Picture this an AIB 1949 with an old and bold Admiral as President

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by scouse, Oct 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From John Winton book... We Joined the Navy, made me smile:-D The president of the AIB who was an admiral and whose board comprised of one headmaster, one civil servant, one psychiatrist, the commanders (E) and (S), and the Lieutenant Colonel, Royal Marines, marked their president's sigh and hunched their shoulders. They dropped their heads and waited expectantly, like Victorian children awaiting for papa to say grace. Well gentlemen, said the Admiral, here we are again. The Admiral passed a hand wearily over his forehead. As this is the first day, he said, I may as well refresh your memories on one or two items of policy. The board slumped to their seats. Remember we are not looking for normal boys. We re looking for boys who will make naval officers.There's a difference. We are looking for half-wits. The service will add the other half in its own way and in its own time. The board nodded. None of these boys will be very intelligent. If they had any intelligence the would't be here. They'd be applying for jobs outside which carry more pay and less work, like most of their contemporaries. But lack of intelligence need not concern us. An itelligent man never makes a good naval officer. He embarrasses everybody. Keep off religion and politics. They know more about that sort of thing than we do. One last point. Make sure, I implore you, gentlemen make sure you knowwhat the boys fatherdoes for a living. If he is an Admiral!! then of course you can be as facetious as you wish, but if he is a plumber or boiler maker which has an affliation to a trade union then I must beseech you to be careful. We just cannot afford any more questions in the House. It upsets the First Sea Lord and I will get it back from him later.