pics of HMS RALEIGH

jjp23

Lantern Swinger
tuts said:
2_deck_dash said:
I joined up with the PO of the guard in one of the phots.

And since when did they start letting 'tards into the Mob?
http://www.life.com/image/88959871
That will be me if I end up starting in this weather.
Some good pics on there, i like the one where they are all checking for blisters, i will look forward to that :wink: .

Don't worry tuts, the aliens will get you long before that.

jjp23 said:
tuts said:
2_deck_dash said:
I joined up with the PO of the guard in one of the phots.

And since when did they start letting 'tards into the Mob?
http://www.life.com/image/88959871
That will be me if I end up starting in this weather.
Some good pics on there, i like the one where they are all checking for blisters, i will look forward to that :wink: .

We used to tell the younger classes that the best way to avoid blisters was to soak your boots overnight in a sink full of piss, as the ammonia will soften the leather.

It doesn't actually work but it is funny when a whole class have done it and their boots stink of piss for the rest of their course.

Good times.

tuts

Lantern Swinger
Result!! Anything is better than starting basic in this weather. I will keel over and die. Bring on the Aliens!!! :whdat:

Nice pics.

Anyone care to enlighten an old salt as to what the yellow epaulettes mean on the 8s/4s ?
Presume they mean senior/passing out of training class?

:)

Some brilliant piccies, but as an ex Raleigh drill instructor, what's with the arms 15 degrees above the horizontal? :evil: (Pics 18.24.28.31.74).
Don't they teach "fingers clenched at the first and second knuckle- back of the hand flat- bear down on the thumb- arms straight- forearm parallel with the deck at your own shoulder height on the forward swing" any more? 8O :?

2BM

2badge_mango said:
Some brilliant piccies, but as an ex Raleigh drill instructor, what's with the arms 15 degrees above the horizontal? :evil: (Pics 18.24.28.31.74).
Don't they teach "fingers clenched at the first and second knuckle- back of the hand flat- bear down on the thumb- arms straight- forearm parallel with the deck at your own shoulder height on the forward swing" any more? 8O :?

2BM
Parallel to the deck ? Isn't that the squaddie way ?:scratch:

Didn't it used to be at 45 deg from the shoulders ?

But then they seem to have lanyard knots up around the neck area these days, instead of the previous "two inches above the 'Vee' of the silk"

Andrew_1980

Lantern Swinger
2_deck_dash said:
We used to tell the younger classes that the best way to avoid blisters was to soak your boots overnight in a sink full of piss, as the ammonia will soften the leather.

It doesn't actually work but it is funny when a whole class have done it and their boots stink of piss for the rest of their course.

Good times.
Ha! Genius! :lol:

edit; cheers for posting, some good pics there.

whitemouse said:
2badge_mango said:

2BM
Parallel to the deck ? Isn't that the squaddie way ?:scratch:

Didn't it used to be at 45 deg from the shoulders ?

Only in the minds of Jolly Jack, who thought that once he'd passed out of training he didn't have to march correctly any more! :lol:

2BM

whitemouse said:
Nice pics.

Anyone care to enlighten an old salt as to what the yellow epaulettes mean on the 8s/4s ?

All phase 1 trainees were them to identify them as such. They are issued with the Royal Navy epaulettes on completion of phase 1.

Drakey said:
whitemouse said:
Nice pics.

All phase 1 trainees were them to identify them as such. They are issued with the Royal Navy epaulettes on completion of phase 1.
Give then a bright pink no 1, give them the kick *********** to pass out!!!