Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking Up the Brass/Map of Africa by Eddy Nugent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Eddy Nugent is the brainchild of two ex Royal Signals soldiers, Charlie Bell and Ian Deacon. Eddy is a fictional character but what happens to him is a combination of the events that happened to the two authors in the Army of the 80's.

Picking Up the Brass

Bored with the books from blokes who were second on the balcony, have a body count higher than Shipman and who walk around with harry maskers over their eyes? This is the book for you. Follow Eddy as he decides to join the Army on a whim. Learn about mad instructors at the Army Apprentices College in Harrogate and the ethic of "skive to survive" in PT sessions. Having gone through Harrogate myself (albeit as a Junior Leader, therefore i had it worse ;P) i can relate to what he went through and i even recognise some of the instructors (names changed obviously to protect the insane). After graduation, follow Eddy as he gets posted to 216 (Parachute) Signals Squadron in Aldershot. Ah, those were the days!

Eddy Nugent and the Map of Africa

For those of you not in the know, a Map of Africa is when you wet yourself. The patch on the front of ones trews usually resembles Africa (impressive) or the Isle of Wight (not impressive). Eddy is posted to Belize and has all sorts of fun and larks involving insects, alcohol and prostitutes. On his return, Eddy gets posted to the insanity that is Germany. I have to say, it's the most accurate account of squaddies in Germany that i have ever read.

To summarise, these books are bloody hilarious and should be read by everyone with an interest in the Military. Why do i like them? Well, because they are true to life and i can relate to them. Try to avoid reading them in public though, as laughing out loud is frowned upon!

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
I have put this in the reviews section. To keep any discussion in one place can you add your thoughts after the review - here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Picking Up The Brass - on sale now! The Book Club 6
FreedomTea From picking up the phone to Britannia - A guide to Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R Warfare Officer or CT (Brain Picking) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
ProudNavyWife(tooBe) Help picking a course while I wait until I can apply Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
S One hundred top brass get marching orders in new defence cuts to save £4million a yea Current Affairs 116
soleil Pompey News: "Navy’s Top Brass Bid A Fond Farewell To Dedicated Secretary" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
trelawney126 Proposed Reduction Top Brass Current Affairs 8
soleil Mail: "Shop At Ikea And Cut Back On Your Cleaners, MoD Orders Top Brass" Current Affairs 2
soleil Mail: "Top Military Brass 'Use Helicopters Like Taxis'" Current Affairs 20
NotmeChief Royal Navy morale is 'brittle', admits service top brass. Current Affairs 3
Drakey Royal Navy morale is 'brittle', admits service top brass Current Affairs 14
Guns Brass Hat promotion The Quarterdeck 13
Leatherland_NJ Brass Eye Gay Navy Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Mail: 7% Deal On Defence Cuts As Top Brass Threaten To Quit Current Affairs 5
soleil News Of The World: "Chop Brass" Current Affairs 21
finknottle The brass neck of it all. Current Affairs 55
lukep Brass Eyes ''Gay Navy'' Diamond Lil's 6
Chaz Brass Eye, Gay Navy! Diamond Lil's 0
S BRASS EYE! Diamond Lil's 8
golden_rivet Brass Bands Social & Reunions 5
MoD_RSS UK launches whole genome sequence alliance to map spread of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Map the Gap: autonomous gap crossing survey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your Learning Map to transfer to GOV.UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: EA works with Ordnance Survey to publish Master Map of the UK's water network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Map of underground pipes and cables designed to save lives and prevent major disruption MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cutting-edge digital map to boost Midlands engine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cutting-edge digital map to boost Midlands engine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK sponsors East Africa Standby Force map exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Events map launched for Victory in Europe (VE) Day celebrations MoD News 0
sgtpepperband Time lapse map of every nuclear explosion ever on Earth The Internet - Best and Worst 3
C gps app map my run inaccurate Health & Fitness 10
daffy1 Map reading The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Keeping the UK military on the map MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Keeping the UK military on the map MoD News 0
sgtpepperband The World's Most Offensive Map (Updated) Diamond Lil's 5
M Map R4i for Nintendo Dsi + Memory Micro SDHC 16GB Gaming 2
sgtpepperband Google Map Fun Diamond Lil's 7
L Pompey Dockyard Map Bases / Shore Est 33
golden_rivet simplified map of London Diamond Lil's 23
N Add yourself to This MySpace RNA World Map Diamond Lil's 0
higthepig The Map Site Issues 7
C Map my run The Corps 22