Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pilot lands faulty fighter jet on a stool at sea

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Beat this, Pontius.....

The US military has released video of a fighter pilot landing his jet on a ship faultlessly and without full landing gear on 7 June.

When the front landing gear malfunctioned he had to land vertically, bringing the nose of the aircraft down to rest on a stool.

US Marine Corps Capt. William Mahoney explained that he could not even see the stool underneath his plane.

He later realised the crew of the USS Bataan had evacuated the landing deck in case he crashed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28065288

Pontius

War Hero
I saw this a couple of days ago and thought the stool was a pretty good idea. Mattresses have been used in the past with less success by a SHAR squadron, following the departure of an outrigger. At the risk of really 'outing' myself, I have included some photos of an incident with my nose wheel. The leg itself locked down but a screw had come undone or maybe it was a split pin had fallen off (something technical, anyway), causing the rest of the landing gear to flop around. Unfortunately, it happened at the end of a flight, so I didn't have time to hang around due to a lack of go-juice. Somehow I managed to land gently (never managed it before, or since) and kept the nose a little higher than normal to try and cushion the effect of the lack of wheel. It seemed to work as there was no damage and after lifting the aircraft, allowing the wheel to flop into its normal position and nailing a new screw in place the aircraft was signed up as good to go. Having said all that, I reckon the USMC blackcats my story =-(

191630_210556508961542_3123177_o_2.jpg
Gently does it.

192737_210556582294868_942908_o_2.jpg
At least there's no need for a ladder

172346_210556522294874_18261_o_2.jpg
Going for the low profile look

172679_210556542294872_366409_o_2.jpg
Missing screw = floppy undercarriage

Last edited:

Ships_Cat

War Hero
"a screw had come undone or maybe it was a split pin had fallen off"

I bet that was what you wrote in the pt 5 as well......

Pontius

War Hero
Hey, come on, 6ft isn't THAT short-arsed. The rest could, possibly, be very accurate (plus a few more adjectives, I'm sure) =)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There are times when I nearly feel moved to pass a complimentary comment about FAA pilots, but fortunately I remembered in time.

Anyway, mate of mine did just that with his VW Combi van....

Saw an FA2 do the same, however the pilot (nickname nil by night) due to his fear of night deck landings didn't know. Only realised when the killick chockhead and him were both at the same head height.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Hey, come on, 6ft isn't THAT short-arsed. The rest could, possibly, be very accurate (plus a few more adjectives, I'm sure) =)

Fair play, but every Shar driver I saw could walk under the aden pods with a top hat on.

Besides which, you know why every pilot has to drive a ragtop. So they can hear everyone calling them a c-word....

(haters gotta hate..)

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Saw an FA2 do the same, however the pilot (nickname nil by night) due to his fear of night deck landings didn't know. Only realised when the killick chockhead and him were both at the same head height.

To be fair, night traps are a thing of wonder. Not for no reason were so many of NASAs best former carrier qualified fliers. If you can handle a night trap everything else is downhill. Then you just have to take scotchbrite and brasso into the shower to clean yer bollocks with.

Pontius

War Hero
Besides which, you know why every pilot has to drive a ragtop. So they can hear everyone calling them a c-word....

Ha, ha, much be a coincidence :)

This is not a photo of mine but I did own one at one point. Luckily the noisy twin carbs blocked out the abuse being hurled at me ;-P

images.jpeg

PS: I've just noticed Google images have allowed a Yank to pollute the place with a photo. My steering wheel was on the correct side of the veehickle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slim Blind pilot lands in record books The Gash Barge 5
MoD_RSS Pilot for family members to get regular testing for safer care home visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Liverpool to be regularly tested for coronavirus in first whole city testing pilot MoD News 0
Waspie Rating to Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 17
soleil BBC4 - Wednesday, September 16th 2020 - 9 pm - Britain's Greatest Pilot: The Extraordinary Story of Captain Winkle Brown The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Innovative new pilot launched to speed up access to key services MoD News 0
O How bad is the Aircrew Pilot/Observer Qualification pipeline? Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Airbus A319-111, Obscured pilot vision caused by misted oxygen mask MoD News 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
S Pilot role for commonwealth ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Planning Inspectorate casework continues as first pilot digital hearing to take place in May MoD News 0
BFRS123 Tyhoon Simulator Instructor Pilot The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
W How long at sea - pilot / obs The Fleet Air Arm 3
J Applying for pilot roles in Navy and RAF simultaneously Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
P Pilot Medical Fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Courts and tribunals service centres to pilot longer hours MoD News 0
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS 54 historic places of worship restored thanks to government pilot scheme MoD News 0
soleil FB: RN Page: "RN Pilot (On Exchange Programme) Helps To Save Lives In The Devastating Fires In Australia" The Fleet Air Arm 2
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
G Royal Naval Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G Royal Naval Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 5
soleil FB: RN Photographers: What Happens If A Pilot Goes Down Behind Enemy Lines? Video By LPhot Dan Shepherd The Fleet Air Arm 0
S RT Eligibility: FAA Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Rolladen-Schneider LS7, pilot suffered a heart attack in-flight MoD News 0
P Pilot Exchanges Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS New report shows pilot scheme farmers boost environment outcomes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF pilot seconded to Virgin Orbit space programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pilot project using nature to tackle flooding launched in Earby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of trees planted in a pilot to help reduce flood risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: fee claims for HMCTS flexible operating hours pilot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of Smart Farm Pilot at EXPO in Paraguay MoD News 0
P Royal Navy Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Future pilot, hopefully The Fleet Air Arm 41
MoD_RSS News story: Thousands of schools to pilot new reception class check-up MoD News 0
J Pilot Exchange Program The Fleet Air Arm 17
B Warfare Officer to Pilot UPO/Careers Office 37
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Pilot peak flow requirements The Fleet Air Arm 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Universal Credit pilot to launch in North Yorkshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Seasonal workers pilot opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government pilot to help parents and carers return to policing MoD News 0
G Pilot upper age limit Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Homes England supports local authority deliver pilot MMC scheme MoD News 0
M FAA Pilot career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: ESFA extends Schools Resource Management Adviser pilot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New pilot schemes to support migrants at risk of detention MoD News 0
G FAA Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 17