Phil the Greek does it again.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by WreckerL, Jul 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Legendary, I don't blame him neither :)

As far as I am concerned like many others he served bravely in WW2 as experienced officer in the RN . Whether he married the future Queen of not, he would have been very well placed with his connections through birth . And as an old man not a lot younger than he his , I really don't know how he stands and sits around for quite long periods to do all this public stuff required of Royalty. I think I would have said the same thing to the press photographer , who was being a pain in the arse. Not that anyone want to photograph me !!! But one finds oneself in basically similar circumstances where people get up your nose mistakenly thinking you're an aged pushover . Fortunately many more folk are kind and considerate and should be in their attitude to the Queen's Consort . An RN veteran of WW2.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Phil the Greek can do no wrong in my eyes. He must be my favourite Royal:cool:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. At the very least, he comes across as 'normal' most of the time, Top Hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What makes it all the more amusing for me is it looks like it was an RAF Photographer.

Mega :)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

That he offends the permanently offended is a bonus.

To use the language of 'the kids' ; he rocks.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Seems to have upset his grandson , diddums.
  8. “If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels.”

H.R.H. Prince Philip
    He makes me larf
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The man is a star, he doesn't put up with fools or arselickers and as far as I'm concerned he's earned the right to be a bit rude and outspoken on occasion. He puts a bit of spice into 'The Firm' and best of all he's one of us.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As most of you know, i adore this bloke. Let's celebrate some of his finest moments shall we?

1. China State Visit, 1986
    If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.

2. To a blind women with a guide dog
    “Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?”

3. To an Aborigine in Australia
    “Do you still throw spears at each other?”

4. To his wife, the Queen, after her coronation
    “Where did you get the hat?”

5. When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union
    “The bastards murdered half my family”

6. To a Briton in Budapest
    “You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.”

7. To a driving instructor in Scotland
    “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

8. After the Dunblane shooting
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?”

9. To a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea
    “You managed not to get eaten, then?”

10. To Elton John after hearing Elton had sold his Gold Aston Martin
    “Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car – we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”

11. On the London Traffic Debate
    “The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism, we could stop the congestion.”

12. To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes
    “You look like you’re ready for bed!”

13. Unknown
    “If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it’s either a new woman or a new car!”

14. On key problems facing Brazil
    “Brazilians live there”

15. To the matron of a hospital in the Caribbean
    “You have mosquitos. I have the Press”

And who can forget his classic to our own @2_deck_dash at a BBQ:

"Do you want a fucking sausage or not?"
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Seadog

I noticed an article disapproving HRH's ways written by the naive, never had a proper job pontificator Owen Jones in the Guardian the other day. If Jones is offended, I'm delighted, the knob.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. He did actually say that.

Dit from Arrse:

Him and the Father in Law were very close, he used to come up and stay once a year for the weekend. We'd always do a BBQ on the Sunday. In fact my in law's BBQ was built by the engineers at Sandringham and was a gift from the Duke and his missus Liz. The Duke likes to walk around with a plate of meat offering sausages to people. he even flips the odd burger and considers himself a BBQ expert, he doesn't wear an apron or anything.

One year I fondly recall him saying to me: "Christopher, could you pass me another beer please."

A little bit pissed and having settled into a false sense of comfort around him after spending the morning driving him around the estate, I passed him a can of Boddies from the cool box. He looked at it with a complete 'WTF?' expression. It only then occurred to me that he probably doesn't drink out of cans. I ran indoors to find him a glass. Well **** me, I raided the pantry, the kitchen and every other room in the house and I found every single type of glass under the sun except for a nice old fashioned pint pot.

In the end I nabbed a silver tankard that had been won as a skiing trophy from the mantle piece, blew the dust out of it, wiped it on my shirt and rushed back.
  13. That dit has a certain air of incomplete about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I was persuaded to watch the lengthy video of the naming ( don't they christen anymore ?) of the new QE carrier . Long boring business for the Duke , but for a man of his age (and I'm 85) he did alright , polite and cheerful , hope I do as well at his age. The Marines played the good old Hearts of Oak , but otherwise dreary tunes . Liked the way the Queen smashed the bottle by a remote controlled rig ! Whiskey as it was in Scotland .
    Noticed a female cymbalist , unexpected , but good luck to her , she looked like a marine bandsman , but prettier .
    The First Sea Lord had pages and pages of speech prepared and went on and on . Should have known better !
  15. Interestingly we rant at considerable length about wardroom members not treating ratings respectfully but think an ex officer and member of royalty making hugely disrespectful remarks is very amusing. Double standards or do ratings of old just like to gripe whilst secretly support elitism?
  16. Disrespectful or humorous, subjective I would of thought. I see an old boy, with old school attitudes, who cuts through all the protocols and PC bullshit and says what he thinks.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Replace "We" with "Some".
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Its 60 years ago , but I had no ambition at all to be an officer --two things -- I liked being an Submarine Electrician and second I had quite a strong North Country accent , but from a well-off lower middle class Manchester home .In those days a provincial accent was a killer for getting in the wardroom unless you took lessons !!!!.
    I always got officer's (Submarines ) respect and gave it in return .
    Once fell out with a young depot ship subby over a 8 button being undone -- was PO Electrician, then of Senior Skippers boat and got on well with my boss the 1st Lt, and could have complained at being humiliated in front of the troops , but I knew at that point I was growing out of the Navy and turned down Mechanician. Our Jimmy was a delightful man and we often went from Dolphin to Vernon to catch our respective buses home , he told me he had no future having joined during the war
    No regrets joining none regrets leaving . Some people have the right personality to deal with what I was starting to find irritable . With respect I have underlined the two key points.
    The other point I think the Navy usually reflects civilian life and goodness me that's changed , but today the problem for a competent technical men is lack of a degree . Changed from my time in civvy street after the RN in 1955.
  19. Seadog

Nothing 'ex' about the Duke. He's on the Active List and there is nothing honorary about that.

If he told me to fcuk off I'd be delighted.
    • Like Like x 4