Pickle night

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by Gillie1853, Sep 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been stung as mr vice for my unit's pickle night and I'm in deserate need of advice as this is my first and I little clue as to what is expected of me. I'm particularly worried about entertaining the mess once the top table goes to the bar as I recently watched a pongo crash and burn at Waterloo night and I'm desperate not to go through that myself. Do any of you have any handy tips, inspirational past experiences or places I can find some cracking materiel?
  2. Hello and welcome.

You are in a bit of a pickle, eh?

From whence come Ye? and, Who/What are/were you?

Without trangressing on PERSEC your answers will enable our RR experts to advise you accordigly.

3. If that's a last 4 in his name, then we'll all know who he is shortly!
  4. You're looking for inspiration for a witty speech, I think.
  5. Pass the Branston?
  6. Starting with an amusing grace would be good for starters, theres plenty around, something like:

God of goodness, bless our food,
    Keep us in a pleasant mood.
    Bless the cook and all who serve us.
    From indigestion, Lord preserve us.

When 'entertaining the troops' some topical jokes will go down well or a good dit would'nt got a miss.
    Good luck!
  7. Without giving too much away I'm a young PO living in a sgt's mess on an army camp but with plenty of other matelots around for support. I wouldn't say I'm the life and soul of the party so I was thinking of maybe doing a shep wooley monologue or the like and maybe a few jokes aimed at one of the old timers who is going outside the day after. I'm guessing I only need to kill about five minutes, I'm just keen not to screw it up. Any other ideas? Also, in your esteemed opinions, should I go for the humorous or historical toast? Cheers for all your help so far!
  8. Sorry that should have been grace not toast.
  9. Exactly!
  10. I hope he is being charged with desertion at defaulters then!