Photo/video as a hobby onboard?

SMENGINEER

Midshipman
The last few years I've been getting into photography and even some video editing and have been using the boats I've been on as subjects. I've also recently got into filming with a drone. I'm just wondering what are the chances of continuing a hobby like this on board an RFA vessel?

Understandably there's probably some no go things on board but is it a common hobby on board or something that's frowned upon? What about putting videos on YouTube? Is permission needed to go around taking pictures and does the footage need checked at all?

Megalopteron

Lantern Swinger

The parts of the ship where photos and videos should not be taken are usually fairly obvious - radio room, ops room - and if there are more general restrictions in place, such as during a particular operation, it will be fairly obvious and you'll be notified. If in doubt, ask the "owner" of the compartment if photo/video is OK.

One of the COs who is a particularly keen photographer regularly sells his photos to Jane's (http://www.janes.com/).

Drone use you will need to be more careful about. Mounts Bay had a model helicopter club for a while (operating both inside on the vehicle deck and from the flight deck). Ask the Officer of the Day or OOW before operating your own aircraft in the vicinity of the ship.

bollotom

War Hero
You could do "Arty" type pics. Like bollards, boats and even anchor cable (chain) pictured from strange angles. Wildlife at sea, clouds, weather and sunrise/set but I don't know if using a drone will be allowed. I'm sure you'll find things to photograph, just takes a little imagination, and of course maximum use of manual control, auto is just too unfulfilling eventually. :cool:

SMENGINEER

Midshipman
The parts of the ship where photos and videos should not be taken are usually fairly obvious - radio room, ops room - and if there are more general restrictions in place, such as during a particular operation, it will be fairly obvious and you'll be notified. If in doubt, ask the "owner" of the compartment if photo/video is OK.

One of the COs who is a particularly keen photographer regularly sells his photos to Jane's (http://www.janes.com/).

Drone use you will need to be more careful about. Mounts Bay had a model helicopter club for a while (operating both inside on the vehicle deck and from the flight deck). Ask the Officer of the Day or OOW before operating your own aircraft in the vicinity of the ship.
Thanks for the reply. Thats a bit better than i expected actually but I'm sure no-one will be buying pictures of the shite i take lol I plan on asking permission anyway, no point in pissing people off on board but its good to know its at least allowed.

I have the mavic drone so its no bother to just take it along and if its not used then its not used. It would be cool to get some drone shots of the ship though.

SMENGINEER

Midshipman
You could do "Arty" type pics. Like bollards, boats and even anchor cable (chain) pictured from strange angles. Wildlife at sea, clouds, weather and sunrise/set but I don't know if using a drone will be allowed. I'm sure you'll find things to photograph, just takes a little imagination, and of course maximum use of manual control, auto is just too unfulfilling eventually. :cool:
Yeh its mostly just a hobby to keep me busy at sea and I'm sure ill get some of that arty shite going on, like you say theres lots of things on a boat to practice on. Like i said above, the drones just the portable mavic so its no bother to take along and just see. Might be able to take it ashore if theres an opportunity.

bollotom

War Hero
Be careful in some foreign ports. The local bobbies can be utter twonks if they think there's a medal (or a few quid) in it for them. :cool:

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
If in doubt with putting media online, contact the RFA guy at Navy Media comms and ask advice/get it cleared.

Seadog

War Hero
If in doubt with putting media online, contact the RFA guy at Navy Media comms and ask advice/get it cleared.
Don't. Ask the XO who is also the USO. If she or he can't give you an answer he or she may refer the question ashore.
If the XO says 'no' the XO means 'no, end of'.

As for foreign ports or any other port, drones are becoming a survey tool for engineers. These drones are official and just like testing ships' lifeboats, the Harbour Master needs to give approval.

Flying a hobby drone with camera from a naval vessel into a foreign country or around another nation's naval vessel, may result in the lights burning late at the MOD and FCO and the old man shuttling between UK Consulate/Embassy/High Commission, Chief of Police, Host Navy CO etc.

The old man will be embarrassed, the Prime Minister will be embarrassed. Your arse will look like it's gone ten rounds with Gary the Gorilla.

Other jurisdictions may not give a fcuk and the reaction may be downgraded to
'knob'.

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
Seadog - yes of course, apologies I've got my 'not on ship' head on. If on leave then permission would come from the RFA person at Navy Media ops.

SMENGINEER

Midshipman
Don't. Ask the XO who is also the USO. If she or he can't give you an answer he or she may refer the question ashore.
If the XO says 'no' the XO means 'no, end of'.

As for foreign ports or any other port, drones are becoming a survey tool for engineers. These drones are official and just like testing ships' lifeboats, the Harbour Master needs to give approval.

Flying a hobby drone with camera from a naval vessel into a foreign country or around another nation's naval vessel, may result in the lights burning late at the MOD and FCO and the old man shuttling between UK Consulate/Embassy/High Commission, Chief of Police, Host Navy CO etc.

The old man will be embarrassed, the Prime Minister will be embarrassed. Your arse will look like it's gone ten rounds with Gary the Gorilla.

Other jurisdictions may not give a fcuk and the reaction may be downgraded to
'knob'.
I guess I'll save it for runs ashore in countries where drones are allowed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Help with old WW1 photo History 10
soleil FB: Portsmouth News "What An Amazing Photo Of HMS Queen Elizabeth And HMS Prince Of Wales" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS ‘The kingdom through my lens’: British Embassy Riyadh launches photo competition MoD News 0
repoman RENOWN lost photo's Submariners 2
sea_mine Unknown Cruiser Found On NCAP Photo History 18
soleil Shepton/M Journal: "Somerset Flooding: 'Army? We Need The Navy!' Photo Goes Viral" Current Affairs 0
janner WW2 Photo Recon. The Fleet Air Arm 0
P Easy Jet - London bound - photo query The Gash Barge 0
N Stealth Photo Thread Diamond Lil's 21
S Facebook photo The Quarterdeck 30
SEP86 Reclaiming Driving Licence Photo Renewal Cost?? UPO 25
Magda Signature Photo Bloody Computers 7
janner Diesel Boat Reunion Photo's Submariners 0
janner Rare photo of the 1940 Tour de France Diamond Lil's 11
Naval_Gazer Home page photo Site Issues 13
B Send New Photo For Driving License Current Affairs 17
Stirling Cracking photo Diamond Lil's 9
gremlin ARRSE Photo Competition Jun '10 - £250 prizes from Towergate Hobbies & The Great Indoors 13
P I want to find the pilot on the photo. The Fleet Air Arm 3
L Can anyone help with this photo History 23
w.anchor Old ship mates photo exchange Site Issues 14
Montigny_La_Palisse The RR photo gallery Diamond Lil's 40
N Photo Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
soleil Winning Images - Peregrine Trophy 2009 - (RN Photo. Comp) Current Affairs 4
wet_blobby Poor cnut diving in mainpage photo Diamond Lil's 3
ex_rubberdagger Photo Diamond Lil's 32
S Tracing my Grandfather = photo - help Submariners 3
Pitfirrane SD Photo Card Bloody Computers 6
whitemouse Photo gallery slimming ? Site Issues 2
scouse photo gallery 70/Arethusa The Fleet Air Arm 0
frayedknotarts Looking for information on a photo History 5
BillyNoMates War Correspondent photo. Current Affairs 3
D Cyprus photo album Social & Reunions 8
S Russian submariner photo mystery Submariners 10
N Great Photo's Diamond Lil's 11
bigbaddog Photo of a Naval Rating about to swallow a helicopter. The Gash Barge 1
N San Carlos Bay Rememberance Parade Photo Current Affairs 2
M Photo Gallery Site Issues 3
SS-super-stoker Photo of the Sheffield being hit by the exocet - not Diamond Lil's 12
M DOES MY PHOTO OF GRANDAD MATCH THIS ONE TAKEN ON HMS HOOD!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
wakka That WREN LT, smutty photo shoot of? Diamond Lil's 35
Good_CO Wanted - one ship door (photo) Site Issues 24
N Another old photo History 4
M WRITING ON THE BACK OF A PHOTO...CLUES????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Photo ID of RR Persons Competition Diamond Lil's 21
A Upload Photo's Site Issues 4
andym Adolf Hitlers son,Photo proof! Diamond Lil's 14
J Photo The Fleet 11
MoD_RSS New video tech to increase remote hearings in civil and family courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK PM addresses Financing for Development event via video: 28 May 2020 MoD News 0