Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by JGLP, Apr 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.
    I'm looking for some honest answers to help me follow my dream.
    My future job is pilot, no question about it. Being in the RN as a pilot for me, would be my first choice without a doubt. However; i am mildly short-sighted and as it stands I need to wear contact lenses when I fly Vigilants. I understand that if I was to apply to the RN now I wouldn't pass the eyesight test in the medical. My question therefore is:

"If I join the RN as say, a Warfare Officer, then do the basic training to be a Officer. Once joined as a Warfare Officer I then decide that actually I want to be a pilot and fly for the RN Fleet Air Arm. Would this be possible to do taking into account my eyesight and if so what is the best way to go about it?"

Please reply.
  2. Young Sir to be :wink: you should apply to join the Fleet Air Arm , as a pilot. ( we dont put that RN bit in first as you put it!! but you will be called a Wafu!!!) Dont worry about the eye sight, all the best pilots, ate plenty of carrots and could see in the dark, but were not very good :roll: as to when it came to seeing their round in. :lol: :lol: Can you see black and yellow???? http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/scan0025a(1).jpg
  3. See here

Assuming this is up to date, your eyesight needs to be 6/12, but 6/6 corrected. So if your eyesight is 6/12, apply direct for aircrew. If it isn't, I wouldn't even bother trying for sideways entry.
  4. Scouse.
    Thanks for the tip!! I would need contact lenses to pass the eyesight test. I can see black and yellow.
  5. aljh.
    Thanks for the attachment here, thats great thanks. One question; why shouldn't I bother trying to sideways enter the fleet air arm(as pilot)? Can it be done?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For RN Aircrew, direct entry or sideways entry, applicants need to meet Visual Acuity standard 1:

Standard I (VA1)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/12N5, Left 6/12N5

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/6N5

Refraction limit:
    Total hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
    Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
    Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl +3.00 sphere

Aircrew also need to meet Colour Perception grade One.
  7. :roll: :roll: THIS THE VA1 test for Wafu Aircrew http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/kmc086(1).jpg ](Warning not work friendly - Chieftiff)
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers for that - always goes down well in a mixed office environment :cry:

Whatever happened to the precautionary: "Check blind Arcs" ?
  9. Take a wild guess.

No, seriously, it can be done, but is very difficult.

Your problem is that the eyesight requirement is still the same - they're not setting the standard for fun. If you can't pass it to get in directly, then you're not going to pass it for sideways entry. Your eyesight will be good enough for warfare, which is why they let you be a warfare officer. If you become a pilot, then just because you passed for warfare doesn't mean that they magically change the standards for you.
  10. Kinross_special.
    Thankyou and thats fair enough. But would they let me wear contact lenses or glasses through sideways entry? (bearing in mind i'm an established Officer)
    Because I know once in as a pilot and your eyesight degenerates then glasses are ok to wear.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

The branch standards remain unchanged, due to cost & CAA regulations.

It is accepted that once eyesight deteriorates, it would be a waste of money to discharge an already trained pilot, however if someone already has deteriorated eyesight, then there is even less latitude to allow for further deterioration & therefore the entry standard remains the same "in service".
  12. Sorry to hear that your eyesight is not up to the standard required for Pilot.
    However, how good is your hearing?
    If it's extremely good I would suggest training it to a high standard, at the same time practice hanging from the ceiling by your toes. If after six months of practice you may become eligible to fly with the Bats :p

13. This is what I was driving at.
    Cheers k_s.