Phsycometric Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ryan.Wileman, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I have just recieved my letter today and I have my Physcometric tests on May 1st. Are the questions really as easy as they are in the practice booklet? Is there anything else on the net that may help me with it ? and if i do manage to pass how long is it generally before I have fitness tests. I am applying for Marine Engineering on the submarines.

2. If you use a search function spelling Psychometric correctly would be a good start (double hint there).
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Don't underestimate the test. it's one thing casually browsing through the practice booklet, but totally different trying to complete 120 questions in 44 minutes in a rigid test environment.

The detail here (aimed at Royal Marines, but it's the same test) may help & the links to additional tests equally valid: Recruiting Test & Example Psychometric Tests

The Medical Examination follows the Recruiting Test & the Pre Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) must be taken within 28 days of passing the medical examination.

Good luck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  4. Already realised after i posted ! I tried a sample test which i got 85% on just dont know how realistic they are
  5. Thanks stoker it was the Civil service one I tried after reading your post on that PRMC forum, and i got 12/14.
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome to RR, RW. You will find a whole host of useful (and some not so useful) information in here, but remember that it is an "unofficial" site, so take some comments with a little pinch of salt and a huge dollop of humour. Good tip, though: to preserve dignity and PERSEC (personal security) it might be wise to change your username to something a little more anonymous... :wink:
  7. Not realistic.

I'll be honest (despite not knowing my results) I believe the first two sections I did extremely well and with relative ease. However the Maths (despite me believing I am good at math) was definitely difficult against the clock and as expected I did dire on the mechanical comprehension.

You'll know yourselves what your strengths are and if you feel confident on them I'd hammer as much as you can on doing your weaker subjects against the clock as that's the hardest part when you don't immediately comprehend a question.

The test book was not a good indicator in the slightest.

Good luck mate.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

As stated at the link above:

Short of taking a quantitative sample of actual test questions, it's rather difficult to otherwise simulate the test.

The average applicant glances casually through the booklet at home the evening before the test, probably whilst watching the telly, dog barking, a can of beer on the go with a burger & fries on the side. This is reflected in the fact that about 50% of applicants in my area fail their first attempt for their first preference branch of the service.

The test conditions at the AFCO tend to be a bit more intense when twenty-odd applicants are about to determine their future career aspirations. We even turn the telly off - and their mobile phones,
  9. Do you have to remove them surgically first ? :twisted:
  10. Ninja_Stoker

It's not uncommon to have to wait a few minutes for everyone to update their Facebook status before the test & of course immediately upon receipt of the results.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. I did it a few weeks ago, the questions generally are quite easy. The thing that makes it tricky is the short amount of time you have to complete the questions, this is especially true on the maths section so if anything I would practise speeding through some psychometric tests online or acquire a book from Amazon.
  12. Did the psychometric test in January, found that I had to work quite fast to get through the questions in each section. If I didn't think I knew the answer within about 10-15 seconds I went on to the next question. For practice I went onto the BBC bitesize website which I found useful, as it's been a long time since I did my GCSE's. I did my PJFT about 2 1/2 months after the test.
  13. Hi there you may be able to clear up some confusion for me as im not quite as far as you into the process. Is the PJFT after your medical/interview or just before actually joining?
  14. Hi frank, you do your eye test and need to be passed as medically fit before you can do the PJFT. My interview was done a few weeks after the fitness test. Hope this helps.
  15. In this order (For me at least)

1. Visit career centre, fill out application forms then return them along with relevant ID
    2. Take psychometric test (usually there will be a room ful of other applicants, regular exam conditions apply)
    3. Eye test
    4. Medical (Urine, hearing, a general body examination and they will discuss past medical history)
    5. PJFT (Haven't got there yet as mine is on the 8th May but I understand there is just a 2.4km run to do in a designated time depending on your age and gender)

(this is where I am at currently and the whole process so far has taken me about 6 months...and counting!)
    Good luck :thumbright:
  16. Thanks for the advice everyone, i Passed !
  17. Congratulations thus far and good luck with the next steps :)
  18. let the waiting time commence haha
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Good effort.

The credit is entirely due to those who take the time to find out, follow the advice & take the time to revise.
  20. Ah I have my medical next week which means my PJFT isn't as far off as I thought which is good!