Phase one: Beards

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Milasol, Sep 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There seems to be conflicting or outdated advice about facial hair. As a 32 year old with a full set and smart beard, would I be permitted to keep my whiskers during my phase one training please?

2. You'd have to shave it off at some point to be fitted with your respirator.

3. What I would do if I were you, is join the RN, if/when you are told to shave your set off (for aforementioned respirator test) then shave it off, you can then put a request form in to stop shaving and grow another set, now that is not too difficult is it?

4. Thank you all kindly for the insight

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No, unfortunately not.

You have to remove it during initial training. Beards are permitted after completing training.

I recently had to double-check this as there appeared to be an anomaly between training establishments, but this is no longer the case, I'm told - everyone has to remove their beard.

6. What even the lady sailors?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Very many thanks. Off it is!

8. ESPECIALLY the lumpy jumpers.

9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Thanks to an interesting reality show about pirates I've discovered on Amazon, Black Sails I believe it's called, I learnt that Blackbeard was actually female.

10. Blackbeard was a male, his pirate sister was Blackbush I think you'll find ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. That's an Hairfield in 'ampshire. Innit?

12. Is one allowed a beard at PRNC?

13. One is.

• Like Like x 3
  14. But not two, so you better check to see if anyone else is wearing one.

• Like Like x 2