Physical Training in Today's RN

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by just_visiting, Aug 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Left to the individual in own time

100.0%
  2. Done collectively in Service time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Avoided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ladies and Gents,

Towards the end of the thread on the Carrier TV programme, a little debate was started about the standards of fitness (size etc...) of some of those that appeared, with some comparison being made with the sailors of yesteryear (tanned, fit, hearts of oak to a man etc...).

Given that topic is now dead-ish, I thought I'd continue the debate on its own thread.

Now we currently have a yearly fitness test, which is basically a run, the training for which is meant to be done in your own time. My question is whether this, alone, is enough or should we put into the working week organised and compulsory PT periods.

Levers has already pointed out the cost implications and there are undoubtedly some but wouldn't it be worthwhile to have say two 45 minute sessions a week by division (or department) run by the PTs? Not only would it drive up fitness standards but it may, he says raising his head above the parapet, give the PTs something else to do rather than arrange their next AT activity.

2. Yes there should be more PT. If for no other reason than that even the RAF laugh at us.
    I think the RNFT should be done twice a year also. Then people have less time to get unfit. ALso why not add in some press ups and sit ups. I recently had to do a REME PFT 1.5 miles in 10.30 and i think it was 60 sit ups in 2 mins, 44 press ups in 2 mins. This was by no means a high standard.

3. If you're not in date, you don't go up the increment levels nor are you eligible for promotion. If that doesn't motivate you to stay in shape, then you're not worth the time.

4. What about fat killicks who know they are not going to ever get promoted/dont want to and are topped out on increments?

5. Thats okay as long as you always have one of the PT Lesson on a Friday afternoon as in FAA rules. :w00t: :thumright:

6. OK soap box out:

If you cannot pass your fitness test you should not hold a rate of any sort - be that a commission or a hook. It is a well established fact that if you are fit you have more endurance and are more likely to be able to operate at a high tempo for a longer period, thereby increasing your contribution to the effort. The club swingers motto of 'Healthy Mind in a Healthy Body' is based on good sientific evidence.

Before I start hearing of winges about 'how do you train on a ship' etc etc - that is a pathetic excuse, pretty much every ship has a space where you can exercise, I have served on pretty much every size of ship except submarines and I have managed to keep myself fit enough to pass the RNFT. In fact I know of at least one person who manages to train enough on submarines to prep for AACC and triathlons.

If you are happy being so unfit that you are a hazard to both yourself and your shipmates then you are in the wrong service, people who cannot be motivated enough to keep themselves in a condition that means they can pass the RNFT should leave the service.

How anyone who fails their RNFT can hold their head up is beyond me. :threaten:

Soap Box Away - back to geeking in the sand

and before anyone says it I fully understand that people are unable to pass the RNFT due to injury - however just because you are injured doesn't mean you have to be so fat that you can't see your feet without lying down - again no self respect!!!!

7. PT in the Navy is shocking, there should be more stringent requirements to get in and also more higher standards.

8. I believe people should be motivated enough to look after themselves. PTI's can organise circuits etc but not everyone enjoys them. However that shouldn't stop anyone getting up on deck and doing a few laps. With such an importance being heaped upon the fitness test, it beggars belief that anyone would give it a savage ignoring. They probably deserve everything they get if they do

9. Ahhh but remember health and safety!

Apparently we're now advised against distance running on the upper deck, due to.........(drum roll)

"The hardness of the surface!"

I kid you not!

10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

J_V,
    You are entitled to train during working hours. An hour a day I think, not easy on a ship, especially for watchkeepers, but it is part of the PFS.

11. Sorry mate its an hour a week in pussers time unless on remedials.

12. The link between clicky knees and running on a steel deck is well established. Most over 40s upperdeck runners of my acquaintance have got FUBAR knee joints. The answer to this problem requires investment in better CV equipment (and a lot more of it), and providing the PTIs with the training to actually do the job of advising people on fitness regimes, instead of standing on the flightdeck shouting.

13. After working at temeraire for a short time im quite confident they are trained well enough to do this.
    They just seem to ignore it.

14. It is perfectly possible to do sufficient phys at sea - what the hell else do you do in the dogs? Rack out or phys - granted some will be getting compartments ready for rounds but that doesn't involve the entire ship!

It all comes down to personal committment: how can some people do it and others can't? There are endless excuses but all possible if you want to.

As for clicky knees and running on decks - get a decent pair of trainers and it makes no difference what you run on (unless you fall - Camrex is a bastard!).

15. I totally agree with everything said in this thread. I recently served with the bootnecks and they have PT scheduled in everyday in the morning, afternoon and during the dog watch. It was up to yourself/department to inform them of which session you were attending. The SSM was always keen to get out of work and do PT instead of actually doing some work!! Which i think helped. But I to think PT should be a compulsary thing in the Mob, it would save pusser money in the long run (stop treating all the heffers in the sickbay from dodgy ankles when on remedials ect) and inproved fitness is improved health!

16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

BKS,
    Are you certain about that? If you're right then what a waste of time what the f*** are you expected to achieve in 1 hour a week? Having said that breach of PFS? Surely not in todays navy!

17. Having started this thread, I've been quite interested by the response so far.

Obviously physical fitness is a requirement for service in today's RN. Therefore how do we best go about ensuring that people are physically fit? Yes, you can give them an hour (per week) to do phyz in work time but that does leave it up to the individual and surely we should be training together as a team (after all the "Team Works" - cringe). The Army do it and it seems to work for them and perhaps, given increasing jointery (shudder), we ought to follow their example (those that I see certainly look slightly smarter and more "military" than the latest offering from the pages of August's Navy News).

While I don't want to start a rant/thread on the PT branch, I do wonder, outside of basic training establishments, exactly what they are for?

By the way, I'm not a fitty (but I can see my shoes and pass the RNFT) but I just think there's a better way the RN can go about achieving its objective.

18. I feel bad for the PTIs they have a job to do in keeping the ships company fit. But as they cant force people to do it they are just fighting a looseing battle.
    I am with the marines at the moment. We do PT every tuesday and thursday mornings and turn to at 10.30 and have wed afternoon as a sports make a mend.
    And i think that doing this pt in work time gets people in ot it and they do more in there own time that they wouldnt have done other wise.

When in pompey dockyard you see the bandies and the chilians (sp) going for squaded runs. This would be a good thing for ships companys to start doing.

19. What about people who actually have jobs to do?

20. Like who? who coudnt be spared for an hour a week to go for a squaded run? Or an hour and a half to give time for a dhobi???