.jpg
    At least there's no need for a ladder

172346_210556522294874_18261_o_2.jpg
    Going for the low profile look

172679_210556542294872_366409_o_2.jpg
    Missing screw = floppy undercarriage

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. "a screw had come undone or maybe it was a split pin had fallen off"

I bet that was what you wrote in the pt 5 as well......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ponch needs all the fanmail he can get. The short-arsed plane wrecking twat.

11. Hey, come on, 6ft isn't THAT short-arsed. The rest could, possibly, be very accurate (plus a few more adjectives, I'm sure) =)

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are times when I nearly feel moved to pass a complimentary comment about FAA pilots, but fortunately I remembered in time.

Anyway, mate of mine did just that with his VW Combi van....

13. 'Lands jet on stool' Thought it was going to be about a forced landing in a sewage plant.

14. Saw an FA2 do the same, however the pilot (nickname nil by night) due to his fear of night deck landings didn't know. Only realised when the killick chockhead and him were both at the same head height.

15. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The problem today is there's never a Spanish container ship about when you need one.

16. AAF

AAF Badgeman

17. That must be Lord Flashhearts work.

WOOOOF!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fair play, but every Shar driver I saw could walk under the aden pods with a top hat on.

Besides which, you know why every pilot has to drive a ragtop. So they can hear everyone calling them a c-word....

(haters gotta hate..)

19. To be fair, night traps are a thing of wonder. Not for no reason were so many of NASAs best former carrier qualified fliers. If you can handle a night trap everything else is downhill. Then you just have to take scotchbrite and brasso into the shower to clean yer bollocks with.

20. Ha, ha, much be a coincidence :)

This is not a photo of mine but I did own one at one point. Luckily the noisy twin carbs blocked out the abuse being hurled at me ;-P

images.jpeg

PS: I've just noticed Google images have allowed a Yank to pollute the place with a photo. My steering wheel was on the correct side of the veehickle.