Pics of Uniforms

Discussion in 'History' started by Nutty, Jun 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here is a picture (poor quality) of myself in full No1 tropical rig complete with RP Basic badge just before the commissioning ceremony of HMS Loch Killisport. Pic taken on balcony of mess in HMS Terror, March 1963. I do not think I wore that rig ever again in 12 years.

Notice, creases in bells, white shoes and white tapes on the silk.

Any other unusual pics of uniforms various you wore in the Andrew.

2. And of course they were the days when we had proper caps with a bow wave not the stupid milk churn lids they have now. God save us from bean counters. Ganges 1961

3. Nutty
    Is that taken with one of those wooden cameras where the photographer puts a black cape over his head and lights magnesium powder for the flash?
  4. I notice he has the old Lee Enfield 303 not the SLR (FN). I trained on 303's and never used any other type. I was one of the last people in the British military to complete a sten gun course in 1965.

5. Yes I am an Old Fecker but not as old as some on this Forum. SLR cameras for the masses were just coming in.

Nutty SOB
  6. Remember the SLR camera's being highly sought after in 65 both Singapore and Hong Kong dealers sole a lot of Pentax Spotmatics and for those with less money the Pentax S1A. Being a lowly sprog I bought a KOWA SE SLR, non interchangeable lens and it was crap.
  7. Time to let the Panther out of the bag I think at this point. We had SMG (are they a Sten gun or a modified Sten?) We had them on the Hunts up until at least 1991/2 as I did a 1-2 day course on them as OOD. Training Classroom was in HMS Caledonia next to the disused Tiffs Carclub. We went out to a range where spud picking was taking place at the same time as we were firing. The Instructor also let us loose of a Magazine in one burst to see how many shots would be on target (most was 2-3 as they pull up to the right I think). Then he demonstrated running up the field (potato pickers very close) whilst he emptied a Mag. Maybe one on target. We thought they were ideal to clear a messdeck by throwing an SMG down the ladder (cocked or uncocked did not matter).
    I think the SLR which as a Mech Tiff we spent several years handling (backup to protect Crombie) was considered too long for a Sweepers passageways.
    When the SA80 arrived it was 2/3rds the size of the SLR (like a Barratt house really).
  8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What you had there was the Sterling SMG...
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Am I correct in thinking the creases in Jacks trousers has something to do with Naval victories and Nelson? or did folding them seven times make them fit the locker better?

Genuine question.
  10. Back in the days of yore S/M's had Sten Guns in fact up to the late 60's

Skimmers had a Weapon called a Lanchester which was basically a Sten gun with a heavy wooden butt and body together with 18" bayonet designed for ship board fighting amongst other things.

Both were slowly taken over by the Sterling (with curved magazine)

As stated the sten and its variants were very temperamental and could fire if just banged hard.

All fired 9mm ammo

11. wet_blobby

Stirling...uuurgh, horrible weapon, I was always worried about shooting my fingers off with that thing.
  13. I was told it was the Seven Seas. But the creases had to be the width of your station card apart. Only 5 creases if you were short arse and could then claim it was the five oceans.

In Kit musters everything had to be laid out so the width was the height of a Seamanships manual which is 25mm or 9 & 7/8ths inches. (just measured mine).

14. wet_blobby

15. Nutty

In Kit musters everything had to be laid out so the width was the height of a Seamanships manual which is 25mm or 9 & 7/8ths inches. (just measured mine).

That is so sad that you've just measured you manual - was that a MAN SIZE 9"

I seem to remember our kit had to be laid out the height/width of QRRN - even under pants !
  16. Thats me a sad old soul drinking for England on the Costas. It was a Volume Two Seamanship Manual not your, Baby Sailors version, that I aquired to pass my Seamans PO's Course.

PS was never even close to 9 real inches.
  18. My first training on a SMG was on the old lanchester, now that was a real b*stard to use, at least the sterling fired more or less where you pointed it
  19. Peter our GI in Singas said that the secret was always to have your 18 inch bayonet hanging on the business end which held it down and made it far more accurate.