Phraselogy???

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by josiecats, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question for you!!
    Where do these phrases come from and what do they realy mean!!!???

A sticth in time saves nine

Cant teach grannie to suck eggs

Pulled from pillar to post

A watched pot never boils

A rolling stone gather no moss

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

See if you can add to this..... its hard to sit and think of a phrase....Oh like Off the top of my head...
    but its Monday so play along and lets smile.............

2. A rolling stone gethers no moss!! You seen the state of mick jagger lately??

3. "A question for you!!
    Where do these phrases come from and what do they realy mean!!!???"

A sticth in time saves nine a timely thread through a broken stitch can save nine later when even more will have broken

Cant teach grannie to suck eggs Grannie will have been an exponent of an old country skill far longer than you will

Pulled from pillar to post No Clue

A watched pot never boils a distortion of your perception of time passage when one wants something to happen quickly; like, I want some tea now and this kettle is taking for ever

A rolling stone gather no moss people who move around a lot tend not to acquire loads of belongings nor deep and meaningful personal attachments. A bit like away from Home Port visits, I suppose.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush I know a rather naughty variation on that! Sage country advice that it is better to have 1 of something that you've actually got than the gamble that there are 2 that you may or, probably, may not get at all.

Good old folk lore!

See if you can add to this..... its hard to sit and think of a phrase....Oh like Off the top of my head...
    but its Monday so play along and lets smile.............

No smoke without fire.

No good crying over spilled milk.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

He/Her that laughs last, laughs longest.

4. Incorrect quote PoL - it should really read:

"He/she that laughs last, doesn't get the joke" :grin:

5. A hand in the bush is worth two on the boobs

6. People who live in glass houses should'nt throw stones..Who the hell lives in a greenhouse?? :shock:

The pot calling the kettle black...isn't this racist?? :oops:

Making a mountain out of a mole hill...big ferking moles!! :wink:

Something up the bush is worth a smack in the gob!! :grin:

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

This is a very old expression that has fallen out of favour in these enlightened times of multi-culturism. In short this maxim compels immigrants to surrender their own vibrant way of life in favour of the stultified, stagnated way of life of the existing inhabitants of the country in which they are arriving - an obvious denial of the basic human rights of the immigrants. :roll:

Sorry, came over all PC there - "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." - damn right!

8. If you are alone in a room and you fart, someone will immediately enter. Not folklore I admit, but very true.