Pilot Interview (Before Selection)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WannabePilot, Sep 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have the first Interview in a couple of weeks.

I am trying to join as a Pilot, I would love some advice from anyone, but obviously particularly pilots.

I would like to know what sort of questions they ask.

What sort of things they like to hear.

How do they test my leadership ability?

If anyone has recently done this same interview then your advice would be invaluable.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

They'll ask you stuff about your worldly knowledge, you know, we wear white silk scarfs, the yanks wear yellow ones, the russians red etc.

Historical stuff will be about biggles...what was the name of his dog etc... what unlucky thing did the red baron do before his last flight etc.

Economics will focus on your more mundane but still important things, I.E Is a budget brand hair gel as good as a recognised international brand, how can you justify the RAF being a part of the military, that sort of thing.

Just spend 3 hours a day infront of a mirror practicing looking good before your test date and you'll breeze it, once you start training they'll work on your endurance and after a few weeks you'll be cracking out 7 or even 8 hours a day infront of the mirror.

Best of luck and welcome to RR, an adult will be along shortly to help you out. :wink:
  3. Just remember, birds and fools fly. Have you got wings?
  4. I see everyone loves pilots :p
  5. Hi Wannabe!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

Am I right in thinking that this is your Sift Interview with the ACLO?
  6. Um I think so, its in the careers office with a Lieutenant.

It is the one before the Admiralty board. (3 days)
  7. Ask you how many flight rations you can fit in the hundreds of pockets in your flying overalls!!

Cos you really need them doing 3 hours work a day!!! :)
  8. I think this is the one before the aptitude test, then selection is after that.

But seriously, if anyone has some good advice or memories of this interview, please share.
  9. As most of posters so far are accustomed to sarcasm and general foolery, I will try shre a bit of useful information!
    Lean as much as you can off the Royal Navy website. You really need to know your training pipeline, about ships, submarines and aircraft especialy, as well as where the navy is in the world, where the navy has been in the news recently and current affairs.
    Then you'll have to give examples of leadership, teamwork, ways in which you've challenged yourself etc. look in the AIB thead for a full list of questions of what you'd get at AIB.
    Think that should help :lol:
  10. Thanks mate. :)
  11. Reckon yer wrong on that one. In my experience, most of the people telling folk they are pilots are GS wanabees. However I concede that the real pilots will be sipping G&T's, telling tales of daring do and playing conkers with there aircrew watches!!!!!!
  12. Where does a Pilot take their AIB after the aptitude test in Cranwell?
  13. HMS Sultan.
  14. That Student Thread reminded me of just how many know it alls there were at uni :p
  15. anyone know much about the aptitude test?