Pillows

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gb84, Oct 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sounds stupid I know, so feel free to take the pi$$. I just got back from my RNAC at HMS Caledonia and the pillows made my eyes quite sore and swollen after the three nights, if the the pillows are the same at Raleigh i'll look like the elephant man after a week. Has anyone got any advice? Can you take your own pillow or another cover to reduce irritation?

Loved the course.

2. If its f**king your eyes up of course you can bring your own cover, common sense is great.

3. Sounds like you've caught a case of the illusive Pink Eye. haha :lol:

4. Bless.

5. Like I said, it does sound ridiculous but it makes life more difficult and I could without that at Raleigh. Thanks

6. Hearts of Oak we aint anymore!

7. You can always roll your kit up and shove it in a white front, perfect pillow

8. <<<i'll look like the elephant man after a week>>>

:elephant: :laughing3:

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

If you stop biting the pillows, you may find your eyes stop watering and swelling goes down.

10. Hypoallergenic bedding is obtainable through a one off grant payable prior to commencement of Training, the allowance will cover purchase of;
    1 Mattress cover.
    2X Pillow cases (To be used in conjunction with issued Bed linen.).
    On arrival at HMS Raleigh you should report with your purchases and receipts for same to the Sick Bay. Request an appointment with the CPOMA and on sight of the same he will issue you a chit for reinbursement of your purchases.
    Get the best you can as the allowance is generous.

PS don't be fobbed off by some barsteward MA saying the "Chiefs busy.", "they" don't like it getting out that this sort of allowance is available.

I'll try and find the relevent passages in BRs to back up this post, IIRC it's just after the 'Allownaces for steam irons' and ' Big Holdall Purcashing compensation.' sections

11. Thanks for the replies. I did try to avoid biting the pillows, but i'm new and eager to impress.

12. PMSL :lol:

13. I think you might fit in.

As it were...

14. Oh dear lord :D :D :D

15. gb84, if your mess participates in an inter-mess pillow fighting competition you'll need to make sure, if you wish to participate, that all are issued with hypoallergenic pillows! :biggrin:

16. That hadn't occurred to me, these are all things I need to sort out before arriving at Raleigh, thanks.

17. It is quite likely they were feather pillows. Maybe you're allergic to feathers? Not unusual.

18. I did wonder whether it could be the detergent used to wash the covers that you had the reaction to?

But there again I'm a mum and think of these stupid things.......let the pi$$ take continue

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ta.

Doubtless it will.

20. Quite true. I have to use Fairy Sensitive wash stuff or I suffer an itchy rash.

(No ribald comments please :biggrin: )