Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos... Service number doesn't match uniform!

mrskpickles

Midshipman
Hey, here are some pics of grandad in uniform. He is the one with the three bladed prop with star above, and on the other arm leading rate anchor.. Stripe underneath? And the little colours on his chest.. Does that signify where he went.. Sort of replaces medals coz clearly you can't wear them day to day!? So why then is his service number p/jx132913?? The nber was taken straight from framed medals he had done for 70th birthday. Confused?? I thought the badges etc meant leading stoker... But service number says Portsmouth, seaman/communicator. If you started as seaman and then changed to stoker would you retain original p/jx nber??? That's just my ignorant guess work! Thank you. Kirstie

Attachments

• nan and grandad mac wedding.jpg
    nan and grandad mac wedding.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

mrskpickles

Midshipman
and..is it me, or does the anchor on his sleeve not look like the standard leading rate one with the rope going through....it looks odd to me...but then pic isn't exactly sharp!

RoofRat

War Hero
Kirstie the the three bladed prop denotes his branch as an Mechanical Engineer, Stoker for short. His rate badge is the "Killick" anchor. I enlarged it and it is a standard rate badge. The stripe underneath is a 4 years good conduct badge. The "Little colours" on his chest are medal ribbons. Worn on a uniform when Medals have been awarded.
The number is for a Pompey rating whatever trade. Tiffs and Occifers had a different letter.

Stand_Still

Lantern Swinger
Kirstie the the three bladed prop denotes his branch as an Mechanical Engineer, Stoker for short. His rate badge is the "Killick" anchor. I enlarged it and it is a standard rate badge. The stripe underneath is a 4 years good conduct badge. The "Little colours" on his chest are medal ribbons. Worn on a uniform when Medals have been awarded.
The number is for a Pompey rating whatever trade. Tiffs and Occifers had a different letter.

Not so. I can't remember all the details but I served on at least one ship with guys who had a P/KX number and I have a vague recollection that they were stokers but then most of my recollections are vague these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Looking for photos of my husbands' service years Nearest & Dearest 2
N Photos etc. taken by Service Personel The Quarterdeck 4
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
clonmel Request for help with photos The Fleet Air Arm 13
soleil Portsmouth News: "18 Amazing Royal Navy Photos From Portsmouth's Past" History 0
D HMS Cambridge gunnery range photos Bases / Shore Est 15
Coggie Really old photos History 1
slim Fun with B&W Photos Hobbies & The Great Indoors 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
A Are the group photos when passing out of Raleigh, mandatory? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 83
Bad CO Modeller Seeks Help: Royal Navy Photos Wanted History 1
L CPO Fred Gannon - After any info/photos - all lost in fire. Nearest & Dearest 13
J HMS Jufair: Base to be re-established? Any memories/photos of pre 1971? Current Affairs 50
R Research: WW2 aerial photos of Java, Indonesia History 1
soleil Herald: "Search For Photos Of RM Captain Who Died In Commando Display Accident" The Corps 0
soleil Business Insider: "These Photos Show Why Britain's Small Military Is So Powerful" Current Affairs 1
soleil Photos Of HMS Ganges Bases / Shore Est 0
Guns Black and White photos to colour History 0
janner Photos Site Issues 11
S BOA 70. Any photos? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
J Old navy photos Hobbies & The Great Indoors 6
scouse Bismarck receiving first torpedo.rare photos The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: Ice patrol ship photos win Royal Navy annual awards Current Affairs 0
janner Problems posting photos Site Issues 3
finknottle Problems uploading photos from computer Site Issues 8
janner World War 2 photos. The Gash Barge 6
P Commissioning Photos wanted... History 0
BillyNoMates Rare photos of Herman the German 1920's to World War II Diamond Lil's 0
T Lost photos History 1
FlagWagger Admin question - photos in public galleries Site Issues 3
Jayhawk Farnborough 2010 photos The Fleet Air Arm 5
sgtpepperband Awkward Stock Photos The Internet - Best and Worst 4
gremlin Last call for Photos! Closing date Wednesday this week Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
brigham600 Interesting site for some photos of military sites History 3
H Army Navy 2010 Photos at Fleet Services Sports and Adventure Training 1
tug1970 photos Site Issues 3
BillyNoMates Photos vanished. Submariners 3
rockape34 Combat Stress - Photos/Images Needed for New Website Charity 0
wet_blobby Re-enactors combat killers photos Diamond Lil's 22
T WW2 photos History 4
T Photos wanted to make movie History 0
N Photos on Help For Heroes website. Current Affairs 1
sussex2 Add photos Site Issues 2
HarryBosch Our favourite photos of 2007 Current Affairs 37
wet_blobby Photos of 40 Cdo in Ganners. Current Affairs 1
D Old photos any one like to post these for me!! Submariners 8
L Photos of HMS Illustrious and US Carriers The Fleet 6
golden_rivet probs uploading photos Site Issues 7
golden_rivet holiday pics - just testing - having probs uploading photos The Gash Barge 9