Pics of Uniforms

#1
Here is a picture (poor quality) of myself in full No1 tropical rig complete with RP Basic badge just before the commissioning ceremony of HMS Loch Killisport. Pic taken on balcony of mess in HMS Terror, March 1963. I do not think I wore that rig ever again in 12 years.




Notice, creases in bells, white shoes and white tapes on the silk.

Any other unusual pics of uniforms various you wore in the Andrew.

Nutty
 
#3
And of course they were the days when we had proper caps with a bow wave not the stupid milk churn lids they have now. God save us from bean counters. Ganges 1961




Nutty
 

slim

War Hero
#4
Nutty
Is that taken with one of those wooden cameras where the photographer puts a black cape over his head and lights magnesium powder for the flash?
 
#5
Cloggie said:
Blimey Nutty! I didn't realize you're about as old as the road to Rome! ;P

here's a pic of my dad from about the same period (1960) .
He was a conscript in the Infantry.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9792/pamq9.png
I notice he has the old Lee Enfield 303 not the SLR (FN). I trained on 303's and never used any other type. I was one of the last people in the British military to complete a sten gun course in 1965.

Nutty
 
#6
slim said:
Nutty
Is that taken with one of those wooden cameras where the photographer puts a black cape over his head and lights magnesium powder for the flash?
Yes I am an Old Fecker but not as old as some on this Forum. SLR cameras for the masses were just coming in.

Nutty SOB
 

slim

War Hero
#7
Nutty said:
slim said:
Nutty
Is that taken with one of those wooden cameras where the photographer puts a black cape over his head and lights magnesium powder for the flash?
Yes I am an Old Fecker but not as old as some on this Forum. SLR cameras for the masses were just coming in.

Nutty SOB
Remember the SLR camera's being highly sought after in 65 both Singapore and Hong Kong dealers sole a lot of Pentax Spotmatics and for those with less money the Pentax S1A. Being a lowly sprog I bought a KOWA SE SLR, non interchangeable lens and it was crap.
 
#8
Nutty said:
Cloggie said:
Blimey Nutty! I didn't realize you're about as old as the road to Rome! ;P

here's a pic of my dad from about the same period (1960) .
He was a conscript in the Infantry.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9792/pamq9.png
I notice he has the old Lee Enfield 303 not the SLR (FN). I trained on 303's and never used any other type. I was one of the last people in the British military to complete a sten gun course in 1965.

Nutty
Time to let the Panther out of the bag I think at this point. We had SMG (are they a Sten gun or a modified Sten?) We had them on the Hunts up until at least 1991/2 as I did a 1-2 day course on them as OOD. Training Classroom was in HMS Caledonia next to the disused Tiffs Carclub. We went out to a range where spud picking was taking place at the same time as we were firing. The Instructor also let us loose of a Magazine in one burst to see how many shots would be on target (most was 2-3 as they pull up to the right I think). Then he demonstrated running up the field (potato pickers very close) whilst he emptied a Mag. Maybe one on target. We thought they were ideal to clear a messdeck by throwing an SMG down the ladder (cocked or uncocked did not matter).
I think the SLR which as a Mech Tiff we spent several years handling (backup to protect Crombie) was considered too long for a Sweepers passageways.
When the SA80 arrived it was 2/3rds the size of the SLR (like a Barratt house really).
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#10
Am I correct in thinking the creases in Jacks trousers has something to do with Naval victories and Nelson? or did folding them seven times make them fit the locker better?

Genuine question.
 
#11
Back in the days of yore S/M's had Sten Guns in fact up to the late 60's

Skimmers had a Weapon called a Lanchester which was basically a Sten gun with a heavy wooden butt and body together with 18" bayonet designed for ship board fighting amongst other things.

Both were slowly taken over by the Sterling (with curved magazine)

As stated the sten and its variants were very temperamental and could fire if just banged hard.


STEN



LANCHESTER



STIRLING



All fired 9mm ammo

NUtty
 
#13
wet_blobby said:
Am I correct in thinking the creases in Jacks trousers has something to do with Naval victories and Nelson? or did folding them seven times make them fit the locker better?

WB - I was told that tall blokes had 7 creases and short arses (like me) had 5.

This represented the 7 Seas and 5 Oceans - was told this by my old man (armourer in Korean War) and when I joined the sea cadets as a youngster and had 5 bells.

By time I joined in the 80s we had straight down creases thank god.
 
#14
wet_blobby said:
Am I correct in thinking the creases in Jacks trousers has something to do with Naval victories and Nelson? or did folding them seven times make them fit the locker better?

Genuine question.
I was told it was the Seven Seas. But the creases had to be the width of your station card apart. Only 5 creases if you were short arse and could then claim it was the five oceans.

In Kit musters everything had to be laid out so the width was the height of a Seamanships manual which is 25mm or 9 & 7/8ths inches. (just measured mine).

Nutty
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#15
Nutty said:
wet_blobby said:
Am I correct in thinking the creases in Jacks trousers has something to do with Naval victories and Nelson? or did folding them seven times make them fit the locker better?

Genuine question.
I was told it was the Seven Seas. But the creases had to be the width of your station card apart. Only 5 creases if you were shot arse and could then claim it was the five oceans.

In Kit musters everything had to be laid out the height of a Seamanships manual which is 25mm or 9 & 7/8ths inches. (just measured mine).

Nutty
Cheers,
 
#16
Nutty

In Kit musters everything had to be laid out so the width was the height of a Seamanships manual which is 25mm or 9 & 7/8ths inches. (just measured mine).

That is so sad that you've just measured you manual - was that a MAN SIZE 9"

I seem to remember our kit had to be laid out the height/width of QRRN - even under pants !
 
#17
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Nutty

In Kit musters everything had to be laid out so the width was the height of a Seamanships manual which is 25mm or 9 & 7/8ths inches. (just measured mine).

That is so sad that you've just measured you manual - was that a MAN SIZE 9"

I seem to remember our kit had to be laid out the height/width of QRRN - even under pants !
Thats me a sad old soul drinking for England on the Costas. It was a Volume Two Seamanship Manual not your, Baby Sailors version, that I aquired to pass my Seamans PO's Course.

Nutty

PS was never even close to 9 real inches.
 
#18
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
wet_blobby said:
Am I correct in thinking the creases in Jacks trousers has something to do with Naval victories and Nelson? or did folding them seven times make them fit the locker better?

WB - I was told that tall blokes had 7 creases and short arses (like me) had 5.

This represented the 7 Seas and 5 Oceans - was told this by my old man (armourer in Korean War) and when I joined the sea cadets as a youngster and had 5 bells.

By time I joined in the 80s we had straight down creases thank god.
Really? I had never heard that one before, Interesting. I seem to remember being told at Ganges that the creases were representative of the days when Jack would roll his trouser legs up when washing down the decks.

The 7 and 5 thing made sure that the creases came to roughly the same point on everyone's legs, I longed to have 7 but could always only justify 5.

I hated the new uniform when it came in but have to admit that it was easier to look after and to wear.
 
#19
silverfox said:
What you had there was the Sterling SMG...
My first training on a SMG was on the old lanchester, now that was a real b*stard to use, at least the sterling fired more or less where you pointed it
 
#20
Maxi_77 said:
silverfox said:
What you had there was the Sterling SMG...
My first training on a SMG was on the old lanchester, now that was a real b*stard to use, at least the sterling fired more or less where you pointed it
Peter our GI in Singas said that the secret was always to have your 18 inch bayonet hanging on the business end which held it down and made it far more accurate.

Nutty
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Current Affairs 25
N Diamond Lil's 2
Jenny_Dabber The Corps 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top